PDA

View Full Version : Thermocell (Do they work?) Pros / Cons

BullPup Adict
06-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Question for anyone who has used a thermocell mosquito repellent, how effective are they?
Do they effect approaching game when used in a deer blind?

I have a Gift card to use up and don't want to waste on a useless gimmick.

thanks
Bull

RSF
06-15-2011, 10:48 AM
I have used them all over the country on hunts and fishing trips they work great

I use them in bear camp every year it seams in Canada and they are sweet

start them up prior to getting to stand give them about few minutes to warm up place on stand platform or limb etc pending wind direction

never had an animal issue with them and have killed alot of critters using them

piercedone
06-15-2011, 11:20 AM
I used a fathers day gift card for one a few years ago.. Best thing I have ever gotten!!!!!!
I bought the little carrying case that goes with it, was kinda nice to be able to keep extra fuel and repelentant right with it. (Kids are great for loosing your stuff.. thats my story and im sticking to it)
I dont buy into the whole scented repelentant (dirt smell i believe) I have read about enough guys using the regular ones to know it cant bother deer or other animals too much. I will never go out for the early anterless hunt with out mine.

miked
06-15-2011, 11:29 AM
They work!

They use the same butane canisters as some women's travel curling irons, which are cheaper to buy then the Thermocell brand. There is also a hack for refilling them but I have never tried it.

Made_in_Michigan
06-15-2011, 11:42 AM
I'll add my 2 coppers..

Dad got one first, me shortly after. Now, most of the family has them for hunting or simply sitting in the gazebo or on the picnic table... They work amazingly well in an enclosed area such as a blind, but even in open air they are impressive.

You can be assured, as gimmicky as it sounds, it works exactly as claimed.

stainless1911
06-15-2011, 12:16 PM
do they work if its breezy?

RSF
06-15-2011, 12:17 PM
yes just apply for wind direction

FIJI
06-15-2011, 01:31 PM
they work GREAT...but dont get one.

That way MINE will work even better 'cause all the skeeters will be heading your way

:whistle:

fr3db3ar
06-15-2011, 04:43 PM
I bought my first one last year. I got eaten up on the way to stand but once there with it started all biting stopped. I got eaten up again on the way out.

They DO WORK.

MAGNYS
06-16-2011, 09:38 AM
I never knew this product existed. Now I need one!
God, I love MGO!
Jeff

Medic124
06-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Bought one last year. One of the best hunting investment I have made. You just have to look around for refills. I have found ebay to be one of the cheapest places to buy them.

ro2
06-17-2011, 03:35 PM
I kicked myself for waiting so long to get one, because I kept wondering if they work.:banana:

hopeitsfast
06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Count me as another one who never heard of this product. I guess i will have to go get one for those nights hanging out in the backyard.

Mongo
06-17-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm shocked by all the positive responses. Looks like I'm the only one who hasn't had luck with them.

Last summer, I bought two for our cottage up north, to use by the campfire and patio. I took one to a July 4th fireworks show and had it sitting between our chairs, we still were bitten badly and had to use bug spray. Same thing by the campfire, no effect at all. The last time I tried it was when grilling ribs. I used both of them on either end of the grill, about 12 feet apart, and they seemed to do nothing. I actually saw mosquito's landing and sitting right on the case of the cell. I probably tried them at least a dozen times before giving up.

I followed all directions, and really WANTED them to work, but I just saw no effect. I ended up returning them to Cabella's and was told that I wasn't alone, many were coming back.

Maybe I got some defective products. Or, maybe I'm defective. Either way, I wish they would have worked. Maybe if I witness someone else having success with them and can see it with my own eyes, I'd give it another shot.

Stuffed Shirt
06-17-2011, 06:46 PM
I have only used mine in a turkey blind but, during the mosquito season hunt, that is the only way to go.

RSF
06-17-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm shocked by all the positive responses. Looks like I'm the only one who hasn't had luck with them.

Last summer, I bought two for our cottage up north, to use by the campfire and patio. I took one to a July 4th fireworks show and had it sitting between our chairs, we still were bitten badly and had to use bug spray. Same thing by the campfire, no effect at all. The last time I tried it was when grilling ribs. I used both of them on either end of the grill, about 12 feet apart, and they seemed to do nothing. I actually saw mosquito's landing and sitting right on the case of the cell. I probably tried them at least a dozen times before giving up.

I followed all directions, and really WANTED them to work, but I just saw no effect. I ended up returning them to Cabella's and was told that I wasn't alone, many were coming back.

Maybe I got some defective products. Or, maybe I'm defective. Either way, I wish they would have worked. Maybe if I witness someone else having success with them and can see it with my own eyes, I'd give it another shot.

Did you have fresh pads in them? and did you let them heat up like they should?

I bet on your pads being pad or empty been using them since they fiorst hit the market i wont be caught without them

Mongo
06-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Did you have fresh pads in them? and did you let them heat up like they should?

I bet on your pads being pad or empty been using them since they fiorst hit the market i wont be caught without them

Yep. Brand new units and pad refills were used. I let them heat up, tried flipping the pads over, tried pads out of the refill pack, everything I could think of. I even made a few friends read the instructions and set em up, just to be sure it wasn't just me. Like I said, I wanted them to work and didn't feel like lugging them back to Cabella's.

If I keep seeing positive results like posted on here, I supppose I will have to give them another try. It would be a great product to have.

Maybe I just have Ninja Mosquitos at my place. :rambo:

RSF
06-19-2011, 07:52 AM
bummer to hear.... might have been a bad batch or super bugs.....

Mongo
06-19-2011, 10:52 AM
bummer to hear.... might have been a bad batch or super bugs.....

Yep, it might have been a bad batch, everything can't be perfect. With all this positive feedback, I think they deserve another try from me.

Heck, I even heard stories of Serpa holsters failing before, so anything is possible. :laugh:

Jonnysea
06-19-2011, 10:58 AM
I just purchased a Thermacell unit based on this post. I have high expectations. Ill keep you posted on how it works for me.

RPMO6
06-19-2011, 11:00 AM
have killed alot of critters using them
You use them for killing critters?

Karl
06-20-2011, 09:04 AM
They now make a table top model with a small built in lamp. Looks nice and should do the job. Priced $25-30.00

Mongo-Try putting it in the holster they make and hanging it verticly. Mine seems to work better that way than it does laying it on it's back.

fbuckner
06-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Based on RSF suggesting them years ago I have a nice little collection.
2- in the camper
1- in my deer gear bag
1- in my predator hunting bag
1- in the boat.

They are well worth the money.

stainless1911
06-21-2011, 10:01 PM
This thermocell would be my ideal mosquito repellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwlNPhn64TA&feature=related