PDA

View Full Version : HI POINT C9

NorthWhiteWolf
04-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Hi Point C9 http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/9%20mm/hi_point_9mm.html

ITEM REVIEWED: Hi Point C9 9mm
PURCHASED FROM: "Great Guns" / COST: $135 + Tax
PRO'S:Fun to shoot, no major issues, VERY cheap price, black composite frame. , not really flashy.
CON'S: sights where off (not man. fault) , cheap looking clip, cheap gun (not many if any bells and whistles)

This was the first hand gun I have bought. :computer: I have shot a 1900 Iver Johnson but that is all before this gun. :lol:

Verdict: :wolf: :thumbup: :fa: :thup:
Cheap price and you get what you buy. For price I am happy but will chose higher priced gun for doing Personal Protection or armed guard duty. Fun when I shot it. did not notice any real issues with it other then hard to load clip to full capacity.:pistols: Safety was different then other guns, but effective and at times too effective (but that is OK with me).

ranttrmike
04-21-2011, 04:51 AM
Why does it include a "free extra rear peep site"?

Taurus should have done that on the PT709 Slim and included the "low" front site with the gun.

bone
04-21-2011, 06:15 AM
they come with regular sites and a set of ghost ring sites

a10dcc
04-21-2011, 07:57 AM
It's a magazine NOT a clip!!!

Glad you like it; shoot safe and get the basics down.

NorthWhiteWolf
04-21-2011, 01:58 PM

sorry my mistake. :cop:

Tyler
04-21-2011, 05:54 PM
glad you enjoy it!

dentkimterry
04-21-2011, 06:33 PM
I looked at one of those at MC Sports. Quite a handful!

MY629SW
04-21-2011, 06:42 PM
(Glad you like it) What does that hold 6 or 7 rounds? and weight 2 to 2 1/2lb and that call Glocks blocks lmao :-P

NorthWhiteWolf
04-21-2011, 09:05 PM
(Glad you like it) What does that hold 6 or 7 rounds? and weight 2 to 2 1/2lb and that call Glocks blocks lmao :-P

Not sure of actual wieght but feels very light. holds 8 shot magazine.:pump:

NorthWhiteWolf
05-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Well now I've put from 400-500 rounds through it and now the magazine is causing problems with causeing the gun to jam. (or maybe it's the realy cheap steel case ammo) but anyways the sights are off and it is not accurate. still a good "getting used to a handgun" gun but I am going to get a diffrent "daily" gun once my CPL goes through.

autosurgeon
05-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Well now I've put from 400-500 rounds through it and now the magazine is causing problems with causeing the gun to jam. (or maybe it's the realy cheap steel case ammo) but anyways the sights are off and it is not accurate. still a good "getting used to a handgun" gun but I am going to get a diffrent "daily" gun once my CPL goes through.

Must be a pre 1996 if the rear sight is not adjustable. If you want to you can send it back to the factory and they will go through it for free and apply any updates. I would recommend also that you look at the dedicated Hi-Point Forums as they can help you with the feeding issues as there are some simple fixes that can be applied.

chosos
05-03-2011, 02:10 PM
yeah the no questions asked warranty service is second to none. for cheap little guns, they arent too bad. its a perfect gun for my fiance or for a guest to shoot when i go to the range. its also heavy, so in the hands of an unskilled shooter, i also tend to notice they shoot better with it than say... my glock 23, or my 1911.

autosurgeon
05-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Another thing if you want some 10 rd mags for it cheap I have a couple left from when I had mine.

esq_stu
05-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Just curious - reliable enough to be a car gun (shoots ok but cheap enough that if it gets stolen it is not a major loss)?

NorthWhiteWolf
05-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Just curious - reliable enough to be a car gun (shoots ok but cheap enough that if it gets stolen it is not a major loss)?

I could agree with that.

chosos
05-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Just make sure you break it in first. Out of like 3k rounds so far on her C9, we have yet to see a single FTF, and I haven't even broke the gun down to clean it - I just run a brush through the barrel and in the chamber to get what I can.

This is partially to see how it holds up to use, and partially because the company said to just send it in if it ever has an issue and to not worry about it.

