PDA

View Full Version : What one woman wants for Christmas: a returned gun

Knimrod
12-14-2005, 01:49 AM
What one woman wants for Christmas: a returned gun
http://www.dfw.com/images/dfw/startelegram/news/1906694-746195.jpgDec. 11, 2005
By J.R. LABBE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Susan Gaylord Buxton wants her gun back.

She could have a long wait, given how slowly the wheels of justice can grind.

Buxton, known from hither to yon as the gun-toting granny, is confused about why Arlington police seized her handgun after she shot an intruder Nov. 9. It's not as if the circumstances under which Buxton used the Smith & Wesson .38-caliber featherweight are in question. The 66-year-old Buxton shot Christopher Lessner, 22, as he lunged at her from inside her hall closet. He'd broken into the house after fleeing from Arlington police at a traffic stop.

The story became fodder for late-night TV jokes, radio talk shows -- even a song parody. Buxton, who's got spunk to spare, doesn't mind the jesting but she's serious as a stroke about getting her gun back.

For his part, Lessner sits in the Tarrant County Jail, nursing a gunshot wound to the leg and unable to make a $15,750 bond for charges of criminal mischief, criminal trespass and evading arrest. There's an additional $5,000 bond for a theft he's charged with committing two days earlier in Euless.

Buxton, who has not been criminally charged, understands that the officers who responded to her 28-year-old granddaughter's 911 call needed to secure the premises. She willingly handed over her gun -- actually, she dropped it to the ground when directed to do so by an officer who was pointing his sidearm at her. Why police confiscated the gun is what has her baffled.

"What does it have to do with the case against Lessner?" Buxton asked. "It's not like he's charged with getting himself shot."

Christy Gilfour, media spokeswoman for the Arlington Police Department, said she is aware of Buxton's determination to retrieve her personal property, but the department isn't calling the shots.

"Until the case has gone through the entire adjudication process, the district attorney has asked us to hold onto it," Gilfour said Wednesday. "With any kind of criminal investigation that involves a weapon, even if our officers are involved in a shooting, we take the weapon and hold onto it."

Mark Thielman, an assistant district attorney in the county's criminal division, confirmed that the handgun is in the Arlington police property room at the direction of his office.

"It is undisputed that it was seized by police as part of a criminal investigation," Thielman said. "What particular relevance it has for the state in connection with prosecuting charges against Lessner or for the defense, I can't tell you.

"The defendant has a constitutional interest in receiving a full and fair defense. If his lawyer thinks those things are relevant, then the gun remains as evidence in the case. We have contacted Lessner through his lawyer and asked if they would agree to release the evidence that has been seized by police at this point. He indicated that he is not willing to do so."

That explanation doesn't sit well with Buxton, who thinks "the good guys aren't supposed to be penalized, and I consider myself one of the good guys."

"I didn't feel like a victim the first time, simply because I had a firearm and I knew how to use it, and that at least made us equal," said Buxton, who has completed the training and testing to receive a state-issued concealed carry permit. "But I feel victimized by my own police department because they won't return my property."

Buxton has enlisted the help of Arlington attorney Albert Ross to try to get her gun back. Ross, a member of the NRA and the Texas State Rifle Association, is contemplating filing a motion that would force Lessner's court-appointed attorney to declare in court why the gun is relevant.

"I think he's hanging onto it just for the hassle factor," Ross said Thursday. "If a judge enters an order to give Susan her gun back, it might force someone who doesn't want that to happen to go up on appeal. I don't think the state should pay for a court-appointed defense attorney to appeal such an order."

Buxton's frustration is understandable, but the truth is that she has the full force of the state working on her behalf to prosecute the suspect. Right now you couldn't convince her of that, since she sees the good guys -- the police and the district attorney's office -- as part of her problem.

As much as crime victims and victims' advocates dislike hearing it, the American justice system is about protecting the defendant's right to a fair trial. The accused, who is presumed innocent until proven guilty by a jury of peers, must have the leeway to mount a full defense. It's a well-established concept of our criminal justice system that if the prosecution has information that could cast doubt on the defendant's guilt, the evidence must be handed over.

It's impossible to know what Lessner's lawyer might argue, or by what stretch of the imagination Buxton's gun would figure into his defense. For now, her .38 remains in the police property room.

But thanks to the handgun and Buxton's ability to use it, this grandmother of 11 will spend Christmas with her family -- and Lessner will remain in the Tarrant County Jail, where his Christmas cheer will be three hots and a cot.

Link to article (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/opinion/13377049.htm)

lee
12-14-2005, 02:02 AM
I love this Woman and would offer to help her buy a new one while the wheels of justice grind away. I donate $25.00.

fbuckner
12-14-2005, 03:11 AM
If Anyone is serious I will donate $25 bones to.

ROOKIESHOOTER
12-14-2005, 08:47 AM
As far as I am concerned this is just one more reason to own more than one gun!

