PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Safe, Easy Access.

LeoBound
04-29-2011, 08:03 AM
So, my wife and I are Night and Day. Although I am as redneck as they come, my wife is a mix of gothic and emo and a hardcore democrat. Being as in depth with the CRJ and Homeland Security Field as I am, I have become slightly paranoid throughout my training. I, like most of you, KNOW what goes on in the world and that it can be a scary place, especially sense Pontiac and Detroit have been spreading farther and farther west. She does not like to lock the doors (and does not like them locked). Our home is a prime target as I am a well known rare book dealer and firearm collector. My biggest fear is for my 5 year old son and my wife. She does not want my firearms easily accessible by anyone, including myself. She requires that it be trigger locked, barrel locked, in it's case, the case locked, and unloaded (of course). I recently tested several times, the length of time it would take me to unlock everything, load the magazine, and have it ready-to-fire; nearly three minutes with light, five minutes in the dark. With these test times, it is almost pointless to have a firearm handy for home protection.

Now that I have rotted your eyeballs with a lengthy story I will get to the point. I have hidden a clip for easy access that is fully loaded; however, gaining access to the gun quickly is by far my biggest concern. Is there an easier way to do this? Have it loaded (safely), and ready to go in case of an emergency? Are there any safe locks that are magnetic and easily removed, yet not so easy a five year old could do it? Are there any form of "under-clips" that I might be able to latch it uncased under my night stand?

:help:

Kratos
04-29-2011, 07:06 PM
http://www.gunvault.com//handgun-safes/microvault-biometric/mvb500.html

hopeitsfast
04-29-2011, 07:15 PM
So, my wife and I are Night and Day. Although I am as redneck as they come, my wife is a mix of gothic and emo and a hardcore democrat. Being as in depth with the CRJ and Homeland Security Field as I am, I have become slightly paranoid throughout my training. I, like most of you, KNOW what goes on in the world and that it can be a scary place, especially sense Pontiac and Detroit have been spreading farther and farther west. She does not like to lock the doors (and does not like them locked). Our home is a prime target as I am a well known rare book dealer and firearm collector. My biggest fear is for my 5 year old son and my wife. She does not want my firearms easily accessible by anyone, including myself. She requires that it be trigger locked, barrel locked, in it's case, the case locked, and unloaded (of course). I recently tested several times, the length of time it would take me to unlock everything, load the magazine, and have it ready-to-fire; nearly three minutes with light, five minutes in the dark. With these test times, it is almost pointless to have a firearm handy for home protection.

Now that I have rotted your eyeballs with a lengthy story I will get to the point. I have hidden a clip for easy access that is fully loaded; however, gaining access to the gun quickly is by far my biggest concern. Is there an easier way to do this? Have it loaded (safely), and ready to go in case of an emergency? Are there any safe locks that are magnetic and easily removed, yet not so easy a five year old could do it? Are there any form of "under-clips" that I might be able to latch it uncased under my night stand?

Please don't take offense to this, but you seriously need to straighten out your wife. By having the 'restrictions' she has, and leaving the door unlocked at all times, she is risking the life of herself,you, and your child.

There are effective ways of keeping your firearm out of the hands of your child, and still having access to it. If it takes you 3-5 mins to have a functioning weapon, you might as well get a baseball bat and sell your firearms.

Good luck to you. :salute:

jasonalun
04-29-2011, 07:37 PM
I second hopeitsfast. With all due respect, your wife's wishes are putting her family in jeopardy. It is crazy not to lock doors in any instance, but with you being a known collector of books and firearms, you are right on the money - you are a certain target. You need to protect yourself and them NOW by getting tough and demanding locked doors and the gun loaded and in a quick-access safe where you can get to it in less than a minute when needed and it is ready to use immediately. This isn't being a domineering or macho husband, it is showing leadership and caring for the ones you love and who's well being is entrusted to you.

Good luck to you from me as well.

gixxergreg
04-29-2011, 08:51 PM
An unlocked house and locked up guns do not make any sense. It's bass-ackwards

7of9
04-30-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm with everyone else. Your wife needs to take off her rose-colored glasses and realize that evil exists in the world. After you explain or show her how long it would take you to retrieve your gun (if you could get to it), load it and stop the threat, ask her how she would feel if your child were hurt or worse in those x-minutes. Ask her as a Mom, doesn't she want to do everything possible to keep her child from harm? Lastly, instead of going to get your gun and load it, why not wear it all the time?

