PDA

View Full Version : Hollowed bullet easy to get & hard to survive

Knimrod
12-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Hollowed bullet easy to get & hard to survive
December 12, 2005
BY ALISON GENDAR and DAVE GOLDINER
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Hollow-point bullets like the one used in the slaying of Officer Daniel Enchautegui are much deadlier than ordinary bullets - and nearly as easy to get.

Cops favor using the hollow-point bullets because they are less likely to pass through a target and ricochet into a fellow cop or bystander.

But they want their public sale banned to keep them out of the hands of thugs like Enchautegui's alleged killers, Steven Armento and Lillo Brancato.

"Our mission is to stop violent felons," said Patrolmen's Benevolent Association President Patrick Lynch. "There is no reason for anyone else to have that ability."

Armento allegedly shot Enchautegui with his father's .357-caliber handgun, loaded with the hollow-point bullets.

Anyone with a gun permit can buy the hollow-points in a gun shop. They also are readily available on the black market.

"Anybody can go out and buy them," said Michael Palladino, head of the Detectives' Endowment Association.

The main difference between hollow-point and regular, "full-metal jacket" bullets is that the hollow-points flatten on impact and expand inside a target.

The NYPD switched to the new ammo in 1999.

"They are less likely to penetrate the intended target and hit a bystander," said Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne.

An on-duty cop's bulletproof vest would likely provide the same protection from a hollow-point as a regular bullet.

Link to story (http://www.nydailynews.com/12-12-2005/news/story/374014p-317961c.html)

Dale
12-13-2005, 10:23 AM
with a hand drill can make functional hollow point bullets, even pack them with toxic material if they wish.

joen
12-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Wait a minute! I have heard from the Brady's, Million Mommies, Stabenow and Levin that 'full metal jacket' bullets are the 'cop killers'. They have all been screaming to ban them. Now hollow points are the new bad guys?

I'd like to see a ban on scumbags, irregardless of what kind of ammo they use. Give them what the latest liberal poster child got last night.

GrimReaper
12-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Recieving multiple GSW's in the chest with any 357 magum round would probably prove to be fatal, regardless of the type. Of course if they knew that they would push to outlaw the terrible 357, among others.

I'm still amazed how that off duty officer reportedly shot one BG twice and the other four times.

enfield
12-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Golllleee! Where can I get me sum of them hollow bullets?

iceman4563
12-13-2005, 08:16 PM
HOGWASH. I don't think that I'm giving away any secrets by saying, it's a safe bet that most people viewing this have been taught to shoot center mass. This is for a reason. Because it's the largest overall portion of the body to shoot and generally shootings happen under great stress. Under great stress we tend to have a decrease in fine motor skills which reduce our accuracy.
If you have a reduction in accuracy the laws of probability kick in and a shooter is most likely to hit the largest portion of the body, the torso.
That being said, where do police officers wear body armor. On the torso. I don't think that most bad guys train at all for the head shot.
One last thing. I'm not a ballistics expert but last I checked, the holloow point is the most likely of the two bullets to be stopped by a bullet resistant vest. I think that the state included the ammunition portion in the CPL course for a reason. To encourage CPL holders to put hollow point ammunition in the guns they are going to carry.

Rob

Brian
12-13-2005, 10:20 PM
"Anyone with a gun permit can buy the hollow-points in a gun shop. They also are readily available on the black market."

If you can get them in a gun shop why would you want to find them on the black market??

These morons should stick to writing about stuff they know about. Then again, the papers would be mighty thin wouldn't they.

bassplayer
12-13-2005, 10:43 PM
"They are less likely to penetrate the intended target and hit a bystander," said Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne.

no kidding! That's why law-abiding citizens with a CPL use them - less likely to penetrate the intended target and hit a bystander.

Knimrod
12-13-2005, 10:56 PM
This is my favorite:

"Our mission is to stop violent felons," said Patrolmen's Benevolent Association President Patrick Lynch. "There is no reason for anyone else to have that ability."

Now that's some elitist tripe.... :rolleyes:

Beretta151
12-16-2005, 03:38 PM
After reading this it just goes to show you that Detective Daniel Enchautegui was a brave man and a good cop his loss to society is a tragic one and surley he will be missed ..But As we all know the type of ammo wasn't what killed him, and therefore should not be blamed ...and to all of you rember

Support Police Officers, they give more than tickets - they give their lives!

Detective Daniel Enchautegui was shot and killed when he interrupted a burglary in progress while off-duty.

Detective Enchautegui had just returned home after finishing a late shift when he heard breaking glass in the house next door to his. He called 911 to report a possible burglary in progress. He then grabbed his off-duty 9mm weapon, put his police shield around his neck so he would not be mistaken for a suspect by responding officers and went outside to investigate. As Detective Enchautegui waited for back-up united, the two suspects emerged from the rear of the location. Detective Enchautegui drew his weapon and identified himself as a police officer by yelling "Police, Don't Move" in both English and Spanish. One of the men turned on Detective Enchautegui with a .357 caliber handgun in hand and opened fire, striking Detective Enchautegui once in the chest, piercing his heart. Despite being mortally wounded, Detective Enchautegui was able to return fire, firing all eight rounds from his weapon, striking one suspect twice and the other suspect six times.

Officers responding to the scene apprehended both suspects as they were attempting to flee and recovered the weapon used to kill Detective Enchautegui.

Detective Enchautegui was taken to Jacobi Medical Center where he died from his wound. He was posthumously promoted from Police Officer to Detective on December 14, 2005 by the Police Commissioner.

Detective Enchautegui had served with the New York City Police Department for three years, and was assigned to the 40th Precinct in the Bronx.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=18069