PDA

View Full Version : TC Impact performance

GregK
05-25-2011, 04:21 PM
I had started this post before n the wrong forum ( sorry about that ) & I'm now moving it here. There isn't a smokepole forum anymore, so maybe we can share some info here.

I started at 50 yards after boresighting & just shot groups. I had intended to move out to 100 yards after, but because of where I hunt & my eyes getting some age to them, I am doing 75 yards instead. (NO 75 YARD TARGETS AT CLUB....HAD TO GO WITH 100 YDS INSTEAD)

The gun: TC Impact Weathershield 50cal, Game Reaper one piece mount, Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 scope.

In the first 2 pics, the pic on the left were from L to R top & then bottom; Speer Deep Curl 44 cal soft point & green crush rib sabot, Barnes TMZ 290 grain with supplied sabot, Win. Platinum tip 260 grain & Harvester black Crush Rib, Speer Deep Curl 454 hollow point & a Harvester black crush rib, bottom row...Barnes TMZ 250 grain with supplied sabot, & Harvester PT Gold 300 gain with black crush rib sabot ( 2 bullets in the top hole with these) All were shot with 90 grains of BH 209, using a TC U-view loader & Federal 209A primers. The Barnes 290's won this grouping with the Speer 454's a very close second. Everything loaded easily, but the Barnes blue easy load sabots were the easiest. That surprised me. The pic on the right, only the far right target was used for my muzzleloader. This was with Barnes MZ 250 grain & a black Crush rib, also 90 grains BH 209.

Any of these would have easily killed a deer at 50 yards. I've never had a gun that liked so many different bullets! Hornady's are next. SST-ML 250 & 300 grains, XTP 240's, FTX 45 cal 225 grain, FTX 458 325 grain, FPB sabotless (full bore) 325 grain, & TC Sure Fire 230 hollow point.

Pics from 75 yards coming soon :)

3rdcoach
05-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Not shabby at all. What is the load?

GregK
05-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Not shabby at all. What is the load?

They are all posted above & it was 7 different brands & weights of bullets & sabot combinations, but all of these were shot with 90 grains of BH209.

Below is my Impact ( the gun on top ) with a new Spin Jag Gi ramrod & spinjag....GREAT addition! I'll post on my Savage 20 later :)

2nd pic...Some bullets I'll be shooting, all Hornady. L to R FTX 45 cal 225 grain, SST-ML 250, SST-ML 300, & FTX 458 cal 325 grain.
3rd pic...TC surefire 230 grain, TC Mag Express XTP 240, & TC Copper Crusher ( appear to be Barnes flat base)
Last 2 pics are the 350 grain FPB (sabotless full bore) shot with 110 grains BH 209 & dug out of the tree 20 yards behind the target. These things really load easily in my Impact which again surprised me & with expansion & terminal performance anywhere between 800 & 2000+fps, this may be my hunting load.

GregK
05-25-2011, 09:12 PM
A few more groups & again, I haven't actually sighted the gun yet, just looking for groupings at this point. The XTP's at 1/2" & 2 thru one hole were the best so far. The TC Sure Fire, the Speer 454 Deep Curl HP were right at 1 inch ( but the reason there are 4 shots on that one is because the top hole was a flinch ) with the full bore Hornady FPB's just over an inch.

GregK
05-29-2011, 06:42 AM
Shot a few more. Top left...The TC Mag Express are Hornady XTP Mag 45 cal 240 grain in a Crush Rib sabot, top right... the Speer 44 cal, 270 grain Deep Curl soft point, pushed by 85 grains of BH209, (these cloverleaf out of my other Impact), & last Fusion .452, 260 grain with the enclosed orange crush rib sabot & 85 grains of BH209.

I'm still working on loads for Hornady's 45 cal, .458 325 grain FTX, XTP 45 cal Mag 300 grain, & 350 grain full bore FPB. I've also ordered some .475 crush rib sabots to see if I can get those 325 grain FTX's down the barrel a bit easier. It takes all I've got to get them down the bore of my Impact & wouldn't want that in a hunting situation.

