PDA

View Full Version : Students speak out for 2nd amendment

Knimrod
11-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Students speak out for 2nd amendment
By: Sean Gough
11/18/05

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper339/stills/987bf4yf.jpgTen members of the College Republicans celebrated self-labeled "Second Amendment Day" Saturday at the Easton Fish and Game Association (EFGA). Range members taught students to shoot various types of weapons and about gun safety and legislation.

First-time shooter Sara Walter '09 said "learning to shoot was very exhilarating because it was a chance...to physically exercise one of my rights as an American."

Matthew Weiss '07, College Republicans vice president, who had never shot a gun before either, said that, for him, "physically, shooting a gun was a great challenge in stamina and marksmanship."

According to EFGA President Bob Bajor, it was important to talk about the history, philosophy, and firearms regulation and tell students "the truth about firearms that they never see in the mass media - how safe the sport of shooting is." He noted that since 1930, firearms ownership is up 400 percent, but firearms accidents are actually down 70 percent. "That's reality, not the propaganda," he said.

When a CR officer approached him with the second amendment event, Bajor said the group's members were so excited, they offered their time, resources, and range space for free. "[EFGA members] were glad to find out that not all college students were Democrats," he said.

The right that the CRs exercised Saturday has been the subject of two centuries' worth of fierce arguments. The possession and use of weapons, especially guns, in American society is a contentious issue, even among college students.

"The 2nd Amendment is an important issue because it is a direct reflection of an individual's right to life, liberty, and property," Nick Baldwin '06 said. "Even though the law enforcement system today has been greatly improved since the days of our Constitution's inception, the 2nd Amendment is still necessary to act as the backbone or muscle behind preserving our natural rights."

Private institutions, such as colleges and universities, however, are able to establish independent policy. According to the Lafayette College Student Handbook, "Firearms, air guns, and other hazardous items or weapons of any kind, including ammunition, firecrackers, gun powder, and chemicals, are strictly prohibited and, if found, will be confiscated and the owner subject to disciplinary action, including suspension." Only two students have been suspended for firearm possession in the past 15 years, said Acting Dean of Students Kevin Worthen.

"In light of recent events on College Hill, I believe that people should recognize their right to protect themselves," Weiss said. "At a certain point, possessing a gun is no more violent than possession of a golf club. If I wanted to, I could go kill someone with a nine iron. As cliché as it might sound, it's not guns that kill people, people kill people."

"There is little empirical data to support the theory that guns are a major threat or an undeniable evil that only hurts our safety," Viktorija Gecyte '06 said. "In my mind, it is much more important to educate people and make them aware of…how to use guns safely rather than arbitrarily cut their choices [for self-defense or any other purpose]."

Gecyte said she is "terrified" by the word 'guns,' but she does not approve of the government controlling the personal decisions of its people. She also said she thinks banning guns or putting restrictions on them "glorifies" the weapons and "indirectly encourages" the black market.

"I'm not opposed to ownership, but I do think that serious background checks need to be performed, and if someone does not have the credentials for responsible ownership, they should be denied their right," Amanda Finkelstein '07 said.

"Those who do have the right need to be careful about where they keep their guns, especially around children and even some teens. There have been far too many school shootings and other instances of violence due to irresponsibility with respect to gun possession," she said.

Link to story (http://www.thelaf.com/media/paper339/news/2005/11/18/News/Students.Speak.Out.For.2nd.Amendment-1108705.shtml?norewrite&sourcedomain=www.thelaf.com)