We shoot mostly federal ammo fro walmart through ours.

magoo1500
05-06-2011, 08:32 PM
i have a 40cal hi point......shoots great and accurate....

i think its a fun shooting gun for very little money.....

jeffegg2
05-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Youtube of some guys trying their best to fail the Hi-point C9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

NorthWhiteWolf
05-07-2011, 09:38 AM
there are some good videos on c9's (and what it took to damage the gun is comforting)

frdsvtcobra
05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
ive put about 3000 round down mine with no issuse.i get 5 -6 inch shoot groups at 25 yards with it. The only thing is that it doesnt like to feed steel case ammo. other than that i love it.

jef_luch
09-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Ive had a few problems with mine. Had to send it back once, need to send it back again. Its fun to shoot when it doesnt jam. Customer service was great when I sent it back the first time...

Tacks
09-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Probably should have, but did not read all the other responses, but I will give you the following as far as a guide to the hi point 9mm. This gun is great FOR THE PRICE. It is the perfect tackle box and/or glovebox gun, but I will not carry this as a primary weapon; it is good to have as a spare gun/ woods gun. I had MAJOR feed issues with this gun, but it was because I neglected to take proper care of it. I have one mag from the factory and a second, aftermarket mag that had similar problems.. The gun will feed properly as long as you take good care of it, and clean it. On the flip side, it is a PAIN IN THE ASS to take this gun apart, but when every other round is a FTF, you need to address the problem. I ran about 5 or 600 rounds through it before I decided it was finally time to clean it out (I know, I know, you should clean after every time you feed rounds through it), and I had heard that the problem I was encountering was because the feed ramp was getting caked with blowoff and dirt from the powder, but it wasn't until I addressed this by cleaning the whole thing out with mineral spirits that it started to feed properly. The gun's feed ramp was painted black... ( I don't ask questions now, I mean for god's sake the barrel is somehow mounted to the frame, and I paid 150 for the gun), but after cleaning, the feed ramp is now clean and the weapon is feeding properly (issue I had was rounds nosing down and refusing to feed into the barrel, reason being that the feed ramp was completely coated with ammo blowoff and powder). As an idea for how much of a difference it makes, I had one FTF in 100 rounds after cleaning vs approximately 70 FTF for the uncleaned version after 500 or so rounds. My main point is that if you have bought one of these guns, make sure you know how to disassemble and clean the feed ramp (just youtube Hipoint field strip), so that you have a functional and reliable weapon. Keep that feed ramp free of gunk and the mags in good shape and feeding properly and you should have a good and fun gun to mess around with in the woods. Not as accurate as my glock by any means, but it never hurts to have a gun in your tackle box or a glove box for backup gun if in a bad spot. Don't trust your life to it, but maybe keep one around just in case you have nothing else to shoot. Cheap or bad gun i worth more than no gun at all.

..DETROIT..
09-22-2011, 06:53 AM
My first gun purchase was a C-9 (second one a hi-point .380). Back when it only cost $89 for a brand new one. Something like 10 or more years i've owned and shot the snot out of it and still occasionally shoot it. For a novice shooter then, this thing was very accurate, more than I was at least. Has alot to do with the fixed barrel design. The only problem is the older model like mine doesn't have the last round lock-back feature. Gun is still my under-the-mattress gun (too bulky for an under-the-pillow gun).

esq_stu
09-22-2011, 09:51 AM
What self defense ammo have you tried? Would you limit it to non +P? As a blowback design, I wonder if +P would wreck it? A lot of +P eventually broke my Kel-Tec P11 (locked breech design) around 10 years ago.*In that case I suspect cheap materials.

I was thinking if I prepared it properly and sealed it in a seal-meal with desiccant, I could bury one with some ammo for a "rainy day". At that price, i would't miss the $.

drewyork
09-22-2011, 10:12 AM
I have the Hi Point 380 and it is exactly what you paid for. First magazine fired through it (4th round FTE) next magazine 5th round FTE. has a lot of sharp edges. very top heavy. i cut the hell out of my finger trying to figure out that after the last round, when the slide is open, you need to eject the mag to reset the slide. my first pistol i bought. not a bad open carry gun. you will never forget that is it on your hip.

Very effective throwing weapon.

BlooMule
09-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Picked up a C9 from another forum member here, took it to the range and put a couple hundred rounds of various ammo through it- Remington FMJ and JHP, some Winchester white box, loaded randomly (JHP some FMJ a couple white box all in the mag). NO ISSUES. Sights are off a little,seems to shoot slight;y right of aim.