GregK
05-29-2011, 07:40 PM
3 shot group, 75 yards, 300 grain SST-ML, 90 grains BH209. I made an adjustment, then flinched on the first shot, before grouping the next 2. I didn't adjust any further due to the fact that I haven't picked my hgunting bullet, but I am getting closer.

The SST-ML 250 & 300's are in the final running as well as the Deep Curl 270 grain, Fusion 260 grain, & the XTP 240. I'm still working up loads for the XTP 300 grain mag, .458 diameter FTX, & the .503 full bore FPB.

Some of the bullets I've played with so far; 45 cal 225gr FTX, 45 cal 230gr TC Surefire, 45 cal 240gr mag XTP, 250gr Barnes MZ, 250gr SST-ML, 250gr Barnes T-MZ, 250gr Barnes T-EZ, 260gr Win Platinum Tip, 260gr Fusion, 270gr Speer Deep Curl SP, 290gr Barnes T-MZ, 300gr 454 Speer Deep Curl HP, 300gr mag XTP, 300gr SST-ML, 325gr .458 FTX, & 350gr FPB

GregK
05-29-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm having so much fun doing this that I even brought my trusty old Knight MK95 Magnum Elite out of retirement, poured 105gr of BH209 down the barrel & then the big 325gr FTX. It's another gun to clean, but isn't that half of the fun? :upto:

GregK
06-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Finally had some decent weather & got my membership at the Paw Paw Conversation Club, so I took advantage.

I had wanted to test the big .458 diameter 325 grain Hornady FTX in my Impact, but after getting one down the barrel almost gave me a hernia, I decided to try it in my old Knight MK95. I loaded it it a Harvester crush rib sabot & seated it very firmly on top of 110 grains of BH209. The result was a 100 yard, 1 inch, 3 shot group....& a sore shoulder. This is a great load in this gun & loads very firmly, but easily enough to hunt with.

The Knight was put away & the Impact was brought back out. 90 grains of BH209, a black .451 crush rib sabot, & a new bullet.....Swift's excellent quality 265 grain A-Frame. The 100 yard group was 1 1/8" due to my flinching on the first shot. I could have easily cut that in half, if I had done my part, lol.

I also picked up some 300 grain Nosler Partition & have some Lehigh 250 grain on order, so there will be more to follow :D

rugersingleshot
06-16-2011, 05:20 AM
Wow

Toledo Kid
06-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Very Nice Review!!!
But nothing from the normal from my experience with TC Black Powder Rifles.
My Encore 50 has done this or better type of performance from day one and I have had it for about 15yrs now. The magic believe or not is in the grain of powder loaded. Find the sweet spot which is between 90-110grs and your good to go!!!
TC makes some good stuff!!!

Thanks for sharing!!! :thumbup:

GregK
06-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Very Nice Review!!!
But nothing from the normal from my experience with TC Black Powder Rifles.
My Encore 50 has done this or better type of performance from day one and I have had it for about 15yrs now. The magic believe or not is in the grain of powder loaded. Find the sweet spot which is between 90-110grs and your good to go!!!
TC makes some good stuff!!!

Thanks for sharing!!! :thumbup:

You are very welcome & I am having a ball doing this. :mg:
I actually like my 2 Impacts better than I liked my Encore. The reasons are small but enough to matter to me. The trigger on my Encore is horrible....lots of take up & creep, not to mention about a 7lb pull. The other was that there are so many sharp angles on the Encore it was always snagging my coat as I raised it. Just picky things, I know & still I was able to shoot it. I won't shoot over 100 yards & try to stay under 75. My loads of BH209 will range from 70 to 100 grains.