Freetime
12-14-2005, 10:47 AM
After reading this article I e-mailed the person who wrote it and made a serious offer to personally replace Susan Buxtons' handgun if she feels the need to do so. Being a retired grandparent myself, I'm very proud of her for doing what was necessary to protect herself. Too bad everyone isn't as determined as she is to protect themselves! My kind of lady!!!
Larry

Freetime
12-14-2005, 11:43 AM
I just received a very nice reply to my e-mail. The reporter said Susan does have other firearms in her home(a fact that she requested the reporter not to reveal). Just wanted to pass on the info. So now we all have extra $$ to spend on ????
Larry

Knimrod
12-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Here is the 911 call recording (http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=1303012) that Susan's granddaughter made during the home invasion. You can clearly hear the shots and Susan's commands to the intruder. What's truly outrageous is the 911 operator's directions to "stop shooting" him. Who the hell is this operator to tell someone to stop defending themselves in the middle of a confrontation with an intruder in their own home?!? Sheesh...

Kudos to you Susan!

goldwing2000
12-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Awesome!

G22
12-14-2005, 02:20 PM
So now we all have extra $$ to spend on MGO Membership

Fixed it for ya!!

Freetime
12-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Fixed it for ya!!

I'm good until Feb 2008 but that's a real good idea!!!
Larry

Knimrod
01-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Back in the holster again
Jan. 15, 2006
By J.R. LabbeStar
Telegram Staff Writer

Granny's got her gun back.

Two months and two days after Arlington police confiscated the .38-caliber revolver that Susan Gaylord Buxton used to defend herself and her granddaughter from an intruder in her Arlington home, the firearm was returned.

It took a local attorney jawing with Tarrant County District Attorney Tim Curry, references to case law provided by the legal counsel for the National Rifle Association and a court order, but it happened Wednesday.

"We have all won this battle," an elated Buxton e-mailed last week. "That battle is to NOT treat us -- the individual, law-abiding citizen -- as if we were part of the local criminal element. Gee, especially when we're helping the law enforcement authorities to catch these jerks!"

The "jerk" whom Buxton helped the police catch, Christopher Lessner, remained in the Tarrant County Jail last week, where he's been since Nov. 9, unable to make the $15,750 bail that stems from charges of criminal mischief, criminal trespass and evading arrest, and a theft case unrelated to Buxton's.

Lessner, 22, lunged at the 66-year-old Buxton after she discovered him hiding in her hall closet. According to police, he took refuge there after fleeing from Arlington officers during a traffic stop. It earned him a gunshot wound in the leg.

Buxton never could cotton on to why police seized her gun in the first place. She understood that it had to be secured while they investigated the 911 call. But she didn't know why they kept it, given she hadn't done anything wrong. If it was needed in court, she would have been more than happy to produce it at trial.

"The Arlington Police Department had the gun and was told by the DA to hang onto it," Arlington attorney Albert Ross, who helped Buxton, said Thursday. "My discussions with the DA's office were most understanding and cooperative. Actually, I did not have to file a motion. Tim Curry saw fit to have one of his assistants look at the issue and then ask the judge for an order releasing the gun."

That assistant was Eric Nickols; the judge was Mike Thomas of Criminal District Court 4. According to Nickols, Thomas signed a court order on Dec. 22 asking for the gun's return.

It may have helped that, during his chats with Curry, Ross was armed with a letter from Stefan Tahmassebi, deputy general counsel to the NRA, that cited four cases involving the seizure of a firearm.

Tahmassebi wrote that the state has a right to seize weapons that are used to commit a crime. (This wasn't the case with Buxton.) Police and the prosecutor still have a right to use seized property as evidence in a criminal proceeding if it is necessary to prove said crime. (Also not the case with Buxton.)

"However, if these circumstances are not present, the state has no right to seize or to refuse to return seized property. In fact, a refusal to return such property may violate constitutional due process guarantees," Tahmassebi wrote.

Very persuasive stuff.

Buxton was miffed about her experience Wednesday in retrieving the firearm. She and Ross had to cool their heels while the police ran both the firearm and Buxton through federal databases to ensure that neither were wanted in connection with any crime, even though Ross had contacted the department on Tuesday to let officials know they were coming.

As much as the records check irritated Buxton, Ross acknowledged that it was standard departmental procedure.

"If there was an issue to raise about it, it was that the police should have run those checks right after they picked up the gun, not while we were waiting in the lobby," Ross said.

Buxton also was floored that the gun, which was in a brown paper bag secured by red tape and marked "evidence," was returned separately from the three bullets that were in it at the time the gun was seized.

"They wouldn't release my three remaining rounds (Hydra-Shock hollow points) at the same time they gave me the gun," Buxton e-mailed.

This is where Buxton crosses the line to unreasonable. It's completely understandable that the gun was returned unloaded, with the bullets in a separate container. Buxton may be the most law-abiding person on the face of God's earth, but it only takes one person acting a fool to result in a dead officer.

Police can never be too cautious when it comes to being around other people handling guns. Sadly, that's a fact of life. It was not a statement about Buxton as an individual -- it is a policy that is meant to keep everyone alive.

"Everyone has rules and procedures to follow," Ross said. "I certainly understand the hoops we had to go through in order for Susan to take physical possession of the gun.

"All in all, everything worked just wonderful."

Link to story (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/opinion/13626329.htm)