View Full Version : Wisconsin Concealed carry in gov's court

Knimrod
01-19-2006, 12:07 AM
Concealed carry in gov's court
GOP hopes for veto-proof edge
By Todd Richmond
Associated Press
January 18th, 2006

The state Senate approved a Republican bill that would let Wisconsin residents carry concealed weapons, setting up what could be a fierce political clash between the Legislature and Gov. Jim Doyle.

The Senate's 28-5 vote Tuesday sends the bill to Doyle, a Democrat who already has vetoed one version of it and has vowed to veto this one.

"The governor believes people carrying loaded weapons around will make Wisconsin less safe," Doyle spokeswoman Melanie Fonder said.

But Republicans say people should be allowed to fight off criminals.

Wisconsin is one of only four states that bans concealed weapons. National Rifle Association lobbyists working with Republican legislators have been trying make carrying concealed weapons legal here for years.

The latest bill would let state residents who pass firearms training and get permits to carry hidden handguns, knives, billy clubs and electric shock weapons in most public places.

Republicans have pledged to override the governor's veto.

Sen. Dave Zien, R-Eau Claire, one of the bill's main sponsors, said Republicans have the votes.

"We've done our homework," Zien said. "There's momentum. A great majority of the people in this state think they should have the right to defend themselves."

A veto override takes 22 votes in the Senate and 66 in the Assembly. Republicans control the Senate 19-14 and the Assembly 60-39.

The Senate voted 23-10 to pass an initial version of the bill in December. That would suggest Senate Republicans have enough votes to override a veto.

The Assembly changed the bill days later to attract more Democratic support. Republicans added tighter restrictions on carrying concealed weapons while drinking and in school zones where, concealed weapons still would be banned. The Assembly passed that version 64-32 and sent it back to the Senate for Tuesday's vote because both chambers must pass identical versions of a bill before the governor can consider it.

Nine Senate Democrats sided with Republicans in Tuesday's vote. Senate Minority Leader Judy Robson of Beloit said the question was whether the Senate agreed with the changes the Assembly made. Several Democrats thought that made the bill more restrictive and voted for the amended version, even though they still oppose the bill.

Republicans think they can pick up two more votes in the Assembly to override a veto. One Republican was absent during the December vote in that house, and a then-vacant seat now is held by a Republican. Those votes would give the Assembly what it needs to override a veto.

Doyle vetoed similar concealed carry legislation in 2003. The Senate overrode the veto, but the Assembly fell one vote short. Fonder said the governor is sure his veto will stand this time around, too. She declined to elaborate.

Zien said he expected Doyle to pressure Democrats to stand by him.

"Right now we got the votes for an override," Zien said.

Link to story (http://www.madison.com/tct/news/index.php?ntid=69246&ntpid=6)

appliancebrad
01-19-2006, 08:43 AM
It looks like a go this time. Doyle will veto and the legislature will override like they did in Missouri. One more state will have Shall Issue and the opponents claims of blood in the street will be proven false.

I was amazed that they added the 100' of a school provision back in and made no allowance for parents dropping off or picking up their children. Ohio is busy at fixing that problem right now. Every morning i drop my kids off while carrying and it would be a PITA if I couldn't. The driveway up to their school is about 4/10th mile and the kids would have to hoof it if I couldn't drop them at the door.