GregK
06-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Worked with dads Impact today. He wanted his sighted in at 50 yards. I started with Hornady 45 cal 225 grain FTX bullets & 80 grains of BH209, they shot very well. Then I switched to the Fusion 260 grain, again with 80 grains of BH209 & they were impressive. I think this will be dad's hunting load. It loads really nice with the orange crush rib sabot & that is critical for him. Ooops....I made a mistake. I didn't take a photo of the FTX group, but it was very good. The left target is a 3 shot group using Speer Gold Dot 44 cal JHP in a green Hornady sabot & 80 grains of powder. The target on the right is actually 4 shots, with 3 in the center & one for proof of what "jerking" the trigger will do for me, LOL

I recovered a Swift A-Frame 265 grain from my Impact's test firing & really liked what I saw. Mushroomed the way a bullet should be, but still held together. I shot it with 90 grains thru the target & into wet sand & dirt. I'm really leaning hard towards this as my hunting load.

Toledo Kid
06-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Worked with dads Impact today. He wanted his sighted in at 50 yards. I started with Hornady 45 cal 225 grain FTX bullets & 80 grains of BH209, they shot very well. Then I switched to the Fusion 260 grain, again with 80 grains of BH209 & they were impressive. I think this will be dad's hunting load. It loads really nice with the orange crush rib sabot & that is critical for him.

I recovered a Swift A-Frame 265 grain from my Impact's test firing & really liked what I saw. Mushroomed the way a bullet should be, but still held together. I shot it with 90 grains thru the target & into wet sand & dirt. I'm really leaning hard towards this as my hunting load.Very Nice...Ever hunted with it yet?? Taken anything??

GregK
06-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Very Nice...Ever hunted with it yet?? Taken anything??

I bought the blued model just before last muzzleloading season but I never got an opportunity at a good buck, then I gave that one to my dad & bought another in weathershield for myself, so this one hasn't even seen the woods yet. They are very user friendly & fun to shoot :) I still own an old Knight, have had an Encore, & 2 CVA's. I also have a Hawken 50. One of the things that I like the most about the Impact is the combination of the lighter weight & balance. I also took off the Aetec scope as it was just too big for the gun & installed a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 accurange with a one piece Game Reaper mount.....EXCELLENT setup!

The bullets that we are using this year are new for us & I am excited to see what will happen to a deer upon impact. I am familiar with the terrific performance of the A-frame bullets & the fact that they do what a bullet is supposed to do & the Fusion is supposed to be derived from the Speer Deep Curl bullets which are also a tough bonded bullet, so hopefully we'll have some good reports this fall:thumbup:

Toledo Kid
06-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Well I can tell ya that those 300gr XTP w/ 100 Pyro light packed drops deer like a freight train hit em 100yds and in. Only other rifles I have seen do that are my Sako's one in 300 mag and other in 30-378 Weatherby.

Amazing rifles...fun too!!! :biggrin:

Looks like you have got it dialed in!!!

GregK
06-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Well I can tell ya that those 300gr XTP w/ 100 Pyro light packed drops deer like a freight train hit em 100yds and in. Only other rifles I have seen do that are my Sako's one in 300 mag and other in 30-378 Weatherby.

Amazing rifles...fun too!!! :biggrin:

Looks like you have got it dialed in!!!

I am getting there, LOL! I have a box 0f XTP 45 Mag 300 grain bullets & a box of the 240's as well & they are also tack drivers. I don't have any XTP experience, but I also have them loaded for my Ruger SBY 44 mag pistol. Are you using the "mag" bullet or the standard? I am hoping for the chance to use a few different bullets on game. I will say that across the board all of the Hornady bullets that I have shot have been the most consistently accurate & the includes the SST-ML 250 & 300's. You hear stories about poor performance, but I like to see for myself.

Today I also received an order of Lehigh brass bullets, 250 grain hollow points & they recommend 110 to 120 grains of BH 209 for proper expansion. I also got some Swift 50 cal 220 grain hollow point A-frames. There is always room to play with more bullets :)

I'm putting up a pic of the bullets. L to R.....Swift 220 grain A-Frame, Swift 265 grain A-Frame, & the Lehigh 250 grain.

