PDA

View Full Version : Capital Area District Library Continues to break the law

Tallbear
04-28-2011, 11:11 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
9 AM EDT April 27,2011

Phone: (877)ASK-MGO1
Email: info@migunowners.org (info@migunowners.org)

Capital Area District Library Continues to break the law

Capital Area District Library and Mr. Lance Werner are determined to take away the rights of gun owners in Michigan by denying our rights granted under Article 1 Section 6 of the Michigan Constitution.

Michigan Gun Owners, a statewide non-profit organization, will not stand by and let this injustice go unchallenged. Today, Michigan Gun Owners filed suit defending the rights of ALL gun owners in Michigan.

The Capital Area District Library and Mr. Werner admitted in court that they aim to stop ALL lawful carry of firearms in their library, including concealed carry which is granted under state law.

This Lansing area library wants us to believe they are a school, but they do not employ teachers or faculty as every other “school” is required to do.

This Lansing area library wants us to believe they are not a local unit of government, but receives 87% of their operating costs from tax payers.

This Lansing area library has gone so far as to follow behind someone while in the library for no other reason than because they “believed” that person was “legally” carrying a hand gun concealed.

“Michigan Gun Owners throughout the state will stand united in protecting the right to bear arms protected by our state constitution” says Mike Thiede, Public Relations Director for Michigan Gun Owners. “When local units of government try to take our rights from us, they will find themselves on the wrong side of the law and find Michigan Gun Owners there to challenge their unlawful policies and procedures”.

###

Michigan Gun Owners was established in 2002 with the mission to educate the public and encourage grass roots activism on a state-wide level through various outreach programs and a popular community forum on the Internet. Michigan Gun Owners has become Michigan’s fastest growing, grass roots gun rights advocacy organization.

To learn more about Michigan Gun Owners, please visit http://www.migunowners.org (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/../)

esq_stu
04-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Thank you MGO and Shyster for making this happen.

Wolvee
04-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Very Good.

RifleGuy
04-28-2011, 11:49 AM
I wish to add my sincere thanks as well. Thank you.

kkolodsick
04-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Exactly why I want to be a part of this.

Thanks leadership, well done.

hopeitsfast
04-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Great to see.

RPMO6
04-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Thank you to MGO for ALL of your efforts.

edge
04-28-2011, 01:23 PM
thanks you for doing this

Bikenut
04-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Well done!

zigziggityzoo
04-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Suit filed was a Good read. :lol:

miked
04-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Good to see this action taken. And Thank You!

who dat
04-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Be sure to make Mr. Werner refrain from attempting this at other positions he occupies in the field if you can. He's already on the move and coming to the west side.

Joeywhat
04-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Link to complaint.

MGO_v_CADL (http://migunowners.org/pub/media/CADL/MGO_v_CADL_Amended_Complaint.pdf)

dougwg
04-28-2011, 03:15 PM
sweet!

Sic em Jim!

durus5995
04-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Best freaking $25 I have ever spent. Cant wait to see what the CADLs next move will be or the outcome of the whole enchalada. Any idea when the next court dates are?

esq_stu
04-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Best freaking $25 I have ever spent. Cant wait to see what the CADLs next move will be or the outcome of the whole enchalada. Any idea when the next court dates are?Case could get combined with MOC. If so, May 25, 2011 at 2:30 p.m. If not, we'll have to see what CADL does in response.

jsxtreme
04-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Well done MGO.

Geo
04-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Glad to hear about this.

Brian D
04-28-2011, 04:03 PM
:clap: So if I'm reading this correctly, MGO is also suing for 25,000?

scrapinby
04-28-2011, 04:18 PM
This is why I finally joined MGO. Good job and go get 'em.

esq_stu
04-28-2011, 04:22 PM
:clap: So if I'm reading this correctly, MGO is also suing for 25,000?If you don't ask, you won't get. ;)

northofnowhere
04-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Glad to hear it, and the $25K part. CADL has asked the court to reward CADL all court costs, all legal fees, and "any other such relief the court deems just and equitable." Sounds like they want MOC to pay for them to continue to break the law. Hit them in the pocketbook and slap them in the face please.

TheWabbit
04-28-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm glad I renewed my membership,
Thank you to all those involved.