Mag is a bit of a ***** to load, and if you don't make certain you have the topmost shell 'seated' all the way back in the mag it's a guaranteed fail to load.

The grip fits my hand fine, but the somewhat smooth surface makes me want to hold the gun with a death grip, took a few mags to get past the impression that the gun was going to fly out of my hand- purely subjective, as the recoil isn't bad with Rem FMJ, although the JHP kicked more and the muzzle flash would actually obscure the target. (Huge fireball!)

It's big for a 9mm. Real big. Big enough that if you have to use it for self defense it could be mistaken for a .45 from another polymer gun manufacturer. (if the area isn't too well lit)

Overall, it's a decent gun. Add in the warranty and it's good value as well.

..DETROIT..
09-23-2011, 09:08 AM
What self defense ammo have you tried? Would you limit it to non +P? As a blowback design, I wonder if +P would wreck it? A lot of +P eventually broke my Kel-Tec P11 (locked breech design) around 10 years ago.*In that case I suspect cheap materials.

I was thinking if I prepared it properly and sealed it in a seal-meal with desiccant, I could bury one with some ammo for a "rainy day". At that price, i would't miss the $.
True. As for the ammo, I haven't bought any more since the last time. Bought them from one of the GnF shows in Gibraltors trade center. I believe they were once fired, reloaded for HP. Good deal. Red box. Can't quite recall the company name. Took a few mags to the range to check. Fed good. No problems.

Tacks
09-24-2011, 11:40 PM

I've only put FMJ through it, so I can't speak as to how hollowpoints or frangible ammo feed, but from what I have read on several different threads, non FMJ ammo feeds less reliably than FMJ, probably because lead is softer than the copper jacket on FMJ rounds, and is more susceptible to deforming while being fed and jamming the round. With the issues I have had with mine, I would only even consider loading with FMJ, and personally would not carry this gun. That being said, I would suggest you test self-defense ammo first before carrying and trusting your safety to it. in response to your question about +P ammo, if there is a lifetime warranty on the gun, I say shoot it all day long and let them fix the gun if it causes a problem; but if it's your primary carry gun, keep in mind that sending it back to Hi Point and having it worked on may take time. I hope everyone else is enjoying this gun as much as I do. I know my first post may have been overly critical, but for 165 bucks, I don't know that you will get much more bang for your buck. Good luck with the research into hollowpoint reliability with this gun, let us know the results if you have the time and money to really look into this one.

stare-decisis
09-25-2011, 07:36 AM
I had the JHP 45 version a few years ago and it was reliable enough. Shot fine but was just an absolute brick. I got a lot of laughs from friends who said it was a cross between a movie prop and a cordless drill :grin:

darkwing
12-03-2011, 06:58 PM
You pull the trigger and it goes bang ever time and hits the paper, good enough.

cjamey
05-16-2012, 08:34 PM

Does it really matter if you say clip or magazine? I say "no" it doesn't. Unless of course your a drill sargent and it's your job to rag on people. People call them clips because thats what they where before magazines where created, all your bullets slipped onto a clip then placed into the gun. I say no bullying lets just all have fun shooting.

Roundballer
05-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Does it really matter if you say clip or magazine? I say "no" it doesn't. Unless of course your a drill sargent and it's your job to rag on people. People call them clips because thats what they where before magazines where created, all your bullets slipped onto a clip then placed into the gun. I say no bullying lets just all have fun shooting.
Proper terminology is important, it is sometimes hard to understand what people are talking about if there is no visual reference.
Clips feed Magazines.
Bullets are the projectile portion of the cartridge.
Your is a possessive pronoun, You're is a contraction of you are.

Bumping old post for no reason is an AUP violation.

Other than that, welcome aboard.

Drop in on this forum: http://www.migunowners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=154 and introduce yourself.

trappert83
06-13-2012, 12:27 PM
I have a high point 40 cal, Heavy, simple , but function is great, also have the 9mm carbine. Great gun except bought an extended mag that mis loads all the time. Happy with there products

explodedview
06-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Check it out!
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t402/deadheroe76/hipoint1911zg4.jpg

bone
06-15-2012, 09:16 AM
its the new M6 scout version! .410 9mm over under. :mg:

Check it out!
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t402/deadheroe76/hipoint1911zg4.jpg