GregK
06-27-2011, 02:34 PM
FINALLY!!! My shoulder is better & the weather was great too, so I had to shoot :)

It went from sunny, to cloudy, to windy (over 20mph) & rainy, but since the benches are covered by a big canopy, I decided to stay. I am glad that I did because I saw a few things that impressed me.

First....at 100 yards with the same 90 grain charge of BH209 & a black CR sabot, the 45 cal 220gr Swift A-Frame hit in the same place as the 265gr A-Frame.

Second the lightweight bullet stayed accurate in the 20+ mph winds.

And, third....the Hornady 45cal 240 grain XTP once again proved it's incredible accuracy in my gun by turning in a 3/8" three shot group at 100 yards. Even though the winds had dropped to 8 mph, that's incredible shooting for me!!!

Today, I found that the Swift A-Frames, Nosler 300 grain Partition HG, XTP 200's & 240's, XTP mag 300's & SST-ML250's all groped more than good enough at 100 yards to kill a deer. The 200's were pushed in a CR sabot by 70 grains of BH209. It was the most fun to shoot, due to the almost nonexistent recoil. A great load for young or recoil sensitive shooters. The rest were 90 grains & CR sabots except for the SST which was in it's own red sabot. They are also all 45 caliber.

The lone 44cal was the Speer deep curl 270gr in a green Hornady sabot & a 4 shot group at 100 yards....again a very deadly group.

GregK
06-28-2011, 06:37 AM
I apparently forgot to take a pic of the Nosler grouping....sorry & I am still working on a load for the Lehigh's. You'll also noticed that in the lower right hand corner of the multi group target is one 300gr SST-Ml hole. The wind & the rain got really bad, so I quit after one shot. Stay tuned......more to come :hoppinhappy:

GregK
06-29-2011, 07:15 PM
I managed a little more play time today. I shot the 45 cal Hornady XTP 200 grain bullets with 80 grains of BH209 & a black CR sabot. I dug 2 out of the trap. Very good expansion on both & 1 total core separation on the XTP. I don't call it a failure because it wasn't. If it had been a deer the core would have continued on depositing all of its energy inside of the animal as well as creating another wound channel. I personally like a bullet that causes massive internal damage, but doesn't exit, allowing every bit of the bullets energy to drop the animal quickly, if not right on the spot.

Now if you look at the bullet on the right, you will see perfect expansion. That is a Nosler Partition HG 300 grain bullet pushed by 100 grains of BH209. It will typically break any bone it hits, continue on making a large internal wound channel, & then most likely...exit. The Swift A-Frame works the same way. I would be confident shooting a deer with either of the bullets pictured here.

I am currently in the process of finding which bullets I can shoot from my Impact at 100 yards without adjusting the scope. So far it's the XTP 200 & 240, the Swift 220 & 265, & the Nosler 300.

GregK
07-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Drove to the range today only to realize that I had forgotten my rifle rest! I just picked up some Barnes 200 grain .451 XPB bullets & wanted to give them a good test, but instead all I could do was lean over the bench & try to free hand a few rounds at 100 yards. For me, I must say that I was impressed. I shanked the first shot, but then settled down a little on the next four. I think I am going to like this bullet & I am hoping to have final results for it tomorrow. It certainly expands nicely & that was in dirt. One side hit a rock & that stopped the peel back, but that is typical of any bullet that hits a rock. I used 90 grains again & black CR sabots of course!

GregK
07-06-2011, 04:47 PM
As of now, I have narrowed the bullet list down. Theses are all good deer bullets & I want to use them all, LOL.

Barnes XPB .451 200 grain
Swift A-Frame .451 220 grain (no longer made)
Hornady XTP (from TC mag Express) 240 grain
Swift A-Frame .451 265 grain
Speer Deep Curl .429 270 grain
Hornady XTP Mag .451 300 grain
Nosler Partition HG .451 300 grain (no longer made)

The 240 XTP that comes in the TC Mag Express packages appear to be a 45 cal bullet, but not available in bulk packs. They only offer the "Mag" series in bulk according to Hornady, so I may try them, or just load up on the Mag Express & toss their sabots aside.

