PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Marlin Model 60 rifle.

due51
02-05-2006, 12:45 PM
My son and I just got back from the range and put about 150 rounds through our new Marlin 60. I'm home now and want to clean the entire rifle. Since I bought this thing second hand, I don't have an owners manual.

I want to do a thorough job of cleaning it. I've got the stock off and am remonving any debris but does anyone have any tips for cleaning (until I get the owners manual ordered from Marlin)?

Thanks
John

Brian
02-06-2006, 06:17 AM
There's nothing special about the Marlin that needs to be done. You can do the fire control group by just spraying it with a good cleaner. Don't take the E clips out and start pulling the thing apart as it can get tricky getting it back together if something pops out and gets away from you. Take the fire control group off the receiver by taking out the pins at each end of it and it will come away from the receiver, that will make it easier to clean the barrel. To get the bolt out of the receiver just pull it back all the way and lift the bolt off of the charging handle and be careful lifting it out of the receiver as it's under spring pressure from the action spring. The handle will come out of the ejection port. When you put the bolt back in be careful to align the action spring with the guide and get it started into the back of the bolt as you slide the the bolt back in, the spring bends easy if it's not aligned. Also be sure to get the guide in the right spot at the back of the receiver, there should be a little dimple it fits into.
I once got one of these from a friend who's Son took it apart and bent a few springs and got them attached to the wrong points. Exploded firearms drawing books come in handy. The marlin is a good little gun you should have lots of fun with for years. One more thing, check the plastic bolt buffer at the back of the fire control group for cracks and replace it if it has any. You can get them from Marlin or Brownell's, about four bucks.

Good luck with it. :cheers:

Try here for a manual.
http://www.again.net/~steve/page7b.htm