PDA

View Full Version : Women's Introduction to Firearms March 4

Fiddler
02-04-2006, 11:19 PM
K&M Tactical Response Academy in conjunction with Michigan Gun Owners is proud to offer a training course designed especially for women! This course offers 1-hour of classroom instruction followed by 1-hour of live-fire range instruction and is specifically designed to introduce the fundamental aspects of firearms to women.

This course will cover:

Introduction to handgun parts and operation
Introduction to ammunition
Loading and unloading a firearm
Safe storage of your firearm
Shooting fundamentals

When: March 4th, 1:00pm - 3:00pm

Where: Total Firearms
1380 North Cedar, St., Mason

Cost: $25.00

Phone: (734) 272-1144
Email: kmacademy@charter.net
or
pistolinstructor@charter.net

A $10.00 deposit will be required to reserve your space.
Space is limited so sign up now!

Tallbear
02-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Sounds like a great program. Let me know if you need help.

Fiddler
02-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks, Mike!

Tank
02-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Just saw this, and the GF is wanting to get a pistol....

I'm sure I can call, but thought I'd just check here... space still left, the class still taking place? I was just there today and didn't see anything about this class (not that I was LOOKING for it).

Fiddler
02-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Yes, the class is on and we have a few spots left. We had flyers up at Total. I'm not sure why there weren't any, unless maybe they ran out. Just send me your girlfriend's registration info and I'll put her on the list.

Dedpoet
02-28-2006, 06:54 PM
My gf will be at the class too. I'm excited about it. I don't expect she'll come out wanting her own, but I'm just looking for her to be more comfortable about the whole thing.

-Brian

M1911A1
02-28-2006, 06:57 PM
You can never tell, Brian. She might end up with more guns that you!

Knimrod
02-28-2006, 07:42 PM
When I talked to the guys at Total last Friday, they had class flyers on the sales counter, on the walls and in the range. I'll check in with them again tomorrow.

Fiddler
02-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Brian, I'm looking forward to meeting your girlfriend, as well as Lance's wife, and all the others who have signed up!

Class is almost full so if you're still interested, sign up now! We only have a few slots left!

Tank
02-28-2006, 09:09 PM
she's all signed up... she called herself this afternoon after I emailed her the posting.

I'm not saying they didn't have them up guys.... easy.... I'm not known for being the most eagle eyed guy around. There probably were PLENTY up, but I had G27 on the brain so I wasn't seeing much but BLACK! LOL

She'll be there Saturday, as will I (seeing how she's using my gun and I don't want her to get in trouble transporting it around). She made a pukey face when I asked her if she was interested in a revolver. She apparently has had experience with a .45ACP.... *drool*... so I guess it's semi-auto we're headed for when we can find what she likes.

Picking up a G27 from John hopefully Thursday, I'll see what else he may have that the misses may like.

Fiddler
02-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Yes, we have her on the list. Looking forward to meeting both of you! I can make several suggestions for pistols that work for women, but of course I haven't met her yet and don't know what her individual needs are. I'll have several handguns on hand that she can try. It's a great way to see what works.

Dedpoet
02-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Cool, I won't be lonely. I'll look for you there, Tank. I didn't know if I was going to hang around the range during the class or go find something to do in Lansing, or what. I was figuring on a game-time decision. Sandra may be using my gun as well, I didn't know what the rental situation would be like, if they were going to use .22's, etc.

M1911A1
02-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Hey Tank, I think I spoke with her. Yep, she's all set!
She mentioned the .45ACP and that she had shot one. Being a big 1911 fan, I probably talked with her way too much about that. Ask anyone, I can go in to detail. The old saying about "Ask him what time it is and he'll tell you how to build a watch" applies to me!

Brian,
Total has rentals and Fiddler will be bringing her collection. The rental situation will be ample! Remember the "loaning" a gun is considered a purchase by Michigan law. So, if they are using one of your guns, be sure you drive them there. (Unless they have a CPL, then that is a purchase permit). Long and detailed law, best answered by Jim in the Legal section.

