PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Travelers: Leave Gun at Home

Knimrod
11-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Holiday Travelers: Leave Gun at Home
11/16/2005
WZZM13 Grand Rapids

http://www.wzzm13.com/assetpool/images/04112315046_airport2.jpgCascade Township - The holiday travel season is quickly approaching. A record number of air travelers could pass through Grand Rapids this Thanksgiving. The number of travelers at Ford International Airport could go up 15 to 20 percent this holiday season, compared to a normal day. More people mean more time, and more security.

Christine Mitchell and her relatives are leaving snowy Grand Rapids for a family trip. She says, “We're going to Las Vegas, Nevada." The family travels together two or three times a year, so they know to arrive early, and bring playing cards to pass the time.

Bruce Schedlbauer of Ford International Airport says it's especially important to plan ahead when you travel over the holidays. He says, “Limit the number of carry on bags. Airplanes are going to be jam packed full. Overhead bin space is going to be at a premium."

That's not all you should keep in mind if you're flying this Thanksgiving. Christine Mitchell tells travelers, “Don't put any firearms in your luggage, they frown on that."

You might be surprised how many people do try to carry a gun onto a plane. Ten people were caught in Michigan so far this year, two in Grand Rapids. U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Michigan Margaret Chiara says, “What we're talking about here are not dangerous felons who are in possession of a gun. These are otherwise law abiding citizens. Of course, their claim, as you all would expect, is it is inadvertent, completely unintentional."

But, it doesn't matter if it's an accident. Transportation Security Administration Federal Security Director John Mumma says, “To be very frank about it, we don't care how the weapon got there. If you're the traveler, the weapon is in your bag, you're at my checkpoint, you're at fault."

Even if it's an accident, your punishment could be a fine of $3,000 or more, probation, and losing your conceal carry permit.

TSA officials also remind travelers this holiday season to leave lighters at home, don't carry on a knife, and leave packages unwrapped.

Link to story (http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=46903)

appliancebrad
11-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Typical stupid a#% story that doesn't tell the real truth about travel with firearms. It's perfectly legal to check an unloaded firearm yet they don't say a word about that. Really poor reporting here.

Kimber45
11-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Typical stupid a#% story that doesn't tell the real truth about travel with firearms. It's perfectly legal to check an unloaded firearm yet they don't say a word about that. Really poor reporting here.

Yep, I travel quite often with firearms and have yet to have any problem checking my bag. Half the time the ticket agent or the TSA agent don't bother to look at it.

goldwing2000
11-17-2005, 10:07 AM
They did mention one thing in passing that I discovered recently: lighters. The gf bought a Zippo when we were in Vegas and she wasn't allowed to bring it on the plane. She had to exit security, spend like $15 to mail it home and then re-enter security.
I don't know what asshat decided that a cigarette lighter is a deadly weapon but this crap is getting ridiculous.

I'm glad we're driving to SC next month. :mad:

ROOKIESHOOTER
11-17-2005, 04:45 PM
They did mention one thing in passing that I discovered recently: lighters. The gf bought a Zippo when we were in Vegas and she wasn't allowed to bring it on the plane. She had to exit security, spend like $15 to mail it home and then re-enter security.
I don't know what asshat decided that a cigarette lighter is a deadly weapon but this crap is getting ridiculous.

I know how you feel I have had similar problems in the past, I drive everywhere now if I can not get there by driving I dont need to go.

And they wonder why the airlines are going under

Godfather JAM
11-17-2005, 04:53 PM
All it takes is one A-hole trying to set off a shoe bomb with a lighter ('cause we made it harder to get a blasting cap) and now we can't have them , or keep our shoes on in security.

enfield
11-17-2005, 10:13 PM
I've driven to California and back 4 times since 9/11. And the airlines are declaring bankruptcy. Wonder if there's a connection there - like the TSA?

CS40
11-19-2005, 08:31 PM
All it takes is one A-hole trying to set off a shoe bomb with a lighter ('cause we made it harder to get a blasting cap) and now we can't have them , or keep our shoes on in security.

The interesting thing is that under the TSA regulations, they can not force you to take your shoes off. I usually travel wearing sneakers (no metal) and generally do not have to take off my shoes since that ruling. In Detroit, they don't seem to mind. Only once was I asked to take my shoes off at DTW, I asked if I had to, they said no and I proceeded through the metal detector without incident.

Now in Phoenix, TSA apparently hasn't read the rule book. They force everyone to take off their shoes. I was going to argue the point, but I didn't want the rectal cavity search for being a troublemaker...