PDA

View Full Version : Bow fishing in MI, is it legal?

swaker3333
04-14-2011, 03:32 PM
so on another thread I was just made aware that I was mislead by the DNR on some of there rules. I moved back to MI a couple years ago and am just getting back in to the full swing of hunting and fishing. I have to ask, is bow fishing legal here? I was gone from MI for over a decade and laws change. This would make my day if it's legit here.

Buzzcat
04-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Yes it is, though I can't tell you offhand the specifics regarding species and "open" dates.

bluegill
04-14-2011, 04:11 PM
This is a long shot but you could try the fishing guide (page 12):

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/FishingGuide_11-low-res_347106_7.pdf

Ruger
04-14-2011, 04:12 PM
This should help ya out.....

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/bow-spearing-table6_272192_7.pdf

who dat
04-14-2011, 04:21 PM
It's legal and it must be open. They were all over the bayous around my house last weekend.

Last year, maybe longer, there was a boat with a jet engine bowfishing for carp in the middle of the morning...2 am to about 5 am...he got stuck on a sand bar in the river and tried to get off with the engine.

Nothing like the sound of a jet plane every 15 minutes in the middle of the night. :coocoo:

swaker3333
04-14-2011, 04:39 PM
This is a long shot but you could try the fishing guide (page 12):

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/FishingGuide_11-low-res_347106_7.pdf

Thanks. Didn't have a fishing guide at work.

tech2b9
04-14-2011, 05:01 PM
I dont know any of the legal stuff but I did get stopped by a Grand Rapids lady police officer. She was quite concerned that we were doing something illegal. Gave her the fishing license and she went to her cruiser for about 20 minutes and came back looking disgusted that this was actually legal. So just make sure you have your license and are on the the correct property and that you are in season and your good to go!

bluegill
04-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks. Didn't have a fishing guide at work.

YW. Might want to try an internet search for bowfishing in Michigan. There are some that are really into it with boats decked out with lights, etc for night fishing and probably have a web site they hang out at. I know that the Michigan Out-of-Doors show did a piece on it a few years ago.

who dat
04-15-2011, 08:27 AM
YW. Might want to try an internet search for bowfishing in Michigan. There are some that are really into it with boats decked out with lights, etc for night fishing and probably have a web site they hang out at. I know that the Michigan Out-of-Doors show did a piece on it a few years ago.Air boats, jet engines, halogen lights, upper decks, rear platforms...you thought bass boats were decked out, check out these guys.

aquatic-archer
04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Legal and very addictive.
Check out B.A.M.'s website the are the bowfishing association of michigan.
Fish open to shooting are roughfish(carp,suckers,gar,dogfish,ect.)
Seasons very by location. Great lakes are open year around.

sullyxlh
04-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks. Didn't have a fishing guide at work.Read it GOOD.
Stay away from ALL designated trout streams with a bow and/or spear.
It's illegal and big NO NO!

aquatic-archer
04-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Read it GOOD.
Stay away from ALL designated trout streams with a bow and/or spear.
It's illegal and big NO NO!
Not true there are some that are open, they are listed on FO #219.
Go to the DNR site and type it in the search bar hole list of FO's that are changes or exceptions to the general rules.

Ol` Joe
04-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Buddy of mine did this one for years.
http://glbc-caseville.com/rules.htm260rem

aquatic-archer
04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
GLBC is a great tournament, you can wade, shoot ditches or run a boat.
All the money raised goes to kids charity to help teach them about the outdoors. Been going since 92 and its always a good time.

wardog6t
04-19-2011, 07:10 PM
+1 Caseville is an awesome event. Been there several times...

Pyzik
04-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Bowfishing is great fun! And as you've read, yes it is legal in most areas. I don't know where you are but tons of good places in SE MI.