PDA

View Full Version : Plug-in trail cameras?

johnzilla
06-02-2011, 12:55 PM
I'd like to use some trail cameras as security cameras around some property. I know that there are cameras made specifically for security but I like the features that come with a trail camera: built-in infrared, camo, strong protective weatherproof case, etc. And it seems like there isn't much difference in price between higher quality security cameras and trail cameras.

Outdoor electric is available to the locations where I would put the cameras.

Does anyone know of a trail camera that can be plugged in to a standard 120v outlet?

Or, has anyone modified a battery-operated camera to use 120v household current instead?

I haven't found anything in several google searches so I thought I would post here.

Converting to solar might be possible but then that takes away from camo and I would still need one or more batteries and probably some sort of inverter per camera.

miked
06-02-2011, 01:01 PM
I've not seen an electric one but It shouldn't be to hard to wire it to use a generic dc converter as long as you match the voltage the the batteries provided.

jmanz6
06-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Yep, either a generic DC converter or solar with one of those trickle charger solar panels. The DC converter would be easiest and cheapest. Just match the voltage and be sure it provides enough current for the camera and you are good to go.

johnzilla
06-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Makes sense. Thanks, guys! :thumbup:

wadevb1
06-04-2011, 01:34 PM
My reconyx IR camera had ten lithium AA batteries installed last November. Camera hung all winter, snapped 15K pics and only used 2% juice.

Panels aren't too covert.

Even in the bear box this camera is small

http://usera.ImageCave.com/wadevb1/reconx.jpg

mikethepike
06-06-2011, 12:25 PM
My reconyx IR camera had ten lithium AA batteries installed last November. Camera hung all winter, snapped 15K pics and only used 2% juice.

Panels aren't too covert.

Even in the bear box this camera is small

http://usera.ImageCave.com/wadevb1/reconx.jpg

How much are those?

wadevb1
06-13-2011, 12:29 PM
$450ish...

I have two cuddie IR and a higher end StealthCam...Nothing compares to this unit.