PDA

View Full Version : Frog Hunting

Downtown
04-13-2011, 02:45 PM
So my kids want to go frog hunting. We have acres and acres of frogs here at home.
Is a frog spear what I need? We would be hunting marsh areas by foot not out in a boat.
Also do you skin the legs?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Buzzcat
04-13-2011, 02:57 PM
A "frog gig" (spear) is good, but here's a different way that a cousin taught me about 40 years ago (I was eight at the time, lest ye think I'm 102 years old :lol:):

Get a basic fishing pole and put a small panfish hook on the end of the line, nothing else.

"Bait" the hook with a small piece of red yarn, about 1.5-2 inches long. Yep, plain old red yarn... just set it on the point of the hook and let it dangle.

Keep it airborne and dry, and just dangle it in front of the frog's nose, and he will definitely hit the hook. Reel him in, repeat.

Last but not least, the state has laws about taking reptiles, so make sure it's legal to frog hunt in your area, and more importantly, make sure the above method I suggested is legal before you try it... nobody cared 40 years ago, maybe they do now.

Ruger
04-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Yo yo yoooooo don't kill them! they can still lead somewhat productive lives!

http://www3.telus.net/9/frogs_on_wheelchairs1.jpg

Easyrider49
04-13-2011, 06:20 PM
I wonder how a blow gun would do ?????

who dat
04-13-2011, 06:25 PM
We used to gig 'em or whack 'em with an oar. A stick will work...just knock 'em unconscious.

Then we'd bring in a bag full and Uncle Martin would mount them to a board with a nail through the head.

A slice around the waist and a pull on the skin would "depants" them. Cut through the body at the waist, trim the feet off and then a roll in the batter and voila! Fine dining!

Memories!

Skinner 2
04-13-2011, 07:42 PM
I wonder how a blow gun would do ?????

No frogs cannot be shot, You will need a fishing license and there is a season on them. They are not open right now.

Skinner

Venator12
04-13-2011, 07:58 PM
I have used a fly rod and a fly. Dangle the fly near their mouth and they flick their tongue out and get caught on the hook. Works well.

BmanC21
04-13-2011, 09:17 PM
A "frog gig" (spear) is good, but here's a different way that a cousin taught me about 40 years ago (I was eight at the time, lest ye think I'm 102 years old :lol:):

Get a basic fishing pole and put a small panfish hook on the end of the line, nothing else.

"Bait" the hook with a small piece of red yarn, about 1.5-2 inches long. Yep, plain old red yarn... just set it on the point of the hook and let it dangle.

Keep it airborne and dry, and just dangle it in front of the frog's nose, and he will definitely hit the hook. Reel him in, repeat.

Last but not least, the state has laws about taking reptiles, so make sure it's legal to frog hunt in your area, and more importantly, make sure the above method I suggested is legal before you try it... nobody cared 40 years ago, maybe they do now.

Good technique, and thanks for passing it on. One correction, frogs are amphibians. Just sayin'.

Easyrider49
04-13-2011, 11:24 PM
No frogs cannot be shot, You will need a fishing license and there is a season on them. They are not open right now.

Skinner

Would that be on your own property also ?

protectionisamust
04-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Pellet Gun :score:

Skinner 2
04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Would that be on your own property also ?

Yes you don't own the frogs just the land. Same as any other animal, BUT then again I never heard of a high fence operation for frogs.:scratch:

Skinner

Skinner 2
04-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Pellet Gun :score:

This will get you a ticket in a hurry!:deal2:

Skinner

Skinner 2
04-14-2011, 11:02 AM
When I used to hunt/catch frogs I would just use a stick/bamboo rod about 8 foot long. On the tip was a piech of mono about 6-8 inches long. Take the smalles treble hook I could finf #12 or #14. and tie it on. I with then take about a 1/4 x 1/4 inche piece of red baloon and attach it to the hook. Dangle baited hook a couple inches in front of frog and hang on fit the hit. Once the hooks was in their mouth just lift em up.

The reason for the balloon was more for the fisherman to watch the hook. The frog will grab a bare hook. You can have slow reflexes doing this and frog cannot spit out the hook no where near as fast as a fish.

All you do is mimic a fly buzzing around in front of them. I have had many that will jump and pounce from a foot or so away. OH I always did this during the daylight hours. Works just as well walking/wading or from a boat.

There is also a limit on the number of frogs one can take as was as species. This is all posted in the michigan fishing guide book.

Skinner

Made_in_Michigan
04-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Oh, lets not forget the $15 license required now to gig frogs, and you can't do it till May 28th this year...

Ferd
04-14-2011, 06:10 PM
An all-species fishing license is required to harvest any reptiles or amphibians.

http://michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364_52261_52262-211233--,00.html

Regulations for Frogs, Toads, Salamanders, Turtles, Lizards and Snakes

Amphibians and reptiles MAY NOT be shot with firearms (including spring, air, or gas propelled) or bow and arrow. The following shall not be taken or possessed except as authorized by the Director of the Department of Natural Resources: Blandings, spotted, wood, and eastern box turtle; black rat snake, eastern fox snake, copperbelly watersnake, kirtlands snake and massasauga rattlesnake; boreal chorus frog, Blanchards cricket frog; smallmouth salamander, marbled salamander; all reptile eggs; and amphibians and reptiles protected under Part 365 (Endangered Species) of 1994 P.A. 451. For further information, ask for list FO-224. Personal Use: An all-species fishing license is required to take amphibians and reptiles for personal use. Reptiles and amphibians may not be bought, sold, or offered for sale. Hand, trap, nets, seines (up to 12 x 4 feet overall dimensions), and hook and line may be used. Set lines may not be used to take turtles. Frogs may be speared but NOT with the aid of an artificial light. Traps used (or possessed) in areas frequented by reptiles must have a plate or tag attached bearing the name and address of the user in legible English. For taking turtles, no more than three (3) traps may be used, mesh traps must be no less than one (1) inch mesh, and traps must be set to allow turtles to surface and breathe. It is illegal to possess or transport in the field, dressed or processed reptiles or amphibians that cannot be measured or identified.

Table 3, (species, seasons, minimum size, daily possession limit and total possession limit)

LivoniaDan
04-15-2011, 09:19 AM
My all time favorite - From National Lampoon

http://www.migunowners.org/photoplog/images/1072/1_froglegs.jpg

who dat
04-15-2011, 09:29 AM
My all time favorite - From National Lampoon

http://www.migunowners.org/photoplog/images/1072/1_froglegs.jpgOne of the best cartoons ever.

langenc
05-09-2011, 03:12 PM
As noted--Im quite sure no pellet/bb guns. License required, season and bag limit. Check the rule book.

Looks like Ferd-post #15 has it covered.