PDA

View Full Version : All about ammo

Meanie
06-27-2011, 10:51 AM
As I venture on the learning curve of gun ownership, my next step is learning about ammo. What is defined as "good" ammo or "bad" ammo or is there such a thing? I've heard to use cheaper ammo for the range/practice and the better ammo for the rest, which we know what that is related towards.

Can you good people enlighten me with the ammo issues and perhaps suggest retailers with good prices?

If it makes a difference, I currently own the Glock 19.

Thank you much.

I almost forget...I am also asking for recommendation on cleaning supplies and lube oil, that is, if there is a major difference between brands or type. Otherwise, I'll visit the local gun shop and pick up what they sell.

shurhouse
06-27-2011, 06:56 PM
As I venture on the learning curve of gun ownership, my next step is learning about ammo. What is defined as "good" ammo or "bad" ammo or is there such a thing? I've heard to use cheaper ammo for the range/practice and the better ammo for the rest, which we know what that is related towards.

Can you good people enlighten me with the ammo issues and perhaps suggest retailers with good prices?

Thank you much.

I almost forget...I am also asking for recommendation on cleaning supplies and lube oil, that is, if there is a major difference between brands or type. Otherwise, I'll visit the local gun shop and pick up what they sell.

It would take a book to answer all of your questions in depth but I'll give a couple of questions a try.

Target vs Self Defense Ammo - Most people use a FMJ round for target practice because they are less expense than a hollow point. Some also use reloads and rounds made of lead alloy. ( Glock states not to use lead bullets in their guns ). Usually if it gets out of the barrel and will work the slide on a semi auto people will use it for target practice.
Self Defense ammo is mostly hollow points because they open up on impact causing more energy to hit the body and there is less chance that the round will go though the person and hit someone or thing behind them. Again you'll find volumes of information on which brand or design is better or worse. Make sure when you purchase rounds for SD that you buy enough to shoot so that you are sure they are dependable in your firearm and with you shooting them.

Where to purchase - you find that Walmart and Meijers are a good source for FMJ rounds and sometime SD ammo. For most SD rounds it's probably a gun shop or internet purchase.

Again this is just the very basic, as you read more and get more involved with the shooting sports you'll find more in depth information on the subject.

kc8swy
06-27-2011, 07:05 PM
:yeahthat:

westcliffe01
06-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Good ammo: Goes bang, hits intended target. Does not blow up, kill you or amputate your hand/fingers

Bad ammo: Does not go bang, does not feed, does not eject. Does all the other unmentionable things listed.

For a pistol/autoloader, the first thing to consider is whether your new handgun will reliably feed the ammo. If it does not feed with 100% reliability, it could be very inconvenient at best, to fatal at worst, if this happens when you are trying to defend yourself against deadly force.

Round nose full metal jacket ammo has been around a long time and will generally feed in anything except a defective weapon. Don't assume your weapon isn't defective ! I bought a new $850 DPMS carbine and it absolutely wouldn't feed FMJ sharp nosed military ammunition. It took hours of "finesse" to get the magazines to work (I discovered after my "test" that the magazine manufacturer had gone bankrupt). I couldn't return the rifle to DPMS, since they had just discontinued it and I wanted that particular caliber. Fortunately, I have a little "skill" so I now have a 99% reliable weapon and having been in combat, I know how to deal with a jam.

For pistols, hollow point ammo is known to be more effective in putting down the bad guy. But many pistols may not feed hollow point ammo with full reliability "out of the box". If you want to use it, test it and be sure it is 100% reliable. If not, go and visit your local gunsmith. The feed ramp may need to be polished and many pistols will ultimately feed HP's reliably. The exceptions may be some of the polymer frame or aluminum framed weapons where the feedramp is too soft (if there is no hard insert). I owned a spanish Star pistol and the feed ramp was cut in soft aluminum. Anything other than FMJ's or hollow points with a plastic insert (non existent at the time) were not going to fly.

Don't touch anyone else's reloads or any ammo of dubious quality. If a bullet fails to leave the barrel and the pistol chambers the next round and you pull the trigger, good luck...

What is defined as "good" ammo or "bad" ammo or is there such a thing?

Ol` Joe
06-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Some will say Buffalo Bore`s the best ammo and the next guy will say only Gold Dots are worth buying. Then there are a 1/2 dozen others that claim there is nuttin` wrong with Magtech and the rest are spending too much......

