PDA

View Full Version : Store Clerk Says He'll Continue To Carry Gun

Knimrod
12-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Store Clerk Says He'll Continue To Carry Gun
Clerk Fired From Previous Job After Pulling Gun On Thiefhttp://images.ibsys.com/2005/1229/5716563_240X180.jpg
December 29, 2005
WMUR News

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. -- A store clerk fired for bringing a gun to work has a new job at another store.

Bruce Soiett said that he always brings his .45-caliber handgun to work. He used to work at a Cumberland Farms in Greenland, and on Dec. 7, the store was robbed at gunpoint. When the thief ran, Soiett followed him.

"I yelled at him to stop, and he turned with the gun," Soiett said. "I fired two quick shots because I thought he was going to shoot at me."

No one was hit, and the robber was never caught. Soiett lost his job because Cumberland Farms has a no-weapon policy. The owner of the Exit 3 Travel Stop in Portsmouth was happy to hire him.

"We feel more comfortable having people who can stand up for themselves," store owner Bharat Batel said.

Greenland Police Chief Mike Maloney said that while Soiett has every right to pack heat at work, he has some concerns.

"The clerk might get killed over $200," Maloney said. "I find, in my opinion, it's just best to let us do our jobs."

Soiett said that as long as he has a job at a convenience store, his gun will be loaded, just in case.

"If you come in and rob from me, you may get more than your money," he said.

Cumberland Farms could not be reached for comment.

Link to story and video (http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/5715645/detail.html)

Cherokee
12-30-2005, 04:52 PM
I have to agree with Cheif Maloney. $200 isnt worth anyones life..robber or Victim. Let him have the $200 for cripes sake. The victims legal fee's to protect him/herself after shooting the badguy is going to be far more.

Now, if I feel I'm about to get shot by the robber, then it's over my life and not the $200 to start with. Beware badguy then.

Jerry
12-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Sorry...but with the way criminals think and do things these days...I prefer to be on the cautious side and be armed.

The criminals of today dont want to be identified so they seem to want to kill any witnesses.

As far as this particular clerk...he should have let the bandit go since he did not harm anyone during the hold-up.

If the bandit decided to take the clerks life, at least he would have had a chance to defend himself since he was armed .

Beretta151
12-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Bruce Soiett said that he always brings his .45-caliber handgun to work. He used to work at a Cumberland Farms in Greenland, and on Dec. 7, the store was robbed at gunpoint. When the thief ran, Soiett followed him.

"I yelled at him to stop, and he turned with the gun," Soiett said. "I fired two quick shots because I thought he was going to shoot at me."

But The Thief was on the run, Which means the threat had passed Yet he Followed him and tried to Apprehend. but he's a CLERK NOT A COP i agree with Jerry the Clerk should have let the bandit go

Knimrod
12-31-2005, 11:56 AM
McDonald's worker suspended for shooting at robber

NEW ALBANY, Ind. - A McDonald's maintenance worker who pulled out his gun and fired two shots at a woman who was robbing another employee at gunpoint has been suspended from his job.

While police officials say Clifton Brown Jr. violated no laws last week when he fired the shots shortly after the restaurant's midnight closing, the franchise owner said Brown violated a ban on guns at the restaurant.

The shooting happened as Brown and a co-worker were taking out the trash and a woman, who was on foot, put a gun to the back of the second employee. She then robbed the restaurant in the city just north of Louisville, Ky., through the drive-up window, police said.

Brown told police that he pulled his gun out and ordered the fleeing robber to stop. She then raised her own gun and he fired two shots, which apparently missed the woman, before she continued to flee.

City police Detective Keith Whitlow said he was "not overly enthused about untrained individuals engaging in stuff like that," but that once the robber raised her gun, Brown "was in jeopardy" and had a right to defend himself.
Brown has a permit to carry the handgun, Whitlow said.

Restaurant owner Ron Vanover said Thursday that Brown had been suspended from his job while the shooting was being reviewed. He said he considered Brown's actions inappropriate.

"I think that's common sense," Vanover said. "Money can be replaced; lives cannot."

Brown could not be located for comment as no home telephone number in the New Albany area was listed in his name.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/news/local/13512771.htm

answerguy
01-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I have to agree with Cheif Maloney. $200 isnt worth anyones life..robber or Victim. Let him have the $200 for cripes sake. The victims legal fee's to protect him/herself after shooting the badguy is going to be far more.

You're perpetuating an urban legend here. Shooting a bad guy and getting sued is not very likely. If you have evidence to the contrary please present it.

goldwing2000
01-06-2006, 03:57 PM
You're perpetuating an urban legend here. Shooting a bad guy and getting sued is not very likely. If you have evidence to the contrary please present it.

Unless your actions were obviously 100% justified beyond a shadow of a doubt, then there's a pretty good chance some gung-ho prosecutor is going to bring charges against you.

And that's not to mention any civil suits by the surviving family.

answerguy
01-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Unless your actions were obviously 100% justified beyond a shadow of a doubt, then there's a pretty good chance some gung-ho prosecutor is going to bring charges against you.

And that's not to mention any civil suits by the surviving family.

You've got to ask yourself- How many times do you see an article about a gun being used for self defense? And how often does that article include info about the good guy being proscuted or sued? Not very often.

fbuckner
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Numbers on how many civil cases were brought against michigan residents whom legally protected themselves.
Or how many were Prosecuted for doing the same.
Jim can you shed any light on this? I hear alot of what I will refer to as scare tactics. All this you will get prosecuted or the family will file civil charges. What are the real factual numbers

Knimrod
01-07-2006, 12:16 AM
It will be interesting to follow this local story (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13529) as it unfolds.