GregK
07-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Narrowed down bullet choices

Toledo Kid
07-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Now its just a matter of cost seems like.
Good write up Greg!!!

snapper8081
07-07-2011, 07:30 AM
great write up. I've been very interested in the Impact give the price point. Thanks for the very valuable info on this weapon.

GregK
07-07-2011, 03:13 PM
great write up. I've been very interested in the Impact give the price point. Thanks for the very valuable info on this weapon.

You are very welcome. I loved mine so much that I gave it to my dad & bought a second one. The 2-7x33 Redfield Revolution is an excellent scope for the gun as well as the "high" mount one piece DNZ Game Reaper mount. You'll need it to give you enough room to cock to the stub type hammer. I have fond that I can d it with gloves on using my thumb or my index finger.

They are great shooters, well balanced, & well designed.

GregK
07-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Now its just a matter of cost seems like.
Good write up Greg!!!

I went out today & played with the XTP 45 Mag 300 grain bullets, Crush Rib sabots, & 100 grains of BH209. I was very impressed to say the least & I'm gonna start the hunting season with these. The cost per shot is by far the best & all of these components are available at any gun shop.

GregK
07-07-2011, 03:26 PM
300 grain XTP, 100 grains of BH 209. 50 & 100 yards. Harvester Crush Rib sabots

I haven't got a chronograph yet, but according to the BH 209 specs this should be getting out of the barrel between 1850 & 1950 fps.

GregK
07-08-2011, 09:42 PM
OK....the 300 grain XTP's shot so well that I decided to go back & try the Nosler Partition HG 300 grain bullets with the same CR sabots & 100 grains of BH209.

The first 2 shots measures 3/16ths of an inch! I know the third would have been there as well if I had noticed that the left rear leg of my rifle rest had slipped backwards & off of the shooting bench causing a high left shot.

Now.....which bullet to hunt with?

Toledo Kid
07-09-2011, 03:41 AM
I think it is up to you. either will work. :biggrin:

GregK
07-09-2011, 07:11 AM
I think it is up to you. either will work. :biggrin:

I agree. I did have one core separation of the XTP, but unlike most people, I don't mind that. It just causes more internal damage inside of a deer, not to mention the fact that if the bullet doesn't exit, all of the energy stays in the deer.

The other consideration is that Nosler no longer makes the Partition HG :( & even though I have found a few boxes, they still run about 40 bucks per box after being marked down as leftover stock. I may just save them for hunting in bear country or if I'm fortunate enough to go Elk hunting.

GregK
07-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Since it's been too hot to shoot & enjoy it, I thought that I would share my customer service experience from the bullet manufacturers.

#1 Swift...Responded the fastest & by phone. They spent all the time that I wanted discussing bullet performance & we even got into sharing info about our muzzleloaders. They were fun & very very informative.

#2 Nosler...also fast response, but not nearly as fun to talk with as Swift. However, they were friendly & informative & had all the info that I needed.

#3 Barnes...They responded by email & it took a few days. They may just get buried in emails & for that reason, I understand & when I had a question about their response, they responded much more qickly.

#4...Hornady. All email responses & the ones that I got a response to answered most of my questions. They did not respond to 2 of my questions & that fact earned them the bottom spot.

Does this really matter? Not too much for me. I will still use product from each of these companies & have faith in their products.

GregK
08-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Guess what? Yep you're right. I found another bullet that I MUST try. .475 cal XTP 325 grain. Results to follow soon :)

Toledo Kid
08-03-2011, 01:22 AM
You know if you can stand this heat. It would be interesting what it does to the flight paths or grouping between NOW in the 90* compared to when it is about 30* out with you best shot grouped bullets.

GregK
08-03-2011, 12:51 PM
You know if you can stand this heat. It would be interesting what it does to the flight paths or grouping between NOW in the 90* compared to when it is about 30* out with you best shot grouped bullets.

