PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer Tactical Operations 1911

curriek
06-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Thought I’d write a review on a gun most people haven’t heard of…

I have owned a couple of 1911s in the past; Springfield’s TRP & Champion Operator, Kimber’s Warrior, Dan Wesson’s CBOB and S&W’s 1911SC… so I have something to draw comparisons from. I love shooting 1911s, but never really liked carrying them so one by one, I got rid of them. Figured it was time to get one back… I didn’t want to break the bank so I decided to stay under $1000. Enter Sig Sauer’s Tactical Operations, or TACOPS (1911R-45-TACOPS). I had never considered Sig 1911s as being a legitimate contender in the 1911 world. They make a great gun in the P-Series models, but their 1911s didn’t appeal to me. They had a non-traditional look and I had never heard much (good or bad) about them. After reading a well written review online about the TACOPS model and doing some further research, I figured I would take the chance. I considered buying a used Kimber Tactical Pro or a new Springfield Loaded, but the TACOPS really caught my eye. I found a Sig XO in a local gunshop that was just under $1000 and didn’t offer the same features that I wanted. I found a good deal on GunBroker and bought a TACOPS. With the transfer fee I was a little over $900 (Sigs MSRP $1213).

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/kcurrie911/IMAG0220.jpg

My initial handling of the TACOPS left me really pleased. Ordering a 1911 can be a little risky as the quality from pistol to pistol can differ. The TACOPS comes with features that you would see on a lot of $1000+ 1911s. The TACOPS has front strap checkering, ambidextrous thumb safety, beavertail grip safety, night sights, match grade barrel, extended magazine release, and a 1913 rail. It’s kind of a hybrid between the Kimber Warrior and Springfield TRP.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/kcurrie911/warriorTRP.jpg

The night sights are genuine Trijicon Novak style night sights green/green. The front strap checkering is not overly aggressive, but provides a good grip. The TRP has the checkering as well and it was a feature I definitely liked and wanted. The mainspring housing is full metal, not plastic like on some Kimbers. The grips that are included are Ergo XT and they are functional. A little slippery if your hands are sweaty, but the front strap checkering helps maintain a good grip. I have already planned on replacing the grips with a set from VZ.

At the local gun shop, I handled a S&W 1911 that had a thumb safety that wouldn’t click on/off. It would just begrudgingly move without a sound or the feel of a positive engagement. The TACOPS thumb safety has a very positive engagement and a loud audible click. I was worried that Sig’s short thumb safety might be a problem, but it is not. The thumb safety has some grittiness to it, but I think it will go away with some use. The beavertail grip safety is well fitted. The extractor on a Springfield Loaded I looked at stuck out like a sore thumb. The gunsmith told me that it was just a matter of fitting and it differs on each particular gun. I was happy to see that the extractor is flush with the back of the slide on the Sig. It might not matter with functionality, but it pleases me to see that Sig tries to put out a well fitted gun. The external extractor is something frowned upon by the die hard 1911 lovers, but it didn’t really matter to me. My S&W 1911 had the external extractor and it was the only 1911 out of the box that had no problems. The CBOB, TRP, and Warrior all had a break in period.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/kcurrie911/IMAG0215.jpg

The slide/frame fit is exceptional as well. The only other 1911 I’ve had that was nice and tight like this was my CBOB. Onto the trigger… The solid lightweight aluminum trigger leaves a little to be desired. It’s not a bad trigger, but definitely not the best I’ve experienced. It’s a little loose feeling and I might have it replaced. Again, this may be a minor fitting issue that varies from pistol to pistol. There is one thing that bothers me about the overall appearance of the gun is the hammer. Sig uses an all stainless hammer which doesn’t really match the rest of the gun. Would have much preferred a blued hammer. Doesn’t affect functionality one bit, but just seems off to me. The slide profile may turn some people off, but it has grown on me. It might make finding holsters more difficult, but there are companies that accommodate Sig’s 1911 profile. The rail might turn some off as well, but it didn't really matter to me. It wasn't really a positive or negative factor for me.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/kcurrie911/IMAG0217.jpg

Another kudos to Sig for having the barrel throat and feed ramp polished. I don’t think I’ve ever had a 1911 that came that way from the factory. I know I did my own polish job on my Warrior and TRP. For those interested, the TACOPS comes with the plug and spring guide recoil system. It didn’t have the full length guide rod or the two piece guide rod that Springfield has. I prefer the full length or the plug and guide style. The TACOPS model also comes with four 8rd magazines. They all appear to be CheckMate magazines, but only three of them are marked CheckMate. The 4th is identical but without the logo stamp.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/kcurrie911/IMAG0216.jpg

I have only went out to the range once since getting the TACOPS, so long term reliability and durability have yet to be determined. I ran about 4 boxes, 176 rds to be exact, of Federal Champion. With 45 ACP being high priced, I went to Wal-Mart and picked up the only stuff they had. Proud to report that I had no failures in my limited range session. The only problem I had was with feeding a fresh magazine. I inserted the mag on a closed slide and racked it back. The bullet got stuck halfway in the barrel. I wouldn’t really call it a failure, as the gun shot without issue, but it might be a magazine problem or me just not pulling the slide back with enough force to send it forward. This problem didn’t happen when I used the slide stop to send it home. It is a very accurate gun, but most 1911s will “outshoot” the shooter. The front strap checkering didn’t dig in or bother me one bit. The gun was very controllable, due to its hefty weight, and follow up shots were quick.

