PDA

View Full Version : Which rifle for Rimfire League?

Shyster
04-03-2011, 10:23 AM
I am thinking about signing up for my club's Rimfire League this year. I have two rifle choices and would like feedback from some members who have shot this type of competition before.

First choice is a Marlin 17VS with a 8.5x24AO Mueller scope and Harris bipod installed. The trigger is godawful and the bolt desperately needs polishing but I would install a Rifle Basix replacement trigger if I go this route (probaby will in anyways if I keep this rifle). The scope focuses all the way down to 15 yards.

Second choice is a Remington 541-T. The scope is a 3x9 Simmons and no bipod installed. Not sure if the scope is up to the task demanded so may need to replace it. Would also need to install a bipod on this one. The trigger and action are fantastic.

I really like the 17HMR for its flat shooting but since we are shooting at 25 yards that is pretty much irrelevant. Both are heavy barrels.

Any suggestions?

GarrettJ
04-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Hard to say when we don't know the particulars of the league. Bullseye, for example, is a bit different from the various run 'n gun sports.

With that being said, you should either use the one that you personally shoot the best for that style of shooting, or shoot the one that you want to get to be the best with.

If nothing else, take the two to the range and set up a stage as if you were shooting the match, and run them both through it. Does one greatly outperform the other?

Shyster
04-03-2011, 01:16 PM
As I understand it the targets will be 1" circles with bullseyes about the size of a dime. Range is 25 yards. From what I gather the winning score is usually better than 480/500.

As far as which one I am more comfortable shooting, I am embarrassed to say that I have no idea. I have not shot the 541-T at all and only about 20 rounds from the Marlin before I decided the trigger sucked beyond all reason and I put it away.

GarrettJ
04-03-2011, 01:18 PM
As far as which one I am more comfortable shooting, I am embarrassed to say that I have no idea...
Sounds like an excellent reason to hit the range. :thumbup:

Ol` Joe
04-03-2011, 01:22 PM
For 25yd shooting the 22 is more then accurate enough and the 541 is one of the more accurate sporter wt rifles out there for it. I`d pay the extra for a couple brands of good match ammo (17 will cost ya as much and no match grade is offered) and see which your rifle prefers. Wolf match is a good choice as a place to start looking.
if you were looking at 50+ shooting the 17 would start looking better due to the lower wind drift and drop

john.41
04-03-2011, 01:43 PM
I am very partial to Remington bolt action .22s. You can't go wrong with the 541-T. Are you limited in the magnification you can use in the matches? I may be able to help with a suitable used scope. Need to know how much magnification and weight is allowed in the class you plan on shooting.
Should be great fun!

Shyster
04-03-2011, 01:58 PM
I am very partial to Remington bolt action .22s. You can't go wrong with the 541-T. Are you limited in the magnification you can use in the matches? I may be able to help with a suitable used scope. Need to know how much magnification and weight is allowed in the class you plan on shooting.
Should be great fun!
No limitations on magnification whatsoever. What kind of scope ya got?

john.41
04-03-2011, 04:11 PM
PM sent.

wadevb1
04-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Just drill and tap your '52. :crosshai:

Shyster
04-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Just drill and tap your '52. :crosshai:
I couldn't bear the thought...

wadevb1
04-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I couldn't bear the thought...

Old girl should be shot. Ken Viani makes mounts that utilizes existing holes.

Unless your looking for an excuse to buy another rifle. :)

http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/Viani/

john.41
04-03-2011, 07:53 PM
I've always heard Winchesters are for collecting and Remingtons are for shooting though. :roll:

wadevb1
04-03-2011, 08:05 PM
I've always heard Winchesters are for collecting and Remingtons are for shooting though. :roll:

I still regret selling my 40X twenty years later.

Shyster
04-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Old girl should be shot. Ken Viani makes mounts that utilizes existing holes.

Unless your looking for an excuse to buy another rifle. :)

http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/Viani/
I already own the other rifles but those mounts are interesting as hell. Sent him an email...

I *******g LOVE my 52B!

wadevb1
04-03-2011, 08:59 PM
I already own the other rifles but those mounts are interesting as hell. Sent him an email...

I *******g LOVE my 52B!

Would look great wearing an Unertl.

Alton
04-13-2011, 02:17 PM
HI Shyster,

Im sending You a PM about the Rimfire league.

P.S. For the league get a CZ 452 .22lr

dsuggs
04-22-2011, 09:24 AM
look at the savage mark II Bsev

http://www.savagearms.com/images/firearms/finder/big/markiibsev.png
somone at a gun shop in waterford showed it to me he and the owner were drooling over it after seeing it they spent bout 10 mins talking about it and i started drooling!