PDA

View Full Version : Bill could revise gun laws

Knimrod
11-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Bill could revise gun laws

Legislation aims to ease restrictions on carrying firearms

By KRIS TURNER The State News
November 15, 2005

While deer hunters across the state gather their guns for opening day, legislation in the state House could make it easier for people to transport firearms in their vehicles.

According to Michigan law, it is illegal to transport a firearm unless the owner has a hunting license, is traveling to or from a firing range or has a concealed weapons permit.

The legislation would amend the state law to allow people who own firearms to transport them in the trunk of a vehicle, while unloaded, without a hunting license or a concealed weapons permit. It also includes similar measures for the transportation of bows, arrows and crossbows.

"Currently, the way the state law is written, if you are transporting a shotgun, that is illegal," said state Rep. Tim Moore, R-Farwell, who is the primary sponsor of the legislation. "It's not really being enforced, but it's out there and needs to be cleaned up."

One hunter did cite concern with the bill, saying it could open the door to letting minors transport guns in their vehicles.

"I don't see anything wrong with the bill as long as the guns are unloaded," said Kimberly Hooper, a Potterville resident. "My only fear would be kids showing the guns off."

Michigan law states that it is illegal to sell a firearm to a minor.

Hooper said it's important people know how to properly handle and safely store firearms so that they don't fall into the hands of someone who isn't trained to use them.

The legislation is important because many people are breaking the law and not realizing they are doing it, Moore said.

"(Hunters) will be pleased to know that this is taken care of," he said. Moore is a pheasant hunter.

The bill was referred to the House Committee on Conservation, Forestry and Outdoor Recreation.

Rep. Joel Sheltrown, D-West Branch, who is on the committee, said he would probably vote in favor of the bill because it is "common sense." He said he had thought it was currently legal to transport an empty firearm in the trunk of a vehicle.

Jerry Christoson, a St. Johns resident and hunter, also said he thought state law allowed people to transport firearms in the trunks of their cars.

"I thought you could do that now if it was unloaded and locked," he said, adding he usually hunts pheasant and deer throughout the season.

Link to story (http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=33165)

45 acp
11-18-2005, 05:42 AM
I thought that the Vear Transportation bill that was passed a few years ago took care of this problem.??????????????????

khicks
11-18-2005, 08:24 AM
that was my thinking to, that the vear bill that was passed 2 years ago solved this problem. or may be the, the person the wrote this artical did not know what there talking about

appliancebrad
11-18-2005, 09:51 AM
that was my thinking to, that the vear bill that was passed 2 years ago solved this problem. or may be the, the person the wrote this artical did not know what there talking about

Vear only applies to handguns. Steve was my Rep and we stay in close contact. This Bill will clean up state law in regards to bows, crossbows and long guns.

enfield
11-18-2005, 03:06 PM
It's about time!

Batman
11-19-2005, 12:41 AM
1+