In my past experiences, if I have found a bullet that shoots really good in warm/hot weather, it has always performed just as well in extreme cold and I always shoot thru the summer for practice & double check as weather gets cold. Also, I try to shoot early in the morning to avoid as much of that heat as possible! I hate to admit it, but I'm having so much fun with smokepoles that I may not even take my Savage 220 out, LOL

GregK
08-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Got out this morning for an hour while it was still nice out & shot the 325 grain XTP & the FPB 300 grain. Both with 100 grains of BH209. The first 3 XTP's were in kind of a horizontal string, so I switched sabots to Harvester's EZ Load blue 475's & fired 2 more shots. Pretty much centered & a little low, but a lot tighter group. The sabots look identical to the TC sabots that come with the Big Shots, so I am going to call Harvester & see if they are. I need to find out if it was the sabots or me?

The 3 shot group was the FPB's & calling it awful wouldn't describe it. I gave up on those & won't even mess with them again. I will be playing with the big XTP's more though.

GregK
08-20-2011, 07:28 AM
I just picked this up on a whim. It is built incredibly solid & there are soooo many things that I love about this gun! It's a CV Apex 50 caliber. I started testing yesterday & ran into a huge problem right away. Hangfires & No-fires. Upon calling CVA I was informed that I had to buy an optional breechplug to use BH209 powder..........(It's also for any other loose powders...they want their customers to shoot IMR White Hot pellets)......... I have to say, that really made me mad! Who is CVA to tell us what type of powder to shoot? Shouldn't the consumer decide that? Why wasn't it included with the gun? The gun has a lifetime warranty & won't fire BH209? To me that is a warranty issue.....send me a FREE fricken breechplug.....the one that should have come with the gun!!

After NO SATISFACTION on the phone with the company who's slogan is "We're here for you" I emailed CEO Dudley McGarity & after telling him what I thought ( & I appreciate him letting me vent ) he said, send us the original breechplug & we'll send you the BH209 plug free. I can live wit that, but how many other shooters/purchasers of this rifle are going to face the same thing? Dudley says it would cost an additional $15 to the customer if they included it & that only 10% of shooters use BH209 & apparently other loose powders too. I don't buy that at all.

Anyway, I will have a new plug next week.....I hope & then I will post some info on this one as well. Not dumping my TC's......LOVE ' EM!! Just really like the looks feel, & overall quality of this new Apex.

GregK
08-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Almost forgot a pic of my new Apex rifle :crazy:

Toledo Kid
11-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Post up some pics on any deer you get with the smoke pole this year and what load you have used to get it!!! :cheers:
I want to see the performance!!!

GregK
11-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Post up some pics on any deer you get with the smoke pole this year and what load you have used to get it!!! :cheers:
I want to see the performance!!!

You can count on it! The deer herd has really been thinned out, but I'll be giving it my all :)

Toledo Kid
11-14-2011, 07:57 AM
You can count on it! The deer herd has really been thinned out, but I'll be giving it my all :)
Dont think I am going out this year up north and there is no where to hunt around Monroe County where I live. Sucks too, this morning dropping the kid off I seen a nice 8 point in a stubble field about 15 mins ago that would be reachable with that Encore.

GregK
11-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Dont think I am going out this year up north and there is no where to hunt around Monroe County where I live. Sucks too, this morning dropping the kid off I seen a nice 8 point in a stubble field about 15 mins ago that would be reachable with that Encore.

That's a shame. Hope you can get out somewhere! We've lost a ton of deer to the EHD this year. Seems Van Buren & Cass counties got hit exceptionally hard.

AdamFZ6
11-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Greg, thanks for the information on this rifle. Your review made me pick one up yesterday as my first muzzleloader.

I probably won't get out to sight it in for a few days, but it looks to be a fine gun for being only $220. I got the Dunhams combo that came with a starter kit and Thompson/Center scope for $300, and with powder, primer, and some 240g XTP's the total came out to $375 after tax.