Fiddler
02-28-2006, 09:53 PM
No, Brian, you wont be lonely. There will be plenty of men there, and there's no reason why you guys couldn't shoot during the classroom portion of the class.

As for .22's the women are welcome to bring them, and if I have a student who is particularly fearful of the recoil, I might start them out on .22's, but as a rule, I don't spend a lot of time with the .22's. I encourage (but don't force) the women to try some of the higher calibers, and they are usually pleasantly surprised at how well they can handle it once they have mastered the fundamentals. If they don't start out with it, most of the women move up to at least a 9mm pretty quickly as they gain skill and confidence with their shooting.

By the way, we only have one slot left!

Knimrod
02-28-2006, 09:56 PM
No, Brian, you wont be lonely. There will be plenty of men there, and there's not reason why you guys couldn't shoot during the classroom portion of the class.

And that's exactly what some of us husbands will be doing. :D

Dedpoet
02-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Sounds good. I did know the procedure for "loaning" a gun, that's one of the reasons I had planned on being there. She's not even officially a Michigan resident, so loaning her my pistol without my being there isn't even practical. Let's see...if we ship it to Ohio on Thursday... :-) I'll see you guys on Saturday.

Kouger
03-01-2006, 12:45 AM
ok..maybe i will even try to come out

is there a rifle range near by?

im still itching to shoot the M1 carbine

mitommy
03-01-2006, 07:10 AM
You can never tell, Brian. She might end up with more guns that you!

Marty speaks from experience.

Fiddler
03-01-2006, 08:46 AM
That's true, but at least they are put to good use!

Tank
03-01-2006, 11:04 AM
She'll bring my S&W .22 just to have something to shoot. I'll have my new G27 by then, and if she wants she can try that one too. If you have other guns for her to try out, i'm sure she'll love to do that. I told her that she'll probably end up wanting to get a 9mm after she figures out the gun that fits her best. She's shot the .45, and I LOVE those... so if she's comfy with that round I may talk her into one of those. I told her... find the gun that fits you the best, then work on as much caliber as you can handle without fear.

Sounds like this comment could be made on Saturday... "I went to this nice training class for women, and a MGO gun shoot broke out!" LOL

Fiddler
03-01-2006, 06:34 PM
She'll bring my S&W .22 just to have something to shoot. I'll have my new G27 by then, and if she wants she can try that one too. If you have other guns for her to try out, i'm sure she'll love to do that. I told her that she'll probably end up wanting to get a 9mm after she figures out the gun that fits her best. She's shot the .45, and I LOVE those... so if she's comfy with that round I may talk her into one of those. I told her... find the gun that fits you the best, then work on as much caliber as you can handle without fear.

That's right. It's also important that she be able to control the muzzle flip. Caliber doesn't mean much good if the shot placement isn't there, but I know a lot of women who can shoot a .45 with no problem. I don't have a problem with .45, except for the price of ammo. When you shoot as much as I do, that starts to add up. :|

Sounds like this comment could be made on Saturday... "I went to this nice training class for women, and a MGO gun shoot broke out!" LOL

As long as everyone learns a lot and has a good time!

Ken P
03-01-2006, 07:41 PM
... she called herself this afternoon

Hmmm...did she answer? :roll:

(I know you missed us while you were gone..LOL)

Tank
03-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Hmmm...did she answer? :roll:

(I know you missed us while you were gone..LOL)

ROFL... you REALLY made me look through the posts to find that.... maybe I should say She has already called....

Fiddler
03-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Well, if it's any consolation, I knew what you meant. I guess the guys will get you on anything. 8)

Fiddler
03-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Class is full. Thank you!

mkls0
03-02-2006, 08:49 PM
COOL 20 or 30 shooter ? :)

Fiddler
03-02-2006, 09:50 PM
LOL as you know, we had close to that at the last women't night at the Firing Line, but since Total only has 6 lanes and they have asked that we limit it to 2 per lane, we are only accepting 12 students.