As of right now, I am very pleased with the Sig TACOPS. It is a very economical choice for those that are looking for a feature filled “tactical” 1911 without breaking the bank. I am impressed with the quality of the pistol and would recommend one of these to anyone. I don’t have any experience with Sig’s other 1911s, but I wouldn’t hesitate to give them a chance. I will probably change some things on it (hammer, grips, trigger). Even as it sits right now, it is a great choice.

Pro’s
Feature filled (NS, magwell, checkering, etc.)
Tightly fitted
No malfunctions (…yet)
Four magazines included
Little details: polished feed ramp and barrel, undercut trigger guard
Economical

Con’s
Trigger leaves a little to be desired
Proprietary slide and the rail makes it a little harder to find a holster
Heavy
Thumb safety style may turn some off

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/kcurrie911/IMAG0205.jpg

Now with some VZ Aliens...

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/kcurrie911/IMAG0231.jpg

JimSig
06-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Great Review.. thanks for posting.

cwo4uscgret
06-10-2011, 08:53 AM
You will like your Sig; yours looks a lot like mine with the exception of the finish and the ambidextrous slide release. Out of the box they are quite proficient and accurate. Mine has trijicon sights as well. The front strap checkering on mine works well.

With regards to holsters, most leather (only) holsters for 1911s work; they do require some stretching though. Bianchi (Model 82 CarryLok) has a nice open top leather holster with a locking system that locks onto the trigger guard, to remove the gun, press a lever with your trigger finger...

http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/rimfire-guns/sig_revolution_gsr.jpg

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/prodimages/82_l.jpg
Bianchi Model 82 Carry Lok

Dabears!
06-10-2011, 05:40 PM
i got the chance to feel one that came through here
same setup as yours

loved it but the trigger irked me

curriek
06-10-2011, 07:44 PM
I will say, after putting some rounds through it, the trigger has slightly improved. Still not to the level I'd like though.

i got the chance to feel one that came through here
same setup as yours

loved it but the trigger irked me

usmcpaul
06-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Nice write up. Thanks.

ai6he
10-18-2012, 08:03 PM
very impressive review! i am awaiting my tacops to come in about 2 weeks.

gjgalligan
10-19-2012, 07:43 AM
"but never really liked carrying them"

May I ask why?

xp-800
02-09-2013, 12:10 PM
I own the 'Traditional' TACOPS, which has the traditional 1911 curved top slide. Mine came with a skeletonized trigger as well, which looks pretty cool.

Said simply, I LOVE IT. The slide to frame fit is completely without play, and it just feels so solid. I had a Taurus PT1911 stainless, which I sold, but I can say without hesitation that the Sig is in a completely different league (and price...).

I can tear a 1.5" ragged hole free hand at 30 feet with just regular Federal or PMC 230gr FMJ ammo. It's a darn accurate gun. I wonder what it could do with a better shooter than me.

I do agree with the OP that the trigger fits a bit loose, but mine has a very crisp release.

It fits a Fobus railed 1911 holster (listed for Kimber) perfectly.

The only thing I added was a Wilson Combat extended slide release. Awesome. Drops right in and looks like it was made for the gun.

I also use Chip McCormick PowerMags. Much easier to load than the 4 Sig mags that came with it, and flawless functioning.

I can't stress enough how good this gun feels to shoot. I guess that's the highest endorsement I can give.

blowndeadline
02-09-2013, 09:44 PM
I have been looking for a 1911 that also would not break the bank and spotted a few of the Sig options. I've looked at the Scorpion as well as the TACOPS versions and after reading your thorough review I may have to check it out a little closer! Thanks for the great write-up!

ILoveMyGlock
02-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Too bad this site doesn't have a reputation feature. Thank you for taking the time to write that!

durus5995
02-10-2013, 04:14 AM
Too bad this site doesn't have a reputation feature. Thank you for taking the time to write that!

I agree I wonder how the pistol worked for the OP since he posted this well over a year ago.

curriek
02-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately I sold the pistol awhile ago. I would buy another one in a second. The one pistol I regret getting rid of the most was this one. I might actually pick up a TACOPS Carry when my tax refund comes in. If I can find one...

Marcus
02-12-2013, 01:34 PM
EEeee-www....whats that thingy hanging under the dust cover? :poke:

J/K

Nice review.

EricF517
02-13-2013, 12:18 PM
If they made this in a 9mm I would be all over it.

xp-800
02-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Along the sentiments of the OP's last post, I will say without hesitation that my TACOPS feels the most 'special' in hand of all my guns. I can't quantify it, it just feels so solid and smooth.

FWIW, I bought mine at Nelson Tactical. They are OOS now, but they had the best price anywhere (before the craziness) and fast shipping.

cwo4uscgret
02-13-2013, 03:44 PM
I'd love one in .38 Super. I have a TACPAC (unrailed version of the TACOPS) and an RCS (Officer Sized). I would love to convert one of those to .38 Super.

ai6he
02-15-2013, 10:55 AM
After having waited for nearly 4 months, I finally received a call from my ffl, went straight over & cleared the paperwork & I am going to to get it today. This is my 3rd 1911, first I got the sig stx which blowed my mind when I first put over a hundred rounds through it, shortly after it, I got a railed stainless steel version, great tight groups I got as close as 1.6" at 25 feet, this tacops version was supposed to be the 2nd one but the ffl got the model wrong but they had a Tacpac which is not ambidextrous so I dropped that & ffl special ordered the tacops, boy, it took them so long to get it.

like many of you who gave a near straight a's to this beautiful handgun, I will too, this is a never regret piece of solid steel & pays over time you'll love more & more.

Have a great post Valentine's Day:)