PDA

View Full Version : Switching out Mechanical to Electronic Lock on Liberty Safe?

steve126a
06-02-2011, 06:49 PM
I just picked up a Liberty Centurion 22 gun safe and I have been thinking about the idea of switching out the mechanical lock for an electronic lock. After messing with the mechanical lock, it's just TOO SLOW to unlock. Liberty sells the electronic keypad locks as an upgrade, but they recommend a certified locksmith to install them? Has anyone ever done this? Any idea what it would cost for a locksmith to install this lock?

I have a pistol next to the bed in one of the drawer-style keypad vaults, but if I ever need to fight my way to something bigger, I don't want to spend 30 seconds trying to dial a combo under pressure.

Buzzcat
06-02-2011, 07:30 PM
I have a pistol next to the bed in one of the drawer-style keypad vaults, but if I ever need to fight my way to something bigger, I don't want to spend 30 seconds trying to dial a combo under pressure.

IMO, electric isn't your solution. I really don't like the concept of electrical safe locks.

Batteries, wires, keypads and the electrical computer "brains" that store the combo all have failure rates and can go kerflooey at any time. Mechanical gears don't.

You should just do what a million other people do... dial in the first two numbers of the combo, and leave it be.. then if the SHTF, you just have to dial the last number when you need to get in. Takes about four seconds under stress.

TangoDown3727
06-02-2011, 08:13 PM
IMO, electric isn't your solution. I really don't like the concept of electrical safe locks.

Batteries, wires, keypads and the electrical computer "brains" that store the combo all have failure rates and can go kerflooey at any time. Mechanical gears don't.

You should just do what a million other people do... dial in the first two numbers of the combo, and leave it be.. then if the SHTF, you just have to dial the last number when you need to get in. Takes about four seconds under stress.

Good idea... or you could just keep the master key hung around your neck 24/7, like dog tags, for when the SHTF. :wink:

steve126a
06-02-2011, 08:40 PM
I like the idea of the first two numbers. I might just try that.

I was excited when I got the safe that it came with two keys. I thought the keys were a mechanical lock "override". I was simply going to hide a key and use it if I needed to get into the safe quickly. Unfortunately I realized that the key just locks the dial from being spun.

kevins_garage
07-07-2011, 03:47 PM
...if I ever need to fight my way to something bigger, I don't want to spend 30 seconds trying to dial a combo under pressure.
It shouldn't take you more than 5-10 seconds to run the numbers on a dial. If it is taking you 30 seconds, you are doing something wrong or simply need more practice...(or are exaggerating, I suppose).

As far as the electronic keypad goes, ask any reputable safe tech what the most common service call they make is and then decide if you still want that electronic keypad...

I'm not sure dialing in a partial combo is great advice either. If the lock gets moved and you aren't aware, the safe may not open when you expect and you will be forced to re-dial the entire combo and waste more time than if you just practiced dialing the entire combo each and every time you open it.

steve126a
07-07-2011, 05:05 PM
My dial takes a good 10-15 seconds to dial quickly. Even then, I have to slow down when I approach a number because it is very easy to go past it. I like the mechanical lock for durability, but an electronic lock for simplicity.

I just wish my mechanical lock had a key override, that way if I am ever under pressure, I can just use a key and be done with it.

Buzzcat
07-07-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure dialing in a partial combo is great advice either. If the lock gets moved and you aren't aware, the safe may not open when you expect and you will be forced to re-dial the entire combo and waste more time than if you just practiced dialing the entire combo each and every time you open it.

Very good point. A small piece of Gorilla tape across a small section of the dial edge and door will anchor it down and keep it from moving casually or accidentally... but it also acts as a tell-tale. IOW, if I found the tape was compromised, I'd start asking who in the hell is *****g with the gun safe.

Like everything else, you gotta check up on things once in a while to make sure they're up to snuff and ready to go. It's never a "set it and forget it" kinda thing.

johnzilla
07-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Don't switch to electronic IMHO. There's a whole different can of worms with electronic locks. I agree with the other posters...just practice. I've never timed myself on my Liberty but I don't think getting in quickly would be an issue.

I don't even use the keys to lock the dial...don't see the point. I remember when they delivered the safe, the guy showed me once how to dial the combination and mentioned that in his opinion it was better to keep the dial free. Not only for a pressure situation, but also for casual curiosity. Someone walks up and starts spinning the dial, they "try" to unlock it, eventually get bored and then leave. Locking the dial probably makes them more curious or more frustrated which means more effort trying to get in and then its only a short step to a broken dial.

kevins_garage
07-08-2011, 08:35 AM
My dial takes a good 10-15 seconds to dial quickly. Even then, I have to slow down when I approach a number because it is very easy to go past it. I like the mechanical lock for durability, but an electronic lock for simplicity.

I just wish my mechanical lock had a key override, that way if I am ever under pressure, I can just use a key and be done with it.
With practice, you should be able to do at or under 10 seconds pretty easily and consistently. If the combo is odd or otherwise troublesome for you, you may want to contact Liberty or S&G and look into getting it changed - or changing it yourself. Instructions are on the S&G website for all of their locksets.

If you have the CN20, I can tell you that you don't have to slow down much when you get close to your number. I have dialed them in fast and been off by 1-2 numbers and they have still opened. They're an S&G lockset, but nowhere near a top of the line item for them. Practice with yours and see what happens...

slo2type2u
07-08-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't think there is any ideal entry for all situations... I would suggest putting some sort of magnetic tap light over the dial though.... seems like dialing a combo in the dark could be very difficult....

miked
07-08-2011, 11:12 AM
For those that do have electronic locks, do the keypads show wear over time and give away the digits in your combo?

I've noticed that to be an issue on the few keypads I've had to use unless the codes were changed frequently. And something I've taken into consideration while looking for a safe myself.