View Full Version : Officer stable following gun shot

Knimrod
02-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Officer stable following gun shot
VanDyke wounded by fellow MPPD officer in ‘accident’
By Alex Piazza
Senior Reporter
February 22, 2006

Mount Pleasant Police Officer Ron Langworthy accidentally shot fellow officer David VanDyke in the foot Tuesday afternoon.

VanDyke suffered minor injuries to his foot in the shooting, MPPD said in a press release. He was treated at Central Michigan Community Hospital, 1221 South Drive.

MPPD Director of Public Safety William Yeagley said the incident occurred around 3 p.m. when the two officers were in the squad room of the MPPD.

Yeagley said Langworthy was unaware there was ammunition in the weapon.

“I am saddened that this accident occurred and that an officer was injured,” he said.

The department will conduct an internal investigation into the matter before releasing further information, Yeagley said.

According to Glock, the pistol’s manufacturer, there is no such thing as an accidental shooting with a Glock like Langworthy’s.

Glocks are manufactured with a “Safe Action” system where shots are fired only when the trigger is pulled – making it impossible to accidentally shoot someone.

It’s hard to tell the difference between an unloaded and loaded gun, said Isabella County Sheriff’s Department Deputy Mike Hosking.

“Somebody may think (it’s loaded) that doesn’t know it’s unloaded,” he said.

Safety is a top priority with officers, but unintentional shootings happen, Hosking said, adding an incident like this has never happened to his knowledge.

Link to story (http://www.cm-life.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/22/43fccb34c5c6c)

gsbell
02-23-2006, 05:24 PM
It’s hard to tell the difference between an unloaded and loaded gun, said Isabella County Sheriff’s Department Deputy Mike Hosking.
Is he serious? :roll:

jeff s
02-24-2006, 11:23 AM

Safety is a top priority with officers, but unintentional shootings happen, Hosking said, adding an incident like this has never happened to his knowledge.

I don't know about the Isabella County Sheriff's Dept. training, but EVERY training that I have taken, even in the Marine Corps, all guns are considered loaded.

And this Deputy Hosking is actually carrying a weapon that he can't tell if its loaded or not. What a moron.

Batman
02-24-2006, 02:49 PM
The number one rule in gun safety:

THE GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED!

Now repeat that saying 10,000 time more!

I used to say "threat every gun as if it were loaded". I don't anymore. I say:

When I see a gun I think:

When I'm cleaning my guns I think:

When I'm casing and storing my guns I'm thinking:

Safety starts with the person holding the gun.

Divegeek
02-25-2006, 07:21 AM
And Glocks have had a loaded chamber indicator on the extractor for quite a while. So unless he has a first generation that is almost 20 some years old, I would think his has one too.

gsbell
02-25-2006, 06:52 PM

Another indicator of the erosion of our society. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? How about buck up and admit you made a mistake?
Too much to ask I suppose.