PDA

View Full Version : handguns

NorthWhiteWolf
04-18-2011, 09:49 PM
New to handgun ownership (or will be soon).
I have PP and did the sign four copies thing. is there anything unusually or really different between what I do after I turn the "2 bottom slips" back into the sheriff?

I used to teach and sell long guns but now am getting into handguns.

Stacer
04-19-2011, 03:14 AM
Just drop the paperwork off, or even have someone do it for you, and you're done had been my experience

RevDerb
04-19-2011, 04:58 AM
Or mail it.

mjerickson
04-19-2011, 07:36 AM
You must keep your copy of the yellow card with the weapon for 30 days. I mailed the admin copies of my yellow cards the last time. In retrospect I think next time I will either drop off or do delivery confermation just to be safe.

nitrous_bob
04-19-2011, 07:19 PM
i always dropped off. you can get fined if the PP is not returned on time. they can hit you for $200 even if you never bought a gun and let it expire

but yes... thats it.

your copy to keep and turn in the 2 others, after that just buy about 300 rounds of fmj and get aquainted with it !! as well as a good box of self defense ammo, run a few of those through too to make sure it likes the ammo you'll be shooting when it REALLY matters

RPMO6
04-19-2011, 07:31 PM
they can hit you for $200 even if you never bought a gun and let it expire
Can you please provide the law/statute that states this bob?

Huxley
04-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Can you please provide the law/statute that states this bob?
Who Dat in another post answered with this:

Yes. Sort of. Under 28.422. The locals cannot fine you, it is a state matter. Just tell them to send it in.

(5) If an individual purchases or otherwise acquires a pistol, the seller shall fill out the license forms describing the pistol,
together with the date of sale or acquisition, and sign his or her name in ink indicating that the pistol was sold to or otherwise
acquired by the purchaser. The purchaser shall also sign his or her name in ink indicating the purchase or other acquisition of
the pistol from the seller. The seller may retain a copy of the license as a record of the transaction. The purchaser shall receive
3 copies of the license. The purchaser shall return 2 copies of the license to the licensing authority within 10 days after the date
the pistol is purchased or acquired. The return of the copies to the licensing authority may be made in person or may be made
by first-class mail or certified mail sent within the 10-day period to the proper address of the licensing authority. A purchaser
who fails to comply with the requirements of this subsection is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not
more than $250.00. If a purchaser is found responsible for a state civil infraction under this subsection, the court shall notify

RPMO6
04-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Who Dat in another post answered with this:
If an individual purchases or otherwise acquires a pistol
This has nothing to do with someone who doesn't use the permit (changes mind and doesn't buy) or lets it expire due to unknown circumstances Huxley...does it?

jasonalun
04-19-2011, 08:55 PM
I would like to know the answer to this as well. I got an "extra" permit as one I had gotten earlier was about to expire. I ended up being able to use the first one, so I had no need of the "extra" one and just tossed it. It is still sitting in my trash can, so I can retrieve it, but it is several days past the return date. I didn't think you had to return it if you didn't use it...

skidooboy
04-19-2011, 11:28 PM
I would like to know the answer to this as well. I got an "extra" permit as one I had gotten earlier was about to expire. I ended up being able to use the first one, so I had no need of the "extra" one and just tossed it. It is still sitting in my trash can, so I can retrieve it, but it is several days past the return date. I didn't think you had to return it if you didn't use it...

i had a PP getting ready to expire, called the sheriff's office (clinton county)asking about it. they said to shred it, or bring it back in and drop it off, if i was in the area.

the 250.00 fine only applies if you purchase a pistol with the permit, and then fail to file the purchasing paperwork within the 10 day time limit. THEN, you are in violation of the illegal purchase rule/law. if you dont purchase a pistol on the permit, you cant be in violation of that law. ski

NorthWhiteWolf
04-20-2011, 05:58 AM
isn't there some kinda 3- day waiting period for buying a gun from a gun store also?

who dat
04-20-2011, 08:10 AM
isn't there some kinda 3- day waiting period for buying a gun from a gun store also?No.