John

dramey82
04-28-2011, 07:05 PM
I'll have admit I had doubts about renewing, not anymore!

TheQ
04-28-2011, 07:42 PM
This is why I joined MGO. I saw a few months ago I could count on them to help defend our rights -- even if it wasn't popular at the time.

Ruger
04-28-2011, 08:39 PM
:cheers: to our Attorneys :clap:

cmike
04-28-2011, 08:42 PM
The best defense is a good offense.

forrest0872
04-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Thank you MGO !!!!

goes to get wallet and pay for membership -:-D

XDM 40 cal
04-28-2011, 09:20 PM
:nono: :nono: :nono: CADL....Awsome MGO...If we cant protect our right who else would?

Hyperion
04-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Nice Complaint MGO & Shyster. Well done!

SeeTee
04-28-2011, 10:34 PM
:thumbup:

stainless1911
04-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Nice, just make sure the OC ban fails. If they get thier way, Im afraid that will be in jeopardy until we win on appeals.

RayMich
04-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Link to complaint.

http://migunowners.org/pub/media/CADL/MGO_v_CADL_Complaint_FILED.pdf

Linky No worky! :shrugs:

Not Found

The requested URL /pub/media/CADL/MGO_v_CADL_Complaint_FILED.pdf was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.15 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.15 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at migunowners.org Port 80

northofnowhere
04-28-2011, 11:35 PM
no clue why it was taken down, but MOC has their link working. If we need to black line something let us know and we will.

http://miopencarry.org/moc_files/MGO_v_CADL_Complaint_FILED.pdf

malignity
04-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Thank you MGO. I'm proud to be a member of this organization. Well done.

PhotoTom
04-29-2011, 01:01 AM
no clue why it was taken down, but MOC has their link working. If we need to black line something let us know and we will.

http://miopencarry.org/moc_files/MGO_v_CADL_Complaint_FILED.pdf

Shyster requested that it be taken down temporary.

-Admin

RayMich
04-29-2011, 01:57 AM
Shyster requested that it be taken down temporary.

-Admin

I think I know why.

In that case, you may want to delete post No. 34 with the link to MOC and the quote in your post.

northofnowhere
04-29-2011, 06:54 AM
o0o0o00o0o, more secrets! anyways, I have temporarily removed the file from MOC server until someone decides to say why or re-post. :(

METL
04-29-2011, 12:38 PM
awww crud. Anyone have any email copies? :D

Shyster
04-29-2011, 01:19 PM
I had to amend the complaint, which is done. The new one should be posted by the end of the day I would think.

hendo
04-29-2011, 01:44 PM
I never thought I would be so happy to be affiliated with a shyster (Lump in throat),
but thanks for all of your work Shyster! :salute: I'm ashamed to say it took this long but I just became a paid member :facepalm: . Thanks alot MGO and might I suggest that you also :roshambo: the librarian with delusions of grandeur.

Hendo

RayMich
04-29-2011, 07:14 PM
I had to amend the complaint, which is done. The new one should be posted by the end of the day I would think.
Thanks Shyster.

I really appreciate all the work you and everyone else here are doing for all gun owners in this state.

ranttrmike
04-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Well, I have come and recently to look around, see what's up, and if a membership was worth my while.

Next week you folks will get another $25.00, and a new member.

Any 'volunteer' work I can do to help out? PM me...

hopeitsfast
04-29-2011, 07:34 PM
I'd like to personally thank all of the forum members that have chosen to become MGO Members!! Good job folks. 8)

DooFighter
04-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Well, I have come and recently to look around, see what's up, and if a membership was worth my while.

Next week you folks will get another $25.00, and a new member.

Any 'volunteer' work I can do to help out? PM me...

Been here a year or two now...this is great news, I shall pony up and officially join MGO. Good job, guys (and gals?)

stainless1911
04-29-2011, 09:04 PM
I'll join up when I can free up the $.

Bronson
04-30-2011, 02:51 AM
Hells yes.

Just joined.

Bronson

PhotoTom
04-30-2011, 04:39 AM

Amended complaint (new link):

http://migunowners.org/pub/media/CADL/MGO_v_CADL_Amended_Complaint.pdf

dfrak
04-30-2011, 06:17 AM
I'm very glad that MGO has taken this step.

