PDA

View Full Version : Bought a ruger LCR

varminthunter
05-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Bought this gun yesterday, and today I bought some remington standard 38's. I fired about 10 rounds and then the cylinder starts to pop open randomly, some times after 2 shots, I cleaned the gun, oiled the mechanizm, and thought it felt tight. Shot another 10 rounds of remington without issue, Figured I would fire the +P self defense rounds I will be carrying, first shot and pop the cylinder opens up, It is obvious the recoil is allowing the cylinder pin to move. Very disappointed in Ruger, I will not shoot now until the store I bought it from takes it back (unlikely) or I send it in to Ruger. Anyone else had this happen?

Harold

Wolvee
05-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Bought this gun yesterday, and today I bought some remington standard 38's. I fired about 10 rounds and then the cylinder starts to pop open randomly, some times after 2 shots, I cleaned the gun, oiled the mechanizm, and thought it felt tight. Shot another 10 rounds of remington without issue, Figured I would fire the +P self defense rounds I will be carrying, first shot and pop the cylinder opens up, It is obvious the recoil is allowing the cylinder pin to move. Very disappointed in Ruger, I will not shoot now until the store I bought it from takes it back (unlikely) or I send it in to Ruger. Anyone else had this happen?

Harold

Every company has it's individual issues. Wait till Ruger fixes it.

KJDan
05-01-2011, 07:26 PM
I have had a LCR for about 3 months now and have not had a single issue shooting the gun. I have around 300 target rounds through it and 100 SD +p all with no problems. Only complaint I have is the finish on the top rail is chipping off. I'm not easy on the gun and its with me everyday. I did email ruger and they will take it back at no cost to me and fix or replace it.

I'd guess you just happened to get a lemon. Ruger should make it right for you.

BWHaas
05-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I can vouch for the LCR, it is a pretty nice gun. My brother-in-law had one for along time and shot probably 500 rounds through it without to much issue. He was pissed when they came out with the .357 because he really wanted it!

HemiChallenger
05-01-2011, 10:26 PM
My LCR has more rounds down the pipe that I can count and has been cleaned maybe 5 times (I've had it 2 years almost). Only problem I've had with it is the ejector rod comes loose with repeated shooting. A dab of thread lock fixed it. The ejector rod is reverse threads. I didnt realize it was loosening untill I was un-able to close the cylinder while shooting at the range. Quick inspection, tightened and all good. This may be whats going on with your gun.

Siegel1719
05-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Have about 150 Rounds through my LCR and I love it.
My Brother in Law has probably at least double or triple that through his and he loves his with no issues.

Guessing you got unlucky and got a flawed gun. Ruger will make it right.

RevDerb
05-02-2011, 04:36 AM
I had an LCR (actually one of each flavor) and did not have an issue with either gun. Either your gun shop or Ruger themselves will certainly do right by you. :salute: :flag:

Leader
05-02-2011, 05:25 AM
Both my brother-in-laws have them and never a bad word has been said.
Their wives even like them.

just another truck
05-02-2011, 05:52 AM

Harold

I know and feel your frustration, and it doesn't help when everyone jumps in tells ya how good theirs works for them. Good luck!! I hope it gets worked out for you quick, and as mentioned above, check to see if it is coming loose.

varminthunter
05-02-2011, 06:55 AM
It is frustrating, Paid good money, but more bothersom is the fact I bought it mainly for self defense. My wife wanted something simple to load and shoot, Can it be trusted to perform should the unfortunate need arise?

I am glad to hear everyone else seems to be satisfied with theirs, I am sure Ruger will fix.
Thanks,

Harold

XDM 40 cal
05-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Well Ive had Mine For a few weeks now and I dont have this problem you are having...(KLCR357)

Ruger should make it right for you....

Brian D
05-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Man, and I was looking for one as a first wheel gun.

XDM 40 cal
05-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Man, and I was looking for one as a first wheel gun.

If you like you can shoot mine, to see if you want to buy one.

I Know TG has a Use one in .38...

varminthunter
05-02-2011, 06:43 PM
I called Ruger and they are sending UPS with a label to pick up the gun, they said 1 or 2 weeks for return. Sure they will make it right, just frustrating, I had plans on taking the wife to the range this week for some practice.

Harold

GregK
05-02-2011, 08:37 PM
I called Ruger and they are sending UPS with a label to pick up the gun, they said 1 or 2 weeks for return. Sure they will make it right, just frustrating, I had plans on taking the wife to the range this week for some practice.

Harold
I think you have the right mindset. Don't get too upset until you go thru the process. Ruger is a fine company with an excellent reputation for great customer service. Anything can have a problem & unfortunately it is your gun this time. Be patient, see how they handle it for you & go from there.

TNT.45
05-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Just be glad you tested and fired your gun. I teach a C.P.L. class and stress to properly break in your personal defence weapon. It is scarey how many people buy a gun load it up with the cheapest hollow point and call it a day!

I have dealt with Ruger a few times (LCP & SR9, free mag's and hat for the trouble if I remember right...) and they will 100% take care of the problem. I do understand your not being happy with a brand revolver not functioning properly. Since most people buy them for ease of operation and simplicity compared to semi-auto's.

I also worked in manufacturing and know that you can build 100,000 of something and they all be perfect...but every now and then there is a hic-up and bad ones go out. Short of firing a few 100 rounds at the factory on every gun these mistakes will happen and due.

Brian D
05-02-2011, 11:26 PM
If you like you can shoot mine, to see if you want to buy one.

I Know TG has a Use one in .38...

I'll have to take you up on that at the next get together. I think I shot your XD and you shot my mosquito at a prior fun shoot. :fa:

lwout65
05-02-2011, 11:52 PM
I would call rugers customer service asap to get this issue resolved from my understanding they are very good at backing up thier products.

Wolvee
05-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Heck, I've got a brand new unfired S&W 442 I'll trade you if you don't want to deal with Ruger. :coffee:

XDM 40 cal
05-03-2011, 04:43 AM
I'll have to take you up on that at the next get together. I think I shot your XD and you shot my mosquito at a prior fun shoot. :fa:

:biggrin: Sounds Good..

@OP From your last post sounds like ruger is taking care of you...

just another truck
05-03-2011, 05:25 AM
2 weeks? Wow, I just got my Kimber back after 6 weeks. Good luck!!

varminthunter
05-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Well UPS just left, 2nd day air label. Hopefully 2 weeks or less.

Harold

saila22
05-03-2011, 09:12 PM
I have had a LCR for about 3 months now and have not had a single issue shooting the gun. I have around 300 target rounds through it and 100 SD +p all with no problems. Only complaint I have is the finish on the top rail is chipping off. I'm not easy on the gun and its with me everyday. I did email ruger and they will take it back at no cost to me and fix or replace it.

I'd guess you just happened to get a lemon. Ruger should make it right for you.

+1 No problems at all.

varminthunter
05-13-2011, 04:13 PM
I got a card from Ruger yesterday 5/12/11 that they recieved my pistol on 5/05/11. Thought it was pretty slow acknowlegement. Any way today 5/13/11 the UPS truck pulls in and dropped off a box from Ruger. (had too sign for it of course), well it is my pistol, back in a total of 10 days. Pretty good service, already test fired and seems like the action is much tighter. They said they replaced a spring and fixed my front sight. I didn't know I had a problem with my sight. Anyway glad to have it back.

Harold

scubatke
05-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Ruger's customer service is VERY good. They will take care of any issues and make you happy.