PDA

View Full Version : Taurus PT709 SS "Slim" in Stainless

ranttrmike
04-04-2011, 02:17 PM
I purchased my PT709 or "Slim" as a lot of people like to call them about a month ago. I have had it to the range 3 times now, and have fired about 500 rounds from it.

First of all, when you get this pistol you MUST CLEAN IT. Taurus has loaded it with grease, it's all over the place, and it does affect the accuracy badly.

This is a NICE looking pistol, and pretty lightweight for a 9mm.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gunblast.com/images/Taurus-PT709/DSC08632.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-PT709.htm&usg=__I_C95amHFnmPfyowSZfi7Wio4TA=&h=480&w=640&sz=27&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=H9SqaoGP4qnXmM:&tbnh=141&tbnw=178&ei=HhaaTf-nN-ex0QHb9tD-Cw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtaurus%2Bpt709%2Bphoto%26um%3D1%26hl% 3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1040%26bih%3D714%26tbs%3Disc h:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=740&vpy=81&dur=2555&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=130&ty=133&oei=HhaaTf-nN-ex0QHb9tD-Cw&page=1&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0

The Pro's:
Light Weight, nicely ergonomic and fits well in large hands. I have let a "smaller" handed male fire this gun and he loved it!

After 200 rounds steady I found that I hurt more from stuffing shells in the clip than from shooting it. I have had other 9's bit my hand to the point that I had to stop firing for a bit. Not this one!

Nice sites, white dots on left and right, and up front. It comes up nice and is easy to find the sites.

No hammer let down to mess with, and no hammer period.

Single/Double action is nice too, when you load it up it's ready to go in "single action" mode (ie: the hammer is back). If you have a misfired shell, you just pull the trigger again and it works as a double action allowing a second "hit" to the primer.

It does have a tiny little shell in chamber indicator on the top. When in doubt rub your finger over it, and you'll know there's one in there.

Comes with 2 clips, it's a 7+1 configuration. I bought a 3'rd just in case.

Easy to take down and clean, mostly "Glock" like in disassembly.

No "clip safety". If the clip is out and a shell is in it, you can fire it.

Hold-open on last shell for the action as well.

The Cons:

First, you need to CLEAN IT WELL. Like I said earlier, it's loaded with grease from the factory. I think they put some type of wax coating over the stainless too, it had a "sticky" feel to it. A little cleaner on the top also solved this issue.

Mine shoots about 4" low and 4" left. This is a common complaint with this gun. You do have a small windage adjustment on the rear site, and a small up/down adjustment, but not 4" worth. I called Taurus and I could send it back ($80.00 round trip) to have it looked at, or spend $20.00 for a "lower" front site. I bought the front site, problem resolved.

The hold-open is manual if you pull it back with no shell in it. It's a little hard to work for a big hand, but you can lock it open with some practice. The S&W and Glocks are definitely easier to work.

Final Rating:

I'll go 5 of 5 for now. She's a little beauty and works well. There aren't a lot of accessories for it yet, no molded holsters or such. Crimson Trace did get a pre-release of this model and DOES have a nice self-installed red-dot for it (mine is on the way).

Ask if you have any questions or concerns about this one.

YZR
04-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the review. I am beginning to look around for a small carry 9mm and this one is on the list along with the Ruger LC9 and SIG P290.
Nice writeup!

cumminatcha
04-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Glad you like yours! I have one that I've had for quite a while and carry on a regular basis. I'm giving it a thumbs up, also.

TomE
04-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I take it that yours is a Gen II model ?

ranttrmike
04-04-2011, 07:40 PM
I don't believe so, where would I look? It doesn't say anything, unless it's serial number related.

wchancey
04-04-2011, 10:05 PM
I also have a 709 , have put over 1000 rounds through it and no problems.

But like you mine shoots low and left , I called Taurus and asked if they would send me a new sight , answer was no.

They said I could send it in for warranty work if I wanted to. I don't want to I feel lost without it.

Where did you get a smaller front sight and was it had to put in.

To compensate for the sighting problem I put a Crimson Trace laser on it and it works great.

But I would like to have the sights right with it. I can only find a OWB holster that fits with the laser on.

Just noticed the Gen 2 comment , that comes with an eight shot mag does anyone know if it will fit the first 709's

ranttrmike
04-05-2011, 04:42 AM
I also have a 709 , have put over 1000 rounds through it and no problems.