For being a cheap scope the image is nice and clear, it just needs higher mounts as the ones Thompson supplies hamper clearance to the hammer a bit with gloves on. I will probably pick up DNZ mounts as I have them on my 30/30 and they seem very well built.

GregK
11-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Greg, thanks for the information on this rifle. Your review made me pick one up yesterday as my first muzzleloader.

I probably won't get out to sight it in for a few days, but it looks to be a fine gun for being only $220. I got the Dunhams combo that came with a starter kit and Thompson/Center scope for $300, and with powder, primer, and some 240g XTP's the total came out to $375 after tax.

For being a cheap scope the image is nice and clear, it just needs higher mounts as the ones Thompson supplies hamper clearance to the hammer a bit with gloves on. I will probably pick up DNZ mounts as I have them on my 30/30 and they seem very well built.

Glad I could help. I love my Impacts. They are un-beatable for the price & blow away a lot of the competitions high end guns! I have the high mount DNZ with a Redfield Revolution Accu-range 2-7x33 scope & the clearance is perfect. It is a fantastic combination. Enjoy & if I can help in any way just yell!

AdamFZ6
12-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Just wanted to give an update. I got mine out for the first time and it shoots great. The most accurate rifle I own so far, about the same recoil as my 30/30.

I loaded with 100gr of triple 7 pellets and the bullets supplied with the gun, they have a yellow plastic tip on them. Haven't had a chance to try out the 240gr XTP's yet.

I didn't have time to set up a shooting bench, but at about 60 yards shot a 2" group offhand, and I am not what anyone would call an expert marksman. It sure is interesting to see a big cloud of smoke in your scope view for 3 or so seconds after each shot.

Loaded easily, cleaned easily, and shot well. Not much more to say.

GregK
12-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Just wanted to give an update. I got mine out for the first time and it shoots great. The most accurate rifle I own so far, about the same recoil as my 30/30.

I loaded with 100gr of triple 7 pellets and the bullets supplied with the gun, they have a yellow plastic tip on them. Haven't had a chance to try out the 240gr XTP's yet.

I didn't have time to set up a shooting bench, but at about 60 yards shot a 2" group offhand, and I am not what anyone would call an expert marksman. It sure is interesting to see a big cloud of smoke in your scope view for 3 or so seconds after each shot.

Loaded easily, cleaned easily, and shot well. Not much more to say.

Adam....I am thrilled that you like the gun & that it's accurate for you. Mine are both tack drivers & I love the small amount invested to get that accuracy :)

Next season, try using 90 to 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder, CCI 209 Magnum primers, & your favorite bullet. You will increase velocity & energy & here's the best part....no cleaning between shots & cleans with standard gun cleaning solvents. I am using a product called Super Quick Clean Guns....fantastic stuff & made in Grand Rapids.

Also, BH209 does not absorb water. Max load is 120 grains, & I have been told that a 100 grain charge is equivalent to a 150 grain charge of T7 pellets.

Also, if your yellow tipped bullet is in a sabot, it's prolly a TC Shockwave, if it has an attached skirt it's a power belt. The shockwaves are the same as the Hornady SST-ML bullets.

I hope that you have a great & successful muzzleloading experience. Keep me posted.

AdamFZ6
12-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Greg, thanks for the advice. I just thought I would get some basic supplies to get the year started and maybe get it out a couple times for ML season.

I will try out your suggestions after hunting season as the T7 does seem to be quite dirty. I am using Remington Cleanbore ML primers, but will try out the CCI's next time.

The supplied bullets are in a sabot, so I suspect that they are the TC Shockwaves.

Saw 13 does/button bucks and 22 turkeys the other morning before the last cold front moved in on Wednesday, hopefully some bucks will get moving and I can test this thing out. That was more deer than I have seen all year so far. Otherwise I'll have to get the bow back out and at least get some venison for the year.

GregK
12-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Good luck Adam & of course....keep me posted. If you have any questions at any point, don't hesitate to ask.