Buzzcat
04-30-2011, 12:00 PM
As an aside, it appears that you live in Milford and deal in rare books. No offense, but I'm having a hard time imagining that the zombies are going to storm your house anytime soon. :wink:

That said, locked doors are good, and stick your gun far enough under your mattress so that a 5 year old's arm won't reach. Or leave it on a closet shelf.

Then tell the wife to STFU and buy her something she likes. :cheers:

Shyster
04-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Personally, I would never marry anyone with such different views as my own.

Educate her or divorce her.

Buzzcat
04-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Personally, I would never marry anyone with such different views as my own.

Educate her or divorce her.

Well that earns a vote for the harsh comment of the day....

usmcpaul
04-30-2011, 09:17 PM
.......tell the wife to STFU ....... :cheers:
:yeahthat:

woody1960
05-01-2011, 08:27 AM
We use to live in Commerce and the White Lake for years.When I got my 1st gun my wife didnt like it either. But, I dug up news articles on the internet and made sure she new about every bad thing that happend in and around SE MI area.Only took a couple months for her to understand the need. Now here it is some years later and she shoots in the back yard with me.And I have several guns laying in stratigic spots in the house loaded.{Our kids are grown now}She even has her own right on her nogit stand in a safe that will open with her finger print.Keeps the Grand kids safe that way.
If that dont work,just grow a pair, and tell her it is going to be from now on. LOL :biggrin:

DogfoodActual
05-01-2011, 08:48 AM
LOL Good luck with that one. When a woman feels she has to be the man, and clip the testicles of her mate in the things that the man is supposed to do in a relationship, or even society for that matter, I'd be willing to bet there are more control issues than just this.

Here is a perfect opportunity for you to stand your ground and be firm to protect your home and family. Let her go ape s#*t, it's funny to watch. Don't rub it in her face that your standing your ground, and enjoy the couch for a while. :-P

Now get in there son and make us all proud :slap:

who dat
05-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Maybe you should dig up the news stories about the murders at the local Millpond from awhile back.

Milford ain't Mayberry anymore.

il Padrino
05-03-2011, 11:41 AM

"Our home is a prime target..... "
Would you also be posting where you live and what's your address? :)
And then you go and post it for everyone in the world to know and to see?
Leaving doors unlocked are the least of your worries, if you go around advertise that your home is a prime target.
Keep in mind, there are dishonest people in the world that would use this info to their advantage.

pfries
05-10-2011, 06:48 PM

franzenint.com (sorry cant post URL yet)

several fast easy and reasonably priced options from bore locks and bed frame mounted security cases to wall mounted trigger locks.

ShootinFool
05-10-2011, 10:32 PM
In the beginning of our relationship, I had to train my wife to always lock the doors, even when just sitting in the yard or going for the mail. We live in a decent middle class neighborhood but we can't predict the future or control other people's actions. I have learned that it is common for thieves to cruise neighborhoods looking for open garage doors and open windows.

As far as guns, I asked her what she would do if somebody busted into the house in the middle of the night and she had no defensive answer except dialing 911. I asked her what would happen if the response was slow or if the bad guys came in shooting. She said "well, then I guess we'd be dead". Wrong answer! I don't want us to be dead. Did she want to handle the situation herself or did she want me to handle it?

She admitted that she would be hiding and I would be defending the home on my own. Of course, we both already knew this but I just wanted her to admit that the security of the home was my responsibility. Now when I confront the armed intruders, do you want me to do it empty handed or with a gun or guns? She wanted me to be armed. She likes to shoot but doesn't like to admit the reality that sometimes guns must be used for self defense against other people.

I didn't want it to take a tragegy for her to wise up to the reality of self defense.

Hide a lockable pistol box in the master bedroom so you can be prepared. Just change the batteries twice a year just like your smoke detectors.

jcools
05-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I got a book safe w/ a loaded 38.Looks just like a---------.(can't give up all my secrets)It sits on my mantle.W/ the key hidden for easy access.In my bedroom I have a pistol safe (out of sight and reach of the kids).I unlock it @ night and lock it EVERY morning.Plus the long guns in a safe in the laundry room.

BTW You can also get a S.S necklace and wear your key like dog tags