Mike in Michigan
06-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Excellent question, and some very good answers posted above. This is a question that only you can answer for you specific firearm. As already mentioned, there has been tonnage written on the subject. You must read, ask, absorb, collate, relate, refute, refuse, gather, test, test again, select what works for you, test again, then buy all you can of what works because eventually it will be hard to find or will get "improved" to the point it no longer works for you.

XDM 40 cal
06-28-2011, 01:14 PM
SD ammo there a ton of info on this... Rem,winchester,Speer Gold dots...

For the most part they all do the samething stop the threat..

Oil's well for the glock 19 you have CLP breekfree is fine as you wont need alot to keep it running good...
Pickup a cleaning kit that has a brush,patches...
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=4&categoryId=19869&categoryString=655***20763***10512***

you can find a clean kit's at taget sports....

Meanie
06-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks again for the advice.

I visited "Double Action" gun store/range in Madison Heights and the guy who helped me was, um, well, very helpful.

The knowledge I've gained and continue to gain is enlightening and fascinating. I bought a cleaning kit, portable safe, which I'll keep in the car and a holster which I'll try without a belt. I thought the place was nice and prices were cheap, though I haven't much to compare with.

One thing the guy did say, which I hope someone can clarify the validity, he encouraged me to start out with 124gr or higher bullets for the first 1000 rounds or so due the heavy recoil spring to help break it in. True, false?

Other than that, thanks again for the help.

XDM 40 cal
06-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks again for the advice.

I visited "Double Action" gun store/range in Madison Heights and the guy who helped me was, um, well, very helpful.

The knowledge I've gained and continue to gain is enlightening and fascinating. I bought a cleaning kit, portable safe, which I'll keep in the car and a holster which I'll try without a belt. I thought the place was nice and prices were cheap, though I haven't much to compare with.

One thing the guy did say, which I hope someone can clarify the validity, he encouraged me to start out with 124gr or higher bullets for the first 1000 rounds or so due the heavy recoil spring to help break it in. True, false?

Other than that, thanks again for the help.

Well 124gr FMJ are ok, it really doesnt matter 115gr is fine what it matters that you run as many rounds as you want till you feel it good to go..
IMHO run 500 FMJ then a box of SD to check for FTF, FTE's..

nitrous_bob
06-29-2011, 09:36 AM
What is defined as "good" ammo or "bad" ammo or is there such a thing?

that is a relative term imo.....and a lot of personal opinion
good ammo is anything from decent manufacturer really, but i prefer (for defense ammo) Hornady critical defense, ranger talon (black talons that arnt black) hydrashock in pretty much that order. also keep in mind that hotter ammo may or may not be for you. experiment and see, the bottom line is the "best " ammo for you...is the one that score multiple hits with in a time of crisis

bulk ammo online is a good bet, but usually you dont need "bulk" defense ammo. walmart is the best place to buy plinking ammo. i have no problem shooting wolf, tula, but you can get american made 9mm fmj for about $10/50 at wally world

i have yet to really see "bad" ammo

haha... i just put 20 rounds thru mine sunday afternoon. love it
imo a 9mm should be loaded +p or +p+ for the extra punch and minimum 124 grain. leave the 115's for range time

again, either the hornady, or ranger talon 127gr +p+ ( check ballistics on diff weights)

I almost forget...I am also asking for recommendation on cleaning supplies and lube oil, that is, if there is a major difference between brands or type.

as an ex-jarhead we used nothing but CLP, to clean and lube. it's smelly though, and remoil or an aerosol from HOPPES will do it too.

just my $.02

WahWah
06-30-2011, 11:55 AM
If you have the Gen4 AVOID the Remington UMCs.

I've had FTF/FTE and I was bummed b/c I thought it was the gun.
It turns out I wasn't the only one with that problem. The UMCs are allegedly underpowered so they will not reliably cycle stiff doublesprings like the Gen4s and I've even heard it done to a RugerSR9c.

My preference for practice ammo are American Eagles.

kc8swy
07-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the notes WahWah, that is useful info.

hendo
07-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Try the Boresnake by Hoppes for cleaning, you can brush clean, swab and lube all in one step. If you have a polymer pistol, also check out the polymer safe cleaning spray. Just my .02