View Full Version : Newer machine guns can now be purchased

Knimrod
01-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Newer machine guns can now be purchased
Cox overrides Kelley's ruling
January 4, 2006
By Chad Selweski
Macomb Daily Staff Writer

A state attorney general's opinion requested by a Macomb County man makes it easier for Michigan residents to obtain modern machine guns.

Attorney General Mike Cox ruled that possession of machine guns manufactured prior to 1986 is legal for those who follow federal application procedures, including fingerprints, a photo and a criminal background check.

"This will open up a larger class of firearms, a larger pool of guns, to people in Michigan," said Michael Sessa Jr. of Harrison Township, 45, who sought the attorney general's opinion. "Now, we'll be able to own slightly newer machine guns."

At issue was a 1977 opinion issued by former attorney general Frank Kelley that limited Michigan ownership of machine guns to relics and antiques. Kelley's ruling was followed by a law adopted by Congress that, as of 1986, outlawed the ownership of newly manufactured machine guns, with the exception of police and the military.

Cox's opinion, issued Dec. 27, supercedes Kelley's ruling, saying that those who successfully apply to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms can obtain pre-1986 weapons, which are known as "transferables." A majority of states have similar rights, recognizing that transfer of possession of pre-1986 federally registered weapons is legal.

Michigan residents had been limited to pre-1977 machine guns while more modern versions of assault weapons, used by military police, had been off-limits because of Kelley's opinion. Critics had said that Kelley's ruling was contrary to the intent of state legislation.

The new attorney general's opinion was formally sought by state Rep. Leon Drolet, a Clinton Township Republican, at Sessa's request. Sessa, founder of Gun Owners of Macomb County, said the previous law made it difficult for him to compete in machine gun target-shooting competitions.

A federally licensed firearms dealer, Sessa said he has been put at a disadvantage in twice-yearly competitions held in Kentucky because of the dated weaponry he was forced to rely upon.

Sessa said the Cox opinion will have limited impact because machine guns cost between $8,000 and $15,000 and the procedure of transferring ownership can take six months to complete.

Link to story (http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/010406/loc_sessa001.shtml)

Divegeek
01-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Well this story wasn't bad, no "blood in the streets" doom and gloom, but I'm sure that it's on its way.......

Rupestris
01-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Does this affect silencers and the ability to own one in MI?
Weren't they also part of the old law/ruling?

Divegeek
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Does this affect silencers and the ability to own one in MI?
Weren't they also part of the old law/ruling?

That part is up in the air. Yes they are covered under the exact same piece of legislation, but they were not specifically mentioned. I know in order to own a sound suppressor one must get ATF approval, but does it use the same exact form (form 4) as is used for a MG? If not it's debatable. Now if we were to ask AG Cox for an opinion on Suppressors I am almost certain that he would rule the same way as he did on the MG's, but until the ATF says ok, I am only hoping we are right.

Rupestris
01-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks DG,
Thats kinda what I thought. Both being items subject to NFA rules.
I can't swing one financially even if they were available but a supressor on a Ruger Mk II with a 6" pac-lite reciever would be a hoot.:mrgreen:

ltdave
01-15-2006, 07:35 PM
twice-yearly competitions held in Kentucky

competition...heh heh heh...THATS funny....

david

goldwing2000
01-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Sure, it's a competition! "Who Can Make The Most Noise"? :biggrin:

biomedtech
03-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Sure, it's a competition! "Who Can Make The Most Noise"? :biggrin:

Seemed more like a Klan Konvention, the three or four times I was there while stationed at Ft Knox...

goldwing2000
03-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Seemed more like a Klan Konvention, the three or four times I was there while stationed at Ft Knox...

Seriously? Hmmm... maybe I won't be going. Definitely won't be taking the girlfriend. :shock:

ANIMAL
03-14-2006, 01:11 PM
What makes you think of a klan convention. White sheets or stars and bars?

White sheets, I can understand that

Stars and bars, Nope. some use it as that but more don't than do. For me its heritage not hate. it also symbolizes ones determination to stand up to a govt that no longer recognizes you.