PDA

View Full Version : Googlemap!

Knimrod
12-27-2005, 02:22 PM
A new feature has been implemented that can pinpoint member locations across the State. Please click this link (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/VBGooglemap.php) or select "Googlemap" from the navbar then add your location to the map. In some areas, you can zoom in and pinpoint your house from a satellite photo!

Maranatha
12-27-2005, 03:52 PM
THis is really cool,

will this be for member access only

Knimrod
12-27-2005, 06:24 PM
THis is really cool,

will this be for member access only

Anyone can see it but only regisitered forum members can mark a spot and view associated member profiles.

Roger Roney
12-28-2005, 01:09 AM
THis is really cool,<snip> Ditto, but on dialup, the maps are rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy sssssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooo oooooo oooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww to load. :) :)

BTW, I put in my cottage, as it is a much nicer area than NE of Detroit City Airport. :)

Roger

Divegeek
12-28-2005, 08:24 AM
Okay now when I tell people that I live almost with in sight of Cabela's they might believe me.

Maranatha
12-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Lance could you make pins for gun related places.

like blue for gun Shops, organge for gun clubs and so on, green for Gun Ranges

karcent
12-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Excellent suggestion! Particularly the marking of gun clubs/ranges.

Knimrod
12-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Lance could you make pins for gun related places.

like blue for gun Shops, organge for gun clubs and so on, green for Gun Ranges

Hotspots are in the works.

Maranatha
12-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks

Ken P
12-28-2005, 12:24 PM
heck if you want to get real crazy mark anti-carry establishments with RED

cliffd
12-28-2005, 01:02 PM

I like the idea but Jim has addressed that thought (CEZ listing) many times and if I remember correctly, has advised against it.

Ken P
12-28-2005, 05:20 PM
I like the idea but Jim has addressed that thought (CEZ listing) many times and if I remember correctly, has advised against it.

LOL...well I didn't say it was a GOOD idea....

cliffd
12-29-2005, 12:18 PM
LOL...well I didn't say it was a GOOD idea....

True, you got me there.

8)

Knimrod
12-31-2005, 02:02 PM
C'mon!! Only 22 pins so far? Any registered user can stick a pin in the map. Let's see where everyone is! :D

LivoniaDan
12-31-2005, 06:42 PM
THis is really cool,

will this be for member access onlyWOW... You are right in the back yard of one of my old stomping grounds...... Years ago though... The Copa Lounge...... My sister in law and her husband used to own it.....

Maranatha
12-31-2005, 09:50 PM
Dan , We've looked at few houses over by you.

LivoniaDan
01-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Good Neighborhood.......Good neighbors...Good mix of Blue/White collar. At least where I am at..... Great Schools (so Far).......... Everyone takes pride in their homes and keeps things looking good. By and large...... Buying in Livonia was one of the smartest things I have done. Personally the only drawbacks are my garage and lot size....... Need more room and a bigger yard.... But Hey.... that's the 'burbs......

Maranatha
01-01-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm hearing that I need to be at least a 1/2 mile from the freeway, for a lesser chance of a B & E.

I noticed a lot of homes for sale by Middlebelt just north of 96.

I guess its real easy to make your get away on the e-way

Ken P
01-01-2006, 06:06 PM
been a few murders in tha vicinity and probably relate to accesibility

last year (well ok, everything happened last year at this point) restaurant robbery, manager killed...last week that guy killed his grandma, a guy he worked with at UPS 9in the area), then pulled off 96 at beech..pulled into the yard of someone and offed humself

then there's the traffic...

M1911A1
01-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Karen can see it with her laptop but for some reason it doesn't show up on my computer no matter what browser I open.

Jerry
01-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Karen can see it with her laptop but for some reason it doesn't show up on my computer no matter what browser I open.

Pop up Blocker? Firewall?

Either can stop you from seeing certain sites.

karcent
01-02-2006, 07:32 PM
How do I make my balloon yellow?

Knimrod
01-02-2006, 07:39 PM
How do I make my balloon yellow?

Yellow will probably be the color of the pin used for "hotspots". The code for adding hotspots isn't finished yet but I'm working on the modifications as time permits.

Knimrod
01-04-2006, 04:39 PM
C'mon people! Keep going! 34 pins and counting! There's still lots of you reading this who haven't made their mark yet.

Regarding the hotspots, I will be entertaining submissions to the list of hotspots. "Hotspots" will be storefronts that sell guns, gun ranges or any other place that is of special interest to gun owners and has a public address. If you want to see a hotspot added to the googlemap, please send me the exact coordinates (lat/longs), name, address, etc. in a private message. The hotspots will appear as a yellow pin in the map after I enter them into the database manually.

M1911A1
01-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Pop up Blocker? Firewall?