Again, from MCL 28.422:

(2) A person who brings a pistol into this state who is on leave from active duty with the armed forces of the United States or
who has been discharged from active duty with the armed forces of the United States shall obtain a license for the pistol within
30 days after his or her arrival in this state.
(3) The commissioner or chief of police of a city, township, or village police department that issues licenses to purchase,
carry, possess, or transport pistols, or his or her duly authorized deputy, or the sheriff or his or her duly authorized deputy, in
the parts of a county not included within a city, township, or village having an organized police department, in discharging
the duty to issue licenses shall with due speed and diligence issue licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols to
qualified applicants residing within the city, village, township, or county, as applicable unless he or she has probable cause to
believe that the applicant would be a threat to himself or herself or to other individuals, or would commit an offense with the
pistol that would violate a law of this or another state or of the United States. An applicant is qualified if all of the following
circumstances exist:

NorthWhiteWolf
04-20-2011, 08:29 AM
No.

Again, from MCL 28.422:

(2) A person who brings a pistol into this state who is on leave from active duty with the armed forces of the United States or
who has been discharged from active duty with the armed forces of the United States shall obtain a license for the pistol within
30 days after his or her arrival in this state.
(3) The commissioner or chief of police of a city, township, or village police department that issues licenses to purchase,
carry, possess, or transport pistols, or his or her duly authorized deputy, or the sheriff or his or her duly authorized deputy, in
the parts of a county not included within a city, township, or village having an organized police department, in discharging
the duty to issue licenses shall with due speed and diligence issue licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols to
qualified applicants residing within the city, village, township, or county, as applicable unless he or she has probable cause to
believe that the applicant would be a threat to himself or herself or to other individuals, or would commit an offense with the
pistol that would violate a law of this or another state or of the United States. An applicant is qualified if all of the following
circumstances exist:

from what I could get from reading that the article you quoted is for getting the permit. not involving buying the gun after you get the permit.

who dat
04-20-2011, 08:31 AM
from what I could get from reading that the article you quoted is for getting the permit. not involving buying the gun after you get the permit.True...there is no waiting period and any store that tells you there is is lying. With the permit or a CPL you can walk in, buy the gun, and walk out with it.

NorthWhiteWolf
04-20-2011, 08:37 AM
ok cool (I am will to wait) but was just wondering so I can plan when to get it (and have time to try it out before going to work or school).

who dat
04-20-2011, 08:43 AM
ok cool (I am will to wait) but was just wondering so I can plan when to get it (and have time to try it out before going to work or school).Go for it...and be sure to come back here with a range report!

jeepinrrt
04-20-2011, 08:43 AM
ok cool (I am will to wait) but was just wondering so I can plan when to get it (and have time to try it out before going to work or school).

As whodat said, no waiting period. You can even buy more than one at a time :score:

NorthWhiteWolf
04-20-2011, 09:05 AM
I a, looking at a GlockŪ G17 Handgun (if I have to go new) I was looking at a ruger p85 (or something like that) but can no longer find it on the Gander Mnt. website :( But will be still searching for "the right one" lol

who dat
04-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I a, looking at a GlockŪ G17 Handgun (if I have to go new) I was looking at a ruger p85 (or something like that) but can no longer find it on the Gander Mnt. website :( But will be still searching for "the right one" lolIsn't there a good local gun store on the east side of town? Have you tried them?

NorthWhiteWolf
04-20-2011, 09:14 AM
opps repsot some how

NorthWhiteWolf
04-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Isn't there a good local gun store on the east side of town? Have you tried them?
"Cliffs" yahh but he said he does not get many used and the gun he suggested (and it was a good gun and sugestion) was $600 :(

Goin to check out a new one inAcme today (hopefully)

who dat
04-20-2011, 09:27 AM
"Cliffs" yahh but he said he does not get many used and the gun he suggested (and it was a good gun and sugestion) was $600 :(

Goin to check out a new one inAcme today (hopefully)Good luck. It's nice to have a good gun guy to deal with.

You might check your local paper...ours has guns for sale every day and it's only a 12 page rag.

NorthWhiteWolf
04-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Found me a cheap 9MM and bought it locally (from a gun shop from my home town that I never knew existed)

NorthWhiteWolf
04-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Found gun will be turning in paperwork tommarow. so thanks all for the info :)