Tank
03-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Fiddler,

Ignore the other post... you answered it here.

Knimrod
03-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Congratulations to Karen, Marty, Corrinne, Mike, et al on a job well done! My wife was duly impressed by the knowledge, care and sensitivity imparted by the instructors. After speaking with some of the other students, It's clear that this sentiment was shared by all. Thank you.

Fiddler
03-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Thank you, Lance. That's very kind of you! I really enjoyed working with the women, as always. It seemed from the feedback we received that some of the women might like to return for more training in the future, and I hope to return to Total for some shoots and classes.

I would like to thank Marty, Michael, Corinne, Jennifer and Rob for all of their help with class, and Lance, thanks for all your help setting it up and getting us in at Total.

mkls0
03-04-2006, 10:37 PM
I was only the photographer :banana:

Dedpoet
03-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Lance, I didn't realize that you were Knimrod. I should have stuck around more to chat. I'm the guy who gave you the ammo back that you loaned to my girlfriend. They didn't want others on the range, so I was in my car reading a magazine most of the time once I had looked around the shop 2 or 3 times :) I'll be more social next time, I promise!

-Brian

Fiddler
03-04-2006, 10:49 PM

There's no "only" about it. It's good to have pics of these events, and you did a lot more than that! Besides, you cared enough to make the effort to be there. That says a lot. Thank you.

Fiddler
03-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Lance, I didn't realize that you were Knimrod. I should have stuck around more to chat. I'm the guy who gave you the ammo back that you loaned to my girlfriend. They didn't want others on the range, so I was in my car reading a magazine most of the time once I had looked around the shop 2 or 3 times :) I'll be more social next time, I promise!

-Brian

Sorry I didn't have the opportunity to introduce you guys. Things were hopping!

Autumnlovr
03-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Pictures? Are they going to be posted?

Dedpoet
03-06-2006, 07:17 AM
I got a nice bonus from this event. Marty overheard my girlfriend saying that I had been drooling over AK's but that it was a deal breaker if I bought an assault rifle. He jumped to my aid! Thanks, Marty! I'll continue working on this one slowly, but I appreciate the effort.

M1911A1
03-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Anytime Brian. I'm sorry I went in to the lecture, really. At least she got the 5 minute abbreviated version! Ask anyone how I get with that whole semi auto "assualt" rifle thing! I can prattle on for three hours about full auto, versus semi auto versus selct fire versus sub machineguns versus high powered cartridges versus medium power cartridges versus pistol caliber cartridges...
...You get the idea.

Fiddler
03-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Marty, I hate to break it to you, but if you get going, you can rattle on for 3 hours about anything. Want to see him REALLY rattle on, just ask him about Buicks. :razz:

Roger Roney
03-07-2006, 02:02 AM
<snip>Want to see him REALLY rattle on, just ask him about Buicks. :razz::lolup: I worked BuickRama....Err...OutDoorama, on Sat. Went out to see the one Marty had there. My brain is still trying to sort & file all the info!! :lol: :lol:

Roger

Dedpoet
03-07-2006, 01:07 PM
I got a complete lesson on the differences between model 70 and model 80 1911's and what Browning changed when he made the Hi-Power during my CPL class while Karen stepped out briefly. There was also extensive Buick talk during the lunch break.

Not that I didn't appreciate it, of course! :)

M1911A1
03-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Brian, that's series 70 versus series 80 :lol:
Always remember to think "WWJMBD?" :biggrin:

Three blocks long and two lanes wide

Dedpoet
03-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Brian, that's series 70 versus series 80

You know what's funny? I wrote that post and then jumped in the car to run an errand. I got to the end of my street and actually said to myself out loud in the car, "Oh crap. It's series 70 isn't it?" I knew you would correct me on it. :)

This is the most hijacked thread ever, but it's fun!