Either can stop you from seeing certain sites.
None of the above. We're behind the same firewall, going through the same router to the modem. No blockers other than those in the firewall.

goldwing2000
01-06-2006, 12:12 PM
So who is adding the "hot spots"?

Need to include:

Performance Firearms
2155 Pless Dr
Brighton, MI 48114

:thumbup:

Knimrod
01-06-2006, 01:07 PM
So who is adding the "hot spots"?

Three messages up:

Regarding the hotspots, I will be entertaining submissions to the list of hotspots. "Hotspots" will be storefronts that sell guns, gun ranges or any other place that is of special interest to gun owners and has a public address. If you want to see a hotspot added to the googlemap, please send me the exact coordinates (lat/longs), name, address, etc. in a private message. The hotspots will appear as a yellow pin in the map after I enter them into the database manually.

The reason is that the current user interface does not support hotspot submissions and while I can modify the code to do it, I'm concerned about damaging the compatibility with future googlemap upgrades. So for the time being, I'm entering the hotspots in the database manually.

goldwing2000
01-06-2006, 01:40 PM
My question of "who" was only as a precursor to suggesting an addition.

bluethunder
01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
(Quote)C'mon people! Keep going! 34 pins and counting! There's still lots of you reading this who haven't made their mark yet.(Quote)

I tried to do mine but it doesn't show up on the map.

Knimrod
01-06-2006, 06:04 PM
I tried to do mine but it doesn't show up on the map.

Make sure you click on a (your) location in the map to set the latitude and longitude before submiting your marker.

If your mark isn't in the right place, you can fix it by clicking the "Your Entry" button and re-selecting your location from the map. You can zoom in to help find your location--just click on a map location to set the coordinates before clicking the "update information" button.

bluethunder
01-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Ah, it seems to be fine now, Lance. Thank You.

58Sniper
01-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Cool. I'm actually almost done working on a Google maps implementation for the Sex Offender Registry.

Nice work!

bluethunder
01-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Cool. I'm actually almost done working on a Google maps implementation for the Sex Offender Registry.

Nice work!

Good luck on your project, Pat. I think it's a great idea. After checking the MIPSOR I was amazed how many of the perverts live in my zip code(scary). May I ask if it will be local, statewide, or national? I just pray that those two maps never get mixed-up.

Kouger
01-10-2006, 05:43 PM
you also have to remember some of them "perverts" dont belong on it.

58Sniper
01-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Good luck on your project, Pat. I think it's a great idea. After checking the MIPSOR I was amazed how many of the perverts live in my zip code(scary). May I ask if it will be local, statewide, or national? I just pray that those two maps never get mixed-up.

Statewide. I've got that part of it done. Working on the community notifications, and some interface cleanup. I also have to write some better routines for cleaning up all the typos and other errors that are in that database. It's horrible.

But, features include:
offenders in your zip, city, or county
offenders within 1,2,3,4,5 miles of your location
ability to save two locations for easy reference (work & home)
maps showing offenders, with indications of who is a child predator
locations of schools shown on maps
links to their OTIS profile (where possible)
their photos
the ability to be notified when offenders move in or out of your area

and more. The possibilities are endless. You'll likely have reporting capabilites to show stats within your area. That's the easy part.

thumbody
03-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Wow I feel lonely out here in the thumb all by myself.

ANIMAL
03-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Get used to it. There are a few that live in the Port huron area but when you get further up you tend to drive a bit to get to group shoots and stuff. Thats to bad with all the farm like places to shoot up thataway.

I moved from the Croswell area last March 15 and don't miss it much. except for family and a few friends and the good folks of Croswell.

This new place is just as nice but has more open area and the nearest Port Huron is about an hour away.

taurus92
03-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Wow I feel lonely out here in the thumb all by myself.

All alone out here too.... Not that that is a bad thing :)

thumbody
03-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Yep I like the peace and quiet of living out here. I can go out in the back yard and shoot all I want and the only complaints from the neighbors is "Why didn't you invite me".

taurus92
03-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Yep I like the peace and quiet of living out here. I can go out in the back yard and shoot all I want and the only complaints from the neighbors is "Why didn't you invite me".

Well you are not too far north of me so invite me too! HAve a few new toys that need some trigger time

Tank
03-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Cool... looks like I got mine to work too... sheeesh no one around me either except for Family Shooters Corral (up the road a bit).

bluethunder
03-16-2006, 02:14 PM

Now that's the kind of neighbors I like! Welcome, thumbody. And don't forget, you'll always be thumbody to us :)

ANIMAL
03-18-2006, 02:53 PM
you'll always be thumbody to us
Oh thats sad.