Is there a fund set up specifically to support this effort to which we can contrbute?

Thanks,
Dan

johnzilla
04-30-2011, 06:59 AM
I'm very glad that MGO has taken this step.

Is there a fund set up specifically to support this effort to which we can contrbute?

Thanks,
Dan

Yes.

http://www.migunowners.org/index.php?page=donate

Leader
04-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Interesting that MOC is at the root of this effort and MGO is getting new members because of their support of them.
I wonder how the NRA, MCRGO, or others are going to benefit when they finally get in on the appeals?
Who is going to get the credit when this results in expanded acknowledgement of our rights here in MI.?
Who will get the blame if it backfires?

zigziggityzoo
04-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Interesting that MOC is at the root of this effort and MGO is getting new members because of their support of them.
I wonder how the NRA, MCRGO, or others are going to benefit when they finally get in on the appeals?
Who is going to get the credit when this results in expanded acknowledgement of our rights here in MI.?

MGO is getting members because of MGO's action.

MOC could very well be getting the same.

I, personally, having played a part in the development after the beginning of MOC, don't keep a membership for personal reasons. I support the institution's right to exist and it's mission at the core, but I don't want to be a member at this time.

northofnowhere
04-30-2011, 08:01 AM
rock on mgo, meager donation sent.

Tallbear
04-30-2011, 09:02 AM
This is not a fight that should take place between gun rights activist. It's a fight between supporters and anti-gunners.

Support this fight or find another fight you can support.

Tallbear
04-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Linky No worky! :shrugs:

Link fixed

XDM 40 cal
04-30-2011, 10:23 AM
This is not a fight that should take place between gun rights activist. It's a fight between supporters and anti-gunners.

Agreed...there is no need to Bash or point out shorts comming's...MOC and MGO are for the samething 2A rights.

If you OC or CC it still our right to carry, and not let the people run us off beacuse they havent open there eyes to the real world.:twocents:

Wolvee
04-30-2011, 10:26 AM

Some people just fight anything. :togo:

RayMich
04-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Amended complaint (new link):

http://migunowners.org/pub/media/CADL/MGO_v_CADL_Amended_Complaint.pdf

Link fixed

Thank you.

esq_stu
04-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Off-topic posts deleted.

stainless1911
04-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks, its getting old.

johnzilla
05-01-2011, 06:03 AM

Who cares?

Who cares? IMHO worrying about this is the reason gun rights groups in MI are fractured and not working together and IMHO the reason the antis do so well in MI and do it so easily.

MGO initiated our suit. The Board was fully informed when we made the decision, had legal advice, and we discussed it as thoroughly as we could. We knew the risks.

Again, worrying about "what if" is how things don't get done. In the end, if we're not fighting for what is right, what are we doing?

zigziggityzoo
05-01-2011, 09:56 AM
MGO turned lemons into lemonade. Let's just keep the momentum rolling.

bob the goat
05-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Love it! You guys hit this out of the park.

fbuckner
05-02-2011, 08:07 PM
I encourage every one to join MGO and MOC My membership will be going into MOC as well this week. These two groups are THE BEST in the state PERIOD.

METL
05-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all the work and donations put in by everyone.

Pecos Bill
05-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Isn't it a shame. People buy guns and crime drops another 6.2% then there is this idot...

Other states allow carrying in schools and churches. We are behind on that one.

stainless1911
05-02-2011, 10:58 PM
True, but many of us are actively working on that.

Glockslinger
05-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Nice bit of e-mail to drop into my box! Well done, Mike & The MGO gang! Even though it's not a library I'd frequent, we must fight wherever ILLEGAL activity raises its ugly head! One more blow against the empire. Isn't it ironic that you can do into the capitol building, and even the legislative office building with your concealed gun, yet this library thinks they're above the law? Uh huh...

scot623
05-03-2011, 12:33 PM
I encourage every one to join MGO and MOC My membership will be going into MOC as well this week. These two groups are THE BEST in the state PERIOD.

High praise, indeed! As VP of MOC I also encourage everyone to join MGO and MOC today. Support the two preeminent homegrown firearm rights organizations in Michigan, we need you!

