PDA

View Full Version : Wild Hogs? i have some questions someone educate me

bandit_ad22
04-21-2011, 09:41 PM
I hear more and more about these feral hogs and them being in michigan. i read an article recently saying that they have been killed in over 2/3's of the LP counties.

can anyone tell me more and can you use dogs for them?

I have two dogs that are about 2 and could easily be trained for for this and i think it would be a good hobby for them.

pkuptruck
04-22-2011, 02:23 AM
I hear more and more about these feral hogs and them being in michigan. i read an article recently saying that they have been killed in over 2/3's of the LP counties.

can anyone tell me more and can you use dogs for them?

I have two dogs that are about 2 and could easily be trained for for this and i think it would be a good hobby for them.

given the amounbt of "actual" sighting and killing of the elusive "wild" Michigan hogs.... you would be better off training them for YETI tracking ...
you would probably have better success...:biggrin:

bluegill
04-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Here is the feral swine page on the dnre website. There are maps of sightings and kills.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_55230---,00.html

bandit_ad22
04-23-2011, 07:36 PM
those numbers were a lot lower than i had expected from the way the article made it sound. but not surprised thats what the press does

ranttrmike
04-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Feral hogs are a real situation, they are just very intelligent. They move at night in river beds and swamps. Very rare to see them standing by the side of the road like Deer, Possum or Coon.

There are a lot of them around my area, but people don't report them.

Don't take in all the hype though, they are rare encounters, but they are out there and their numbers are growing exponentially. They breed at 6 months, and have 3-6 little ones. This means that 1 female in effect can produce up to 18 a year of her own, and each of her first 6 can produce up to 6 each (36) which is 54 pigs a year from "1" female (net effect).

It won't be too many years before the issue is as big as other states down south have.

pkuptruck
04-24-2011, 04:09 AM
those numbers were a lot lower than i had expected from the way the article made it sound. but not surprised thats what the press does

+1

got to love the DNR...... :whacko:

from the press releases..... you would imagine that Michigan is awash in these 800lb, 4 foor tusked killers!!!!

its all a scam.... a way to additionally regulate and control more swine farming, and hunt farms.....

The best, all time irony... is the "farmers" that have all this trouble with ... "wild hogs"..... yet wont allow ANYONE to harvest them.....
( at which point... it must not be a problem....eh? )

follow the money..... :naughty:

ranttrmike
04-29-2011, 05:25 AM
+1

The best, all time irony... is the "farmers" that have all this trouble with ... "wild hogs"..... yet wont allow ANYONE to harvest them.....
( at which point... it must not be a problem....eh? )

follow the money..... :naughty:
You being from Redford (and I being VERY familiar with Redford), I can tell that you don't deal with many farmers.

I have lived in farm land for 16 years now, and I can tell you that a few very BAD apples have destroyed the farmers trust in allowing people on their land.

They don't report them because they don't want to have a bunch of trespassers running around their property.

Once you gain their trust and spend a summer helping them bail hay, you can access their land.

Yes, the pig numbers are small, but they triple their population in just under a year. Very soon we will have the same issues that TX, FL, HI and GA have with them.

pkuptruck
04-29-2011, 05:33 AM
You being from Redford (and I being VERY familiar with Redford), I can tell that you don't deal with many farmers.

I have lived in farm land for 16 years now, and I can tell you that a few very BAD apples have destroyed the farmers trust in allowing people on their land.

They don't report them because they don't want to have a bunch of trespassers running around their property.

Once you gain their trust and spend a summer helping them bail hay, you can access their land.

Yes, the pig numbers are small, but they triple their population in just under a year. Very soon we will have the same issues that TX, FL, HI and GA have with them.

i "bail hay" and more for a number of different folks... from the thumb, to
upper northern Mi.... and I have to tell you.... by having something pretty
(so far) invisible to blame stuff on, many ( not all) farmers are making this a
cash cow....

Sure, a few PIG hunters ( not the animals...but the "hunters" themselves..) have
made it hard to gain access.. but that is a mostly a myth... its about farmers insurance payouts...

TX FLA and Georgia are VASTLY different states... more HUGE privately owned tracts of land, or huge, "unhuman" swamps, etc...

apples and oranges....

its all about the money

bandit_ad22
04-29-2011, 08:42 AM

A few do ruin it for many, and i have seen it happen but me being from an area with many farmers the access to property isn't what im worried about. during deer season i had permission to hunt many different areas.

it would be nice to know what the real population is like

919cw313
04-29-2011, 07:34 PM
What kind of dogs do you have?

Down here they use pits and bulldogs, ridgebacks, catahoulas, coon hounds, etc.

bandit_ad22
04-29-2011, 09:11 PM
a 2.5 yo 80 lb blue pit and an american bulldog thats 8 months and over 60 lbs

sirdonas
04-30-2011, 10:08 PM
The way the rules read, you are allowed to take feral swine year round, so long as you have a valid current hunting license, and are using the equipment appropriate to that license(for example, if you're out hunting rabbit, shooting a pig with your Wetherby .300 mag is right out). So unless you're out hunting game that you can legally use dogs to hunt, and you're doing it in-season, than i would think that the answer would be "no".

Private land rules may vary.

Ask the DNR office folks. they tend to be really friendly and helpful.