But like you mine shoots low and left , I called Taurus and asked if they would send me a new sight , answer was no.

They said I could send it in for warranty work if I wanted to. I don't want to I feel lost without it.

Where did you get a smaller front sight and was it had to put in.

Call Taurus customer service, tell them your model number, serial number, and that you want to order the short front site. Address and credit card number follow and you're good.

jimcald
04-05-2011, 10:37 AM
I have the 709 also (Black, not SS) and love it. I have not experienced the same low and left issues that others have reported but it could be something in the way I hold the gun (I know my form sucks...lol). It was very comfortable to shoot but got even better when I bought the Hogue Jr. slip on glip, it adds just the smallest amount to the grip thickness but makes it even more comfortable for extended shooting. If the grip is put on upside down it fits great. I am not a small man (6', 300#) and this gun wears great in an IWB holster and I barely notice it is there. I have put over 500 rounds through it so far with the only trouble coming from crappy ammo (TulAmmo).

wchancey
04-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Call Taurus customer service, tell them your model number, serial number, and that you want to order the short front site. Address and credit card number follow and you're good.

Is it hard to install ?

collector5401
04-07-2011, 07:05 PM
My gf Picked up the 709 and I love the way the gun feels but we have not gotten it to the range yet. Thinking about heading to advanced ranges this weekend to take it for a test drive.

ranttrmike
04-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Is it hard to install ?

No, if you can disassemble the gun for cleaning and work a screw driver/pliers, it's simple.

Take a cloth and put it over the front site (thin, nothing thick), grab it with pliers, and put a screw driver into the screw on the bottom of the slide under the site, and turn. Reverse procedure for installation.

twotap
04-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Not saying this is the problem but low and left is often times the shooters fault. Jerking the tigger will cause just such a scenerio. Try benching the weapon solidly and put even pressure on the trigger. If the low and left goes away you need to work on your trigger release, if its still there its probably misaligned sights.

ranttrmike
04-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Not saying this is the problem but low and left is often times the shooters fault. Jerking the tigger will cause just such a scenerio. Try benching the weapon solidly and put even pressure on the trigger. If the low and left goes away you need to work on your trigger release, if its still there its probably misaligned sights.

Done that! Thank you for the advice. I too was concerned it was me, although I can shoot my .32 S&W relic, .38 S&W relic, .38/.357 magnum without the issue I was not going to "assume" it wasn't me. I am my own worst enemy at times.

I not only benched it and carefully squeezed off two magazines, but had a firearms instructor do the same. His target matched mine.

I have installed the "lower" version of the front site and all is fine with the world.

BWHaas
04-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Quick question for the PT709 owners. Is it easy to engage the manual safety? I have heard that sometimes during shooting, one can engage the safety and lock the gun up. I am asking because I have not gotten to the LGS to check one out and my wife really wants this for a carry gun.

TomE
04-19-2011, 11:55 AM
I never had a problem with the safety on either` of my 2 709's .

The low and left is probably from your trigger finger sliding to the second joint of the index finger because of the really long trigger pull .

This long trigger pull helps prevent ND's , but doesn't eliminate the possibility

You start out on the pad ,squeeze the trigger ,it doesn't go off yet , so you squeeze more and your finger slips ,yanking the gun down and to the left for rightys .

I fixed that by wearing a non-slip band-aid on my trigger finger

I got tired of wearing the band-aid for that reason ,among other issues , so I sold both 709's

ranttrmike
04-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Quick question for the PT709 owners. Is it easy to engage the manual safety? I have heard that sometimes during shooting, one can engage the safety and lock the gun up. I am asking because I have not gotten to the LGS to check one out and my wife really wants this for a carry gun.

NEVER, you have to TRY to put your thumb up that far to hit the safety, and if you DO get it up there and pull the trigger, you're going to need stitches!

TomE
04-19-2011, 05:41 PM
I disagree , I used neosporin ,butterflys ,gauze and tape

BWHaas
04-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Okay, I figured. There were a couple of guys that had posted on a different forum when I was searching some reviews on the gun. I thought it looked a little farther than that.

ranttrmike
04-21-2011, 04:49 AM
Ah, you were smart enough to stop after the first trigger pull. Unlike some OTHER person I know (NOT me).

TomE
04-21-2011, 06:29 AM
Once was more than enough ,the resulting gash required several butterflies , thats all