:togo:

RobF
03-23-2006, 02:28 PM
I have done that on other sites. Its one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time on the net.

gjgalligan
03-30-2006, 11:34 AM
--

ZIPGRAVER
07-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Hmmm Michigan only???:|

taurus92
07-18-2006, 07:47 PM

Nope 2 in TN

Knimrod
07-18-2006, 09:11 PM

Nope just zoom out and place your marker. Michigan is just the default view.

ZIPGRAVER
07-18-2006, 10:10 PM
OK if you travel west....WAY WEST... you'll see ole Zipgraver.:|

Maranatha
07-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey Zip, I was wondering when you would put you mark on the map

Divegeek
07-20-2006, 05:22 AM
Isn't that you old location? I thought you said you were moving closer to Tahoe?

ZIPGRAVER
07-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Hey Zip, I was wondering when you would put you mark on the map

Well Gary that's gotta make you feel a little closer to me.....HUH:shiner:

Kimberguy1371
07-16-2008, 04:12 AM
I like this little feature, good general area without being too specific. I like and now i know there are 2 MGO members in my area! :ukliam2:

gigabyte3
07-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Not many of you guys in the Shiawassee area.....

fbuckner
07-18-2008, 08:21 AM
heck im pretty close to byron i actually live north of Howell south of Cohoctah

RifleGuy
07-18-2008, 08:26 AM
heck im pretty close to byron i actually live north of Howell south of Cohoctah
Cohoctah.... that's the sound my cat makes when he's horking up a hairball! :lol:

fbuckner
07-18-2008, 02:30 PM
you should hear a drunk guy try to say it.. 'Hi Im from Coh Coh Coh Hack Twooie" Sounds like they spit into a spitoon.

RifleGuy
07-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Playing baseball once a grounder made a bad skip and caught me right in the cohoctahs. I thought I was gonna pass out from the pain and lack of oxygen! :hide:

MrEarp
02-15-2009, 05:25 PM
bump :) Would be nice to get more people on the map.

who dat
02-15-2009, 05:32 PM
bump :) Would be nice to get more people on the map.
Yup, that and to post their location in their profile.:wink:

Rugergirl
02-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Wow who is the lucky member who literally lives on the water???

who dat
02-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Wow who is the lucky member who literally lives on the water???
Dat's me. I'll be there from May-September.

Rugergirl
02-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Dat's me. I'll be there from May-September.
OH you're a part-time resident. I'll be there from the end of March til the end of October.
Just look for the little lady with the big smallmouth bass:grin:

DetroitBiker
02-15-2009, 06:21 PM
im on the water, these photos must be a few months old cause my dock is still out in the satellite pic

DetroitBiker
02-15-2009, 06:22 PM
its cool you can even see the sandbars in the water

Red Sector A
02-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Finally updated my location.

who dat
02-16-2009, 10:41 AM
OH you're a part-time resident. I'll be there from the end of March til the end of October.
Just look for the little lady with the big smallmouth bass:grin:
No, full time, but I just prefer my water to be liquid!

Where do you boat/stay?

Rugergirl
02-16-2009, 11:42 AM
No, full time, but I just prefer my water to be liquid!

Where do you boat/stay?
Starcraft sits on a trailer in the driveway unless I launch. That could be anywhere from 9 Mile to Fairhaven, most commonly Harley Ensign at the foot of S.River Rd. As soon as the ramps are in I'm out somewhere. Early season usually the Detroit River chasing walleye until May. Then you will find me along the Mile Roads chasing toads.
Is it ice-out yet???;)

who dat
02-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Starcraft sits on a trailer in the driveway unless I launch. That could be anywhere from 9 Mile to Fairhaven, most commonly Harley Ensign at the foot of S.River Rd. As soon as the ramps are in I'm out somewhere. Early season usually the Detroit River chasing walleye until May. Then you will find me along the Mile Roads chasing toads.
Is it ice-out yet???;)
The ice breaker cut a path the other day, you might be able to get through that. You may need to watch out for the trees and docks that are still floating down the Grand River for awhile.

_DK_
02-16-2009, 12:53 PM
I added my dot.

We get a nice smell from the Dunken Donuts some mornings... Others its Gasoline from the SHell station.

NoWake
02-23-2009, 09:37 PM
This is a really neat feature.

Roger Roney
02-26-2009, 06:12 AM
Wow who is the lucky member who literally lives on the water???Among the others that have responded, I'm "on the water" in Leamington, Ontario :lol:

Roger

RevDerb
02-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Yup, that and to post their location in their profile.:wink:

Yep! Then Obamessiah won't have such a hard time finding you when he sends the feds out to pick up your guns.

who dat
02-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Yep! Then Obamessiah won't have such a hard time finding you when he sends the feds out to pick up your guns.
I'm pretty sure the Big O knows that in Michigan, he can just about knock on any door and find a gun.:ak2:

M&P .40
03-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Very cool!
It seems I am the only "left coast" member.