Leader
05-01-2011, 06:36 AM
The way the rules read, you are allowed to take feral swine year round, so long as you have a valid current hunting license, and are using the equipment appropriate to that license(for example, if you're out hunting rabbit, shooting a pig with your Wetherby .300 mag is right out). So unless you're out hunting game that you can legally use dogs to hunt, and you're doing it in-season, than i would think that the answer would be "no".

I know of no caliber restrictions for rabbit hunting so why couldn't you use a .300win mag?
While it probably wouldn't be very productive, you could use dogs to hunt crows if you wanted so why not woodchucks, English Sparrows, and or pigs?

Passthru
05-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Just be aware that your dogs could get hurt or killed. If you can live with that then go for it. Sounds like fun though. Good luck.

Jay

Easyrider49
05-09-2011, 09:44 PM
cash cow....

Sure, a few PIG hunters ( not the animals...but the "hunters" themselves..) have
made it hard to gain access.. but that is a mostly a myth... its about farmers insurance payouts...

TX FLA and Georgia are VASTLY different states... more HUGE privately owned tracts of land, or huge, "unhuman" swamps, etc...

apples and oranges

its all about the money

Well they must not EXIST then !!:-o ....

pkuptruck
05-10-2011, 03:55 AM
Well they must not EXIST then !!:-o ....

never said that.. :coolgleam:

I infered that it is not the issue the DNR make it out to be, and that these are more escaped domestic pigs, rather than "HUGE RUSSIAN KILLER BOARS!!:shocked:

The areas and locations of sightings tend to back up my assurtions as well.

And, given the fact that ( this is me being sacastic...) 6 people outside the DNR have actually SEEN one of these critters running "wild", also tends to make one skeptical. :di:

007bondjamesbond007
05-10-2011, 04:08 AM

All you need is a CPL to kill feral hogs.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_10402-237812--,00.html

New Law Allows Hunters, Landowners to Take Feral Hogs Anytime
Agency: Natural Resources

June 1, 2010
Licensed hunters and landowners may now take feral hogs at any time, since a package of bills has been signed by Gov. Jennifer M. Granholm, the Department of Natural Resources and Environment announced today.

Hunters or individuals with concealed-carry permits may take swine running loose on public land or on private land with landowner permission. Landowners may take hogs on their property at any time.

The law also authorizes animal control officers and law enforcement officers to shoot hogs running loose on private or public property.

"Feral swine are known vectors for diseases that are transmissible to humans, livestock and wildlife," said DNRE Director Rebecca Humphries. "This change in the law gives us another weapon for dealing with this unhealthy situation."

The Michigan Department of Agriculture (MDA) is in full agreement with the new law.

"Three years of hard work by many partners has paid off," said Dr. Nancy Frank, MDA deputy director. "The joint resolutions by both the Natural Resources and Agriculture Commissions sent us in this direction. This legislation is key to preventing an environmental and animal health disaster."

The new laws take immediate effect.

The Department of Natural Resources and Environment is committed to the conservation, protection, management, accessible use and enjoyment of the state's environment, natural resources and related economic interests for current and future generations. Learn more at www.michigan.gov/dnre.

RevDerb
05-10-2011, 04:20 AM
given the amounbt of "actual" sighting and killing of the elusive "wild" Michigan hogs.... you would be better off training them for YETI tracking ...
you would probably have better success...:biggrin:

:rofl: :rofl:

Easyrider49
05-10-2011, 09:12 AM
cash cow....

apples and oranges....

its all about the money

Well to me "invisible" means not real or not there , not existing .

aquatic-archer
05-10-2011, 09:12 AM
I infered that it is not the issue the DNR make it out to be, and that these are more escaped domestic pigs, rather than "HUGE RUSSIAN KILLER BOARS!!:shocked:

And, given the fact that ( this is me being sacastic...) 6 people outside the DNR have actually SEEN one of these critters running "wild", also tends to make one skeptical. :di:[/QUOTE]

I'd say you hit the nail on the head.:score:

Easyrider49
05-10-2011, 09:18 AM

And, given the fact that ( this is me being sacastic...) 6 people outside the DNR have actually SEEN one of these critters running "wild", also tends to make one skeptical. :di:

Looks like more than six sightings to me ?
# Sightings "Reported": 43
# Kills "Reported": 27
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2009FSMap_324708_7.pdf

pkuptruck
05-10-2011, 09:32 AM
infered that it is not the issue the DNR make it out to be, and that these are more escaped domestic pigs, rather than "HUGE RUSSIAN KILLER BOARS!!

And, given the fact that ( this is me being sacastic...) 6 people outside the DNR have actually SEEN one of these critters running "wild", also tends to make one skeptical.

Looks like more than six sightings to me ?
# Sightings "Reported": 43
# Kills "Reported": 27
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2009FSMap_324708_7.pdf

And it looks like you never READ anything before you spout off... :wtf:

go ahead... try again.... its easy... pretty soon... you'll be HOOKED on phonix! :whistle:

Easyrider49
05-10-2011, 04:18 PM
And it looks like you never READ anything before you spout off... :wtf:

go ahead... try again.... its easy... pretty soon... you'll be HOOKED on phonix! :whistle:

I would enjoy you referring to the site where you have gotten the information that only 6 people outside of the DNR have sighted hogs , no where I have I even mentioned "Russian HOGS"

Even phonetically sarcastic is not spelled the way you spell it ?(this is me being sacastic) carry on !