PDA

View Full Version : Gunman Kills Woman in Detroit Church

Knimrod
02-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Gunman Kills Woman in Detroit Church
<hr>http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/thumbnails//CHURCH_SHOOTING.sff_MIDTF101_20060226175936.jpgFeb 26, 6:46 PM
By MICHAEL J. FEENEY

DETROIT (AP) - A man opened fire during a church service Sunday, killing an 18-year-old woman and wounding her child before shooting another man outside, according to police.

Investigators believe a domestic dispute led to the shooting at Zion Hope Missionary Baptist Church about 11 a.m., said Second Deputy Police Chief James Tate.

Many of the hundreds of people in the church screamed as they ducked under the pews for protection, said Ann Armstrong, 30, who was attending the service.

"I seen him come in through the balcony door, and he pulled the gun from under his coat," Armstrong said. "He just started shooting her, then he shot at the pulpit."

No one at the pulpit was hit, but a bullet struck a musical instrument she said.

Police did not identify the victims. The child did not have life-threatening injuries, but the third victim was in critical condition after he was shot trying to protect his wife from a carjacking attempt by the gunman, WWJ-AM reported.

Tate said officers were looking for Kevin Lorenzo Collins, 24, who was considered armed and dangerous.

After the gunman left, church members embraced each other before continuing to pray as police started coming in, she said.

"It was a lot of crying, a lot of hugging and a lot of praying," she said.

Church members then continued the service, Tate said.

"They didn't let this incident stop the reason why they came to church," he said. "They came to worship."

Link to story (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060226/D8G13RM8B.html)

58Sniper
02-26-2006, 11:42 PM
And they don't want us law abiding citizens carrying in church......

Divegeek
02-27-2006, 06:32 AM
Well I saw another report, in the Freep I believe, that says the shooter took his own life later in the day after being confronted by police. Another missing fact the shooter used a shotgun, so no "bullets" hit any musical instruments. Maybe some shot pellets, but no bullets.

Yes churches seem to be the new place to attack people. So either convince your pastor/elders to let you carry, find another church, or lobby Lansing. Or any combination of the above.