PDA

View Full Version : Can You Recommend A Game Feeder

MichiganShootist
06-02-2011, 01:28 PM
If the DNRE changes the rules on recreational deer feeding and baiting as expected I want to buy a couple battery/solar powered feeds to dispense corn and or protein pellets.

I started looking on line and believe it or not they run from $85 to nearly $400.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced reliable tripod mounted unit ?????

Thanks

Mark

BTW those who want to comment on the pros and cons of deer feeding and baiting can start their own thread.

UpNorthWOLF
06-04-2011, 07:02 AM
I have one I bought from Sportsmen's Guide that I used to throw corn year-round for the critters (except after the bears tore it to bleep one spring I put it away during that time period). We would watch the deer, turkey, etc. wander in to the back yard to eat (my dumb boxer never seemed to learn that porcupines are not for tasting). Anyway, I took it down when the rule changed. I'd love to be able to put it back up. They are not complex machines, so most should be pretty good.

costanza
06-04-2011, 10:54 PM
I have one I bought from Sportsmen's Guide that I used to throw corn year-round for the critters (except after the bears tore it to bleep one spring I put it away during that time period). We would watch the deer, turkey, etc. wander in to the back yard to eat (my dumb boxer never seemed to learn that porcupines are not for tasting). Anyway, I took it down when the rule changed. I'd love to be able to put it back up. They are not complex machines, so most should be pretty good.
Michigan Shootist:
UpNorthWolf hit it right on the head. The Sportsman's Guide has the best deal on feeders around...about $40 or so, depending on the timing of their sales and shipping charges. The ones I've had are NOT tripod setups-those seem to cost about double the price of a hanging unit. I've had two feeders stolen from different, very reomote areas(or so I thought) on our land on Drummond Island. They will attract two-legged predators too! On their lowest feed setting, spreading feed twice a day, they will last about two weeks without refilling. The 6-volt batteries seem to last a long time. A rope and a pulley work well to allow easy lowering for refilling. I used a light chain as a backup in case the branch or rope broke. SG has a collapsing feeder for a cheaper price too. Give them a look.
Regards,
Costanza

CoonDog
06-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Is this the one?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/american-hunter-50-lb-hanging-feeder.aspx?a=272788

costanza
06-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Yes, that is the one I had-two different times...Good value, but remember, when filledwith corn, it is VERY hard to get into a tree without a pulley or two. It's weight can also break 3 inch diameter limbs with monotonious regularity.

Stuffed Shirt
06-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Isn't recreational feeding limited to hand cast food only?