PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Rifle Scope Configurations

hashelocmaccabee
04-06-2011, 12:04 PM
I was looking at different long range rifle scopes and was wondering what the MGO community thought. I would do this as a poll, but think there are too many options.

Magnification

3-9x
3.5-10x
4-12x
4-20x
6.5-24x
8-32x

Objective Diameter

35mm
40mm
44mm
50mm
56mm

Tube Diameter

1"
30mm

Turrets

Standard Turrets
Target Turrets
High Tactical Turrets (M1 style)
Wide Tactical Turrets (M3 Style)

Reticule

Crosshairs
Fine Crosshairs
Mil-Dot
Other
Illuminated

wadevb1
04-06-2011, 12:23 PM
What is long range to you?

Hunting, target or both?

Tom Fineis
04-06-2011, 12:24 PM
What caliber and type of rifle?
What range(s) are you going to be shooting?
What type and size of targets?
Paper punching, moving targets, unknown distance?
Sunny summer days, or competitions in crappy weather?

john.41
04-06-2011, 12:37 PM
You better add price range into all the other info needed to make a decision.

wadevb1
04-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I did a little thinking on this topic.

For a starter, I'd recommend something in the 4.5x14 range. The tube isn't too important and while it may limit you in elevation you can always add a 20 MOA base. A 50mm objective isn't going to provide you much benefit unless it is attached to a 30mm tube.

Some warn against high magnification for mirage conditions, but you can always back it down. Turrets are a personal matter. but as long as they have a positive feel (click) you will be fine. I started with a Leupy 4.5x14 and graduated to 5.5x22x50 and found it to be a perfect range for hunting and LR shooting (1K)

I'm a big fan of illuminated thin reticles.

I can also see my bullet holes in paper at long distance which saves me the walk or the cost of a spotting scope.

Groo
04-07-2011, 01:45 PM
If I were to buy a new hunting scope, it would be a step or 2 above my current 3-9x. objective, I'd do 44 or 50mm. I picked up a scope with a Burris Balsisticplex reticle recently. I like that one. not too much different than a standard duplex, just added a couple of hash marks for long range. just a standard turret for me. tube diameter doesn't make that much difference, but it does make some, so I'd snag a 30mm if all else was equivalent.

fr3db3ar
04-07-2011, 06:43 PM
on my 223 I have a fixed 10x mildot 1"
on my 308 I have a 4.5-30 mildot 30mm

I like the both for their purpose.

LongAction
04-09-2011, 06:57 AM
A 10x FFP will get you out to 1000yards with no problem

hashelocmaccabee
04-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Sorry, I got busy and forgot I had this post up.

I guess I should have put more parameters for the thread. Let's knock out brand names, price range, and things like that and focus on the features. What is your personal preference for your reasons.

Long Range in a competition setting, various known and unknown distances and weather conditions. Long Range is ultimately subjective. For some it's 800+ yards, others it may be any distance they can't shoot well at with only iron sights. Caliber is the choice of the shooter as I have options to choose from.

EXAMPLE:
10x fixed power; Don't need variable powered scope as I usually use the highest power all the time, and 10x works well in high heat and mirage conditions.
40mm objective; allows scope to be mounted closer to the bore and less elevation adjustments needed compared to higher mounts.
30mm tube; allows for more elevation and windage adjustments
target turrets with covers; turrets wont get bumped off zero on accident
reticule: no preference other than not illuminated. Haven't needed illumination and most often know the distance to target.

hashelocmaccabee
04-12-2011, 03:39 PM
A 10x FFP will get you out to 1000yards with no problem

If it's a fixed powered scope, does FFP really matter?

ltdave
04-12-2011, 06:00 PM
i personally like this set up:

http://www.rossprecision.com/products_sights.htm

with a this on the back end:

http://www.hps-tr.com/images/rpa/trakker2.jpg

but then thats me...