PDA

View Full Version : Bugs

stainless1911
05-03-2011, 02:52 AM
The other day I went out to shoot, and was plagued by a cloud of these little black flies. I think they were flies anyways. There were literally thousands of them, they didn't bite, they kept running into me though, and bouncing off my face and ears. They had this rather irritating habit of hanging around the back of your head where you cant see them. What are these little demons, and how do you keep them away?

By the time I left, I was wishing I has a tactical nuke, or perhaps a forest fire fighting KC-10 full of bug spray.

sullyxlh
05-03-2011, 09:01 AM
and how do you keep them away?
Deet for the skin.
Permethrin in the laundry for cloths.

MichiganShootist
05-03-2011, 09:48 AM
In Canada the call them "no see'ums) they will chew bites of you flesh away if they have the chance. About the only thing that works is a head net.

They seem to like most bug sprays.

aquatic-archer
05-03-2011, 04:22 PM
I know it's going to sound funny but Bounce fabric softner sheets and rub them on you.

Easyrider49
05-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Bounce sheets work real good for mosquitoes also , I tuck a sheet into the back strap on my hat and let it hang down onto my neck . I have never tried it on those little bugs , I think they are some sort of gnats they do not bite just annoy the heck out of you . Seems like they love to get into my eyes too .

stainless1911
05-04-2011, 12:09 AM
evil little things. If I find a genie in a lamp, one wish will be that any bug within 10 feet of any human, would die instantly.:hydrogen:

GarrettJ
05-04-2011, 06:21 PM
The other day I went out to shoot, and was plagued by a cloud of these little black flies. I think they were flies anyways...

Circle flies.

:-D

OzShadow
06-11-2011, 12:06 PM
The bad thing is repellants will often keep them off of you, but they still hover around you.

stainless1911
06-14-2011, 10:30 AM
repellants make me ill, they are not an option for me.

Dabears!
06-15-2011, 10:23 AM
if youre walkin around with a cloud of flies my guess would be shower.
if its not flys and its just gnats id say bug spray
if bug spray is not an option time to dry the bounce.
if that dont work just deal with it

Rasher
06-25-2011, 07:17 AM
Has anybody tried those CLIP-ON things from OFF, I bought a couple last year but never had a chance to use them, has anybody had them in stand also.

Buzzcat
06-25-2011, 07:31 AM
Has anybody tried those CLIP-ON things from OFF, I bought a couple last year but never had a chance to use them, has anybody had them in stand also.

I had a friend who bought one. He wasn't impressed. It was pretty much useless when there was even a gentle breeze going on.

His comment was that he'd get better results if he walked around with a $2 Citronella candle on his shoulder.

I could see it being more effective inside a closed or sheltered stand though.

YMMV

TomE
06-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Its rained the last few days , the bugs are bad . The skeeters are out all day except when windy .The deer flies come out when the sun rises over the treetops ,the black flies come next . Later on in day when it gets warmer ,the hornets and wasps come out to eat .Then the gnats come out in force in the evening along with a reinforcement of female skeeters . I hardly ever see any bees , anytime.

I don't think anything will stop these bugs.

Then there is the ever present ants ,the foraging fire ants ,carpenter ants , black ants ,the little honey colored ants ,termites , southern brown roaches