MSGT
10-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Had never seen this thread until today. Considering probaqbly everyone on this board is well armed, but not at home 24/7 do you really want your home marked for all the world to see?

who dat
10-31-2012, 07:52 AM
Had never seen this thread until today. Considering probaqbly everyone on this board is well armed, but not at home 24/7 do you really want your home marked for all the world to see?Mine marks the area not the home.

Scoop
10-31-2012, 08:03 AM
Anyone can see it but only regisitered forum members can mark a spot and view associated member profiles.So anyone can look at this map and know where we live? Doesn't that give anyone the ability to locate someone with a house full of expensive firearms? Why would I want to help someone potentially burgle my home?

zigziggityzoo
10-31-2012, 09:09 AM
So anyone can look at this map and know where we live? Doesn't that give anyone the ability to locate someone with a house full of expensive firearms? Why would I want to help someone potentially burgle my home?

You can list yourself as living in the middle of Lake Michigan if you want.

who dat
10-31-2012, 09:09 AM
You can list yourself as living in the middle of Lake Michigan if you want.That's what I did.

zigziggityzoo
10-31-2012, 09:11 AM
That's what I did.

And plus, it doesn't list your location until you go there and mark a spot on the map. So right now, until you add your location, you're not listed.

You can find Timbuktu on the map in Mali and add yourself there at anytime.

dougwg
10-31-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm gunna set mine at living at ziggys house.

MSGT
10-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Then I guess I see no purpose to the idea.

Scoop
10-31-2012, 09:16 AM
You can list yourself as living in the middle of Lake Michigan if you want.Doesn't doing that that defeat the purpose of that new feature, which is:

A new feature has been implemented that can pinpoint member locations across the State.

Scoop
10-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Then I guess I see no purpose to the idea.Exactly.

Scoop
10-31-2012, 09:25 AM
And plus, it doesn't list your location until you go there and mark a spot on the map. So right now, until you add your location, you're not listed.I knew that. But if you add yourself, either (a) you're defeating the purpose of the map by NOT pinning yourself at your proper location or (b) you're telling the world where you live, which can potentially be used by unscrupulous people to target you for burglary.

You can find Timbuktu on the map in Mali and add yourself there at anytime.Defeats the intent as identified by Knimrod in the first post of this thread.

I had one of these when I ran my forums years ago. I restricted all access (including simply viewing the map and pins) to only those people who had donated to support the forums. That way, you did a much better job at knowing those who can view other members' locations were (potentially) more easily identified, and that they were (potentially) less likely to burgle a member's home because they knew you had some legitimate info on them from the donation process (e.g., a PayPal account, etc.).

Just a suggestion, nothing more.

zigziggityzoo
10-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Listing yourself as living in howell, and pinning the map in the center of Howell, MI will not tell the burglar where your house is.

I'm listed as living in the Center of Ann Arbor.

oldskoolford427
10-31-2012, 09:30 AM
+1

Scoop
10-31-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm gunna set mine at living at ziggys house.LOL! :score:

MSGT
10-31-2012, 09:36 AM
Listing yourself as living in howell, and pinning the map in the center of Howell, MI will not tell the burglar where your house is.

I'm listed as living in the Center of Ann Arbor.

That works.

shurhouse
10-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Funny how a thread that had been dead for 3 and 1/2 years gets bumped by someone (59napco)
trying to raise their post count and now it's the talk of the town with 16+ posts in 2 days.

Scoop
10-31-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm listed as living in the Center of Ann Arbor.My condolences ... that town is a *******' mess - in more ways than one :)

zigziggityzoo
10-31-2012, 09:49 AM
My condolences ... that town is a *******' mess - in more ways than one :)

No doubt about that.

But at least the food's good, and they treat open carriers well (with the occasional citizen freak-out to keep things interesting).

Scoop
10-31-2012, 10:26 AM
No doubt about that.

But at least the food's good, and they treat open carriers well (with the occasional citizen freak-out to keep things interesting).Gotta agree with you when it comes to areas populated with lots of folks (liberals or otherwise): Always plenty of choices of good restaurants with great food.

Dabears!
11-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Da Bear Den/ hippy love shack has been added!

Danielson1
11-08-2012, 06:19 PM
No doubt about that.

But at least the food's good, and they treat open carriers well (with the occasional citizen freak-out to keep things interesting).

to Zingermans!

Heavy Guns
11-29-2012, 11:41 PM
According to the map and my credit card statement, I live at Bangkok 96.

dialed-in
04-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Neat, thanks for sharing! I found some pretty cool views of my property!