50 BMG
05-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Is THIS the same library that filed the restraining order against Open Carry Inc. (or whatever those idiots call themselves) to prevent them from open-carrying in their library???

stainless1911
05-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Yes.
Its our library not thiers. The policy is illegal, and we are going to cash out on it.

This is the same troll cop who was owned on OCDO a few days ago.

northofnowhere
05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Michigan Open Carry, Inc. is the name, mostly referred to as MOC, and it's members, myself included, are not idiots, nor do I appreciate the attack. For the record they filed against us to stop CARRYING in the library, not to stop just open carriers.

stainless1911
05-03-2011, 05:14 PM
+1 North, they said in open court that the intent is to eliminate all forms of carry, I know, I read the transcripts.

who dat
05-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Is THIS the same library that filed the restraining order against Open Carry Inc. (or whatever those idiots call themselves) to prevent them from open-carrying in their library???Care to elaborate?

stainless1911
05-03-2011, 08:26 PM
If someone would have gotten in someones face, criminal charges would have been filed. Truth is, they got the injunction from an activist liberal judge who possibly broke laws by issuing it, because the police got tired of coming out for nothing.

They werent the zealots here, they just did what you dont have the balls to do.

Leader
05-03-2011, 09:01 PM
If someone would have gotten in someones face, criminal charges would have been filed. Truth is, they got the injunction from an activist liberal judge who possibly broke laws by issuing it, because the police got tired of coming out for nothing.

They werent the zealots here, they just did what you dont have the balls to do.

Except they weren't
Security at the library got in Ven's face & nothing happened.
Nobody seems to care if OUR rights are violated, as long as THEY don't feel uncomfortable.

stainless1911
05-03-2011, 09:16 PM
That I wasn't aware of. I thought the reference was, that one of our guys got in the face of someone at the library.

Tallbear
05-03-2011, 09:21 PM
This thread is about MGO taking on the CADL. Let's stay on topic.

stainless1911
05-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Didnt know we were off topic.

Roundballer
05-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Didnt know we were off topic.
Yes you are, a few here are back to arguing about the case that CADL filed against MOC. This thread is about the case that MGO has filed against CADL.

Go back and look at post #48. There is a link to the complaint.....

Here: http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1253713&postcount=48

stainless1911
05-03-2011, 10:51 PM
sorry then, I though the subjects started essentially as a result of the same series of events.

johnzilla
05-04-2011, 05:26 AM
Based on what the judge said, she is not open to any ban on concealed carry.

That's not the point.

The point: Michigan voters deserve clarity in the law. For example, the loophole that allows entities like U-M to have their own laws. If the judge rules that CADL as an "authority" has the right to make their own firearms policies outside of the preemption statute, then we will have every "authority" in the state doing it. We'll also get all sorts of new "authorities" (like downtown development authorities) being created and making firearms policy outside the preemption statute for things like festivals and other events that involve locations that aren't currently on the CEZ list like open, public streets used for art festivals.

Even if the policy is OC-related, even if the judge in MOC's case doesn't let CADL make CC-related policies due to the preemption statute, the larger legal issue is not OC vs CC. It is about "authorities" suddenly being raised above everyone else and having the ability to create their own firearms policies.

Again, our suit is NOT about OC or CC. MGO filed suit against CADL to make it clear to anyone trying to circumvent or change the law that they will get the biggest, best fight we can bring and to make sure that we don't find ourselves on a slippery slope of ad-hoc "authorities" being able to do what they want with firearms policies.

Again, not about OC vs CC. Whether anyone supports open carry or MOC is not the issue (though IMHO all firearms owners should support each other)...the MGO suit is about something bigger that effects all Michigan citizens. We already have too many firearms laws in MI and those we have are messy and unclear with lots of loopholes and gray areas. We deserve clarity in our laws if we're going to have them, and letting some "authority" suddenly be able to make firearms policies outside of state law is not the way and definitely not a precedent we want set.

Michigan Gun Owners filed suit in accordance with our mission statement to protect and defend our firearms rights. All of them. We need to keep focused on that, not on OC vs. CC.

Ken1973
05-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Way to take it to 'em MGO! Membership is money well spent!