PDA

View Full Version : Forrester Info Needed.

joen
01-04-2006, 07:55 AM
Looking for advice/info on selling a significant number of maples on our property in Roscommon County. Idea is to improve wildlife habitat and line the pocket book, as well. Link to reputable outfits and experiences with this type thing is requested.

We are looking at mature sugar and red maple, mature poplar and birch with about 85% being the maples.

Thanks.

fbuckner
01-05-2006, 09:46 AM
I will see if my dad has the name of the outfit that logged his woods.
They Did a good Job didnt mess up alot of young trees and drug the tops so they could be cut into firewood. I just want to say that after opening up the woods a bit the damn Briars went wild. Some areas are like having razor wire all over.

joen
01-06-2006, 06:42 AM
I'd appreciate that, Fred. My sister and I are in no hurry as we aren't exactly sure of the best way to improve the habitat while keeping the dense spruce cover around the marsh. Plan to talk to the soil conservation folks in Roscommon the next time up there and see what they suggest. We're talking 120 acres with about 75% that we consider to be logable.

Batman
01-16-2006, 12:04 AM
Joen, Please consider...

Game birds like woodcock and grouse like young poplar. Deer love young poplar. Turkeys love young poplar. The only way to get young dense stands of poplar is to shock the woods. By that I mean you must clear cut large areas of woods to get the poplar to thickly regenerate. I have foresters in my co. and this is what they tell me. woods will look like crap for a few years but then the fun begins.

Wack away!

alex-vitek
01-16-2006, 06:11 AM
The guy across the road had a guy come in and cut out most of the mature poplar on his acreage. Pretty much a one man crew and he started about a year ago. Any area that he was working on looked bad for most of the season.

The area he started on first though was looking OK by fall. Smaller brush was filling in fast. The grasses greened right up and grew taller than usual because the area had been opened up. More wildflowers were evident.

The cutter left most of the small poplar trees but it was obvious that the area had been logged. In no way did it look like the clear cutting that is done on the state land when they log those areas. But, even those acres will only look bare for a couple of years and then the deer hunting is great. More rabbits and other critters, too.

joen
03-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Met the forrester for our Soil Conservation District at the Novi Outdoor expo. Getting an appointment for 'walkabout' next month. Among other things, found that the District can assist with funding for ponds that benefit water fowl.

LivoniaDan
03-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Might try talking with the local DNR... The may know a reputable and consciencious one...

Batman
03-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Call this guy:

Forest & Land Management LLC
"Specializing in Selective Harvesting"

Tim Thebo

Pewamo, MI

989-593-2552 office
231-349-0124 Cell

He seems to be someone who won't rip you off.