PDA

View Full Version : Tanning a deer hide???????

msbcomputer
11-21-2005, 09:14 AM
I was just wondering if anyone here has ever tanned a deer hide with the hair on and what the results were? I would like to try this year but would rather not try brain tanning. It doesnt seem that hard with the kits available but I dont want to spent the time and money to get a finished hide that is hard or the hair falling off.
Any info??????
Found this kit online....
http://www.thetanneryinc.com/HomeTanningKit.html

appliancebrad
11-21-2005, 09:27 AM
It's a large amount of work but it can be accomplished without the hair slipping. If you don't have a fleshing beam, the hide can be fleshed on a bench with a sharp knife at a lot of hard work. A beam and fleshing knife makes it go much quicker. A friend of mine has used the tanning products and they work well. The biggest task is "breaking" the hide after it is tanned. That is what makes it soft and supple. You will spend the most hours doing this.

I would look at the cost of the materials (about $25 to do a hide) versus paying a tannery to do it.

Autumnlovr
11-22-2005, 06:51 AM
versus paying a tannery to do it.
Brad,
Do you know a reputable tannery? How do you find them?

msbcomputer
11-22-2005, 08:13 AM
I decided to send mine to Vassar Tanning. They have done others for me in the past and did a good job. I called yesterday and was told it would be $100.00 with the hair on. Buckskin was about 50.00 from what I remember.

Not a very good website and even the guy I talked with made jokes about it but they have been in business a long time.

http://www.vassartanningandtaxidermy.com/

appliancebrad
11-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Brad,
Do you know a reputable tannery? How do you find them?

We use these guys here in town, K & K Tannery 517-523-3196. They are on M-99 just south of Hillsdale. I've found them to be reasonable and to do nice work.

RSF
11-22-2005, 10:13 AM
have used them as well brad, good place to deal with

joen
12-02-2005, 08:33 AM
I tried to tan a hide years ago, when I was more adventurous. It turned out like road kill that was in the road awhile, but the hair stayed on. Had it hanging in the den awhile but wife eventually 'lost' it while cleaning some time ago.

Considering the materials and time required, I'd suggest having pros handle the tanning.