PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite home defense gun?

Knimrod
01-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Many gun owners keep a gun within easy access in the home to protect themselves from unwelcome home invaders. What's your favorite choice for this purpose and why?

Rolex Dr.
01-11-2006, 12:35 AM
a pump shotgun

even a deaf man knows that sound

seriously a shot gun a older yet working 12ga loaded with buckshot or large birdshot

hell if need be my new 391 will work but swinging the 30" in the living room could cause a problem LOL

bassplayer
01-11-2006, 02:09 AM
I'm gonna have to say a pistol of some sorts. Shorter barrel and easier to manuver. Besides, you want to stop the intruder, not hit the intruder as well as a few neighbors in the line of fire behind him. 8)

Yes a shotgun would do that, but you'd have to saw a lot off to get it the size of a pistol.

Also, a nice AR-15 pistol loaded with JHP would be sweet!

gsbell
01-11-2006, 06:41 AM
Handgun within reach on the nightstand, 12ga within a few steps.

karcent
01-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Besides, you want to stop the intruder, not hit the intruder as well as a few neighbors in the line of fire behind him. 8)

Sorry, but I've got to call BS on that.
You've obviously never patterned a shotgun at 30 feet. I suggest everyone do it just to see what a shotgun really does.

RSF
01-11-2006, 08:21 AM
I use a hndgun for the living room anser the door type gun!

In my bedroom there is the the best home defense weapon one can have
the 223 carbine.

appliancebrad
01-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Different situations call for different methods.

.40 for me and a .380 for Pam in the headboard of our bed. If you get through the locked door, past 80# of German Wirehaired Pointer and down the hall, it's going to be a close quarters. Engage sights, press trigger, repeat.

Front or back door and close house perimeter is the tac 870. It is black, stocked with #4 buck and has a Surefire on it. The sight, the sound all means get the Hell away from here!

Farm protection means the Mini 14 stoked with Winchester Silvertips and topped with a red dot scope. It's ready to rock and roll and stops dogs and 'yotes in their tracks. Do not mess with Pam's livestock.

We also combine any of the above.

bassplayer
01-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Sorry, but I've got to call BS on that.
You've obviously never patterned a shotgun at 30 feet. I suggest everyone do it just to see what a shotgun really does.

My fault, I was referring to a high-powered rifle such as a .308 or .223 using fmj ammo. I thought it, but I guess I didn't type it. :)

RSF
01-11-2006, 03:17 PM
you obviously have never tried a 223 indoors with proper ammo have yah!

Kouger
01-11-2006, 03:19 PM
you obviously have never tried a 223 indoors with proper ammo have yah!

enlighten us

RSF
01-11-2006, 04:27 PM
were do i begin

i have piles of test data and real world shooting reports those of yah that were at the rifle class were we were shooting water jugs chime in here too..

anyhow the 223 loaded with 55-64psp or jhp ammo actually penetrates less than most handgun rounds it exples a lot of its energy and remains there in the first 8-10 inches of the target i choose the 223 16 m-4 carbine for these reasons! ammo capcity, light recoil ( small framed men and woman shooter) faster shot to shot recovery, multiply hit capablity. simple single handed operation , hostage rescue shot in case of home invasion and a loved one is snatched. (it has happened) body armor todays crooks are know to wearit or a item to defet ammo , we have seen yellow pages used, etc........
the 223 offers you all these benfits plus.... more and its in the same size packadge as a hangun! try it place your handgun otu ion your full shootign postion, then mark the distance to teh muzzle now do ti with your m-4 carbine shoulderd pretty close if not to the same length... 223 for me please mine is loaded up with 64 grain psp winchester load

Kouger
01-11-2006, 04:43 PM
thank you

sprink
01-11-2006, 05:49 PM
I voted handgun. It is easiest to keep around. Of course, we all know a hand gun is only used to fight your way to a rifle.:wink:

:assasin:

Flygirl
01-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Well, I would vote for the gun you have handy....I just have a little .38 colt as a bedside gun. But then I picked up a 9mm to practice & play with and now I see, after reading everyone's comments, that I'm going to have to start saving my bottle deposits to get something more "interesting". So this is how it starts....

Ken P
01-14-2006, 08:27 PM
So this is how it starts....

pretty much...I've got 5 different sizes and types of weaponery that I could deploy, but I want at least two more...save all that pocket changein a jar..it really does add up

WhoIsJohnGalt
01-21-2006, 08:30 AM
"......223 for me please mine is loaded up with 64 grain psp winchester load."

.223 75gr Hornady TAP, .40S&W 155gr JHP Triton Hi-Vel or #4 Buck....whatever is handiest.

zcolt45
01-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Pistol and Shotgun for home defense.

Remembering that penetration must be considered, if you value family and friends.

Where will the final resting-place of your projectile be? After you neutralize the bad guy.

Over penetration may be lethal to someone beyond your assailant, within your home or across the street.

Think fast and don’t miss – practice frequently – and shoot at matches - you learn more about - :fa:

Akers60
01-21-2006, 01:26 PM
I would have to go with my pistol which is a glock 21 which is easily within reach. The shotgun I own I keep in a storage case. So if someone broke in I'd rather grab the pistol then rummagin around and trying to pull that beast out.

ANIMAL
01-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Just voted handgun. this is the best for my situation at this time. 35' fifth wheel is my home for now.

Now when we get a regular home a nice short hi cap 12 ga and the 45. I also take the 44 carbine when I had to check out noises outside. Nice and powerful short and holds 10 rounds.