PDA

View Full Version : Open carry in a vehicle?

Snoopy
05-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I just read the Michigan gun laws and it says you cannot open carry in a vehicle. Does this mean I can't take my gun into a car? Or does it just have to be unloaded? I'm getting a gun locker in my car so does this count as conceal carry?

Thanks this forum has been a great help to me.

RPMO6
05-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Carry the same way you carry to the range, unloaded, locked (trunk or locked storage).

Snoopy
05-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Cool thanks! I was just confused with this.

rabbivj
05-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I just read the Michigan gun laws and it says you cannot open carry in a vehicle. Does this mean I can't take my gun into a car? Or does it just have to be unloaded? I'm getting a gun locker in my car so does this count as conceal carry?

Thanks this forum has been a great help to me.

Technically you can, however you have to have a CPL because its considered concealed once you enter your vehicle.

RPMO6
05-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Do you have a CPL?

JohnJak
05-12-2011, 05:42 PM
CPL if your a law abiding citizen.

MarkoPo
05-16-2011, 08:23 PM
This is almost a rhetorical question. Under Michigan law as soon as you step into a vehicle it is considered concealed. So by legal definition alone, no you cannot open carry in a vehicle. :bash:

wc5b
05-30-2011, 03:56 PM
So, just by being in the car its legally concealed? Or do you have to have it out of sight even more? Can it be on the seat / between in a holster, or does it have to be under the seat / in the glove box and completely hidden?

Roundballer
05-30-2011, 09:30 PM
So, just by being in the car its legally concealed? Or do you have to have it out of sight even more? Can it be on the seat / between in a holster, or does it have to be under the seat / in the glove box and completely hidden?
"So, just by being in the car its legally concealed?" No, not really. What happens here is that you switch which laws govern the actions. You will be "Transporting" a pistol.

With a CPL, you are "licensed" to carry or transport "concealed or otherwise" a loaded pistol in a motor vehicle. You can duct tape the thing to a window if you want to. It is the fact that there is a written exemption for transporting with a CPL.

Without a CPL, if you enter the vehicle with a loaded firearm of any form, you are in violation of the laws governing the transportation of firearms. You must follow all of the laws about unloaded, cased, and inaccessible, for a pistol. The transport law for a long gun is slightly different.

wc5b
05-31-2011, 01:59 PM
"So, just by being in the car its legally concealed?" No, not really. What happens here is that you switch which laws govern the actions. You will be "Transporting" a pistol.

With a CPL, you are "licensed" to carry or transport "concealed or otherwise" a loaded pistol in a motor vehicle. You can duct tape the thing to a window if you want to. It is the fact that there is a written exemption for transporting with a CPL.

Without a CPL, if you enter the vehicle with a loaded firearm of any form, you are in violation of the laws governing the transportation of firearms. You must follow all of the laws about unloaded, cased, and inaccessible, for a pistol. The transport law for a long gun is slightly different.

OK, thanks for the info. :)

Leader
05-31-2011, 02:10 PM

So nice to see somebody that actually understands that part of the law.

Pistol Teacher
06-01-2011, 05:27 PM

If a pistol is in the vehicle you are carrying, trunk or not, cased or not. Transporting is carrying.

It could be a ccw violation. I do not know about transport violation.

zigziggityzoo
06-01-2011, 05:53 PM
If a pistol is in the vehicle you are carrying, trunk or not, cased or not. Transporting is carrying.

It could be a ccw violation. I do not know about transport violation.

This is one of those times when you shouldn't pipe up because the question's already been answered. All you did was inject confusion into the equation.

zigziggityzoo
06-01-2011, 05:54 PM
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227
The actual law governing the violation.

I'll bold the relevant part.

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.

Note the "or otherwise."

Pistol Teacher
06-01-2011, 06:37 PM
This is one of those times when you shouldn't pipe up because the question's already been answered. All you did was inject confusion into the equation.

After readings RB's thread it seemed he was indicating you would not be charged with a ccw but a soft charge of transporting.

I was trying to get enlightened into his meaning.

It is carrying.

Pistol Teacher
06-01-2011, 06:38 PM
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227
The actual law governing the violation.

I'll bold the relevant part.

Note the "or otherwise."

I am not following. What is the statement.

zigziggityzoo
06-01-2011, 07:14 PM
/facepalm

06camarodude
06-01-2011, 10:59 PM
/facepalm
Just add him to your "ignore" list like everyone else does. lol

Pistol Teacher
06-02-2011, 09:44 AM
trolling are you guys

lwout65
06-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Some time it helps to type slow for us that can not read fast.