PDA

View Full Version : Help: Angel Shamaya in Michigan Jail

Knimrod
03-04-2006, 12:06 AM
(Update: Angel is out (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14073&p=157759))

IMMEDIATE

Angel in Jail
By Gary Marbut

Angel Shamaya, founder of KeepAndBearArms.com is in jail in Michigan, having been arrested for possession of firearms not properly registered under Michigan law.

Angel's friends are working to help him with this problem, but we need your help, right now!

We need character references from you for Angel. There is a form letter for you to fill out and send back at: http://www.marbut.com/angel.

Be advised that Angel's problem is happening in the Detroit area, where a strong anti-gun sentiment exists in the criminal justice system. So, we are asking you to downplay gun-rights and gun-related comments. We will NOT deliver to the court any disparaging letters about Michigan or Michigan laws. Stay on the high ground.

Please, download a copy of the draft letter. Add one sentence of personal comment if you wish - no more.

This is for upstanding, legitimate citizens only. So, we want you to add your name, mail address, and phone number to the letter, so the judge seeing these will accept your letter and will not think you are some flake.

You may email your completed letter, either as an attached MSWord (.doc) file, or pasted into the body of your email, either to newslinks@keepandbeararms.com or to mssa@mtssa.org. So we can pick it out from our many other emails, PLEASE make the SUBJECT of your email: "Angel reference." We will see that these letters get to Angel's attorney ASAP.

Please pass this on to your friends for action. We need letters from everyone who knows or knows of, and appreciates Angel.

Thanks loads for your help.

Gary Marbut, President
Montana Shooting Sports Association
http://www.mtssa.org
author, Gun Laws of Montana
http://www.mtpublish.com

jr-vass
03-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Where did you find this? I couldn't find Angel on the MTSSA site or the Oakland Co. Sheriff's inmate PDF's.

Is this old news?

James

Barbara
03-04-2006, 08:53 AM
I don't think he's even been arraigned yet and there's no more news on the story. The whole thing seems pretty odd to me and the last thing I'd suggest is to swamp anyone with random letters from people who don't know him.

WhoIsJohnGalt
03-04-2006, 10:44 AM
I haven't been able to find anything in any news source to confirm this story.
Can someone post a link if they have seen one????

jr-vass
03-04-2006, 10:54 AM
I had some correspondence with Angel via email back when we had the problems with the People Who Care About Kids and CPL passage in MI. He found the link between the Million Mom Minions and San Francisco.

I always thought Angel was a woman, but I guess I never asked.

James

Knimrod
03-04-2006, 10:56 AM
The source is Nicki Fellenzer. That's good enough for me. More info is forthcoming. Stay tuned.

khicks
03-04-2006, 11:10 AM
this was posted to day on keep ans bear arms.org the founder angle shamaya was arrested and in jail in oakland county. for what i have been able to find out that this has to do with problems with gun registration.

if any of you have any further info i would be greatfull

Knimrod
03-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Threads merged...

jr-vass
03-04-2006, 11:26 AM
I can't find keepandbeararms.org anywhere.

keepandbeararms.com doesn't mention it.

James

khicks
03-04-2006, 11:35 AM
click on (news links for march 4) and this will take you to the days news

jr-vass
03-04-2006, 11:55 AM
That tells me little else than the posting by Knimrod. Go look here:

http://www.oakgov.com/sheriff/jail/inmate_locator.html

Maybe this all happened in the last 24 hours?

James

Dale
03-04-2006, 12:50 PM
a hangun for registration is usually a misdemeanor. You might have to post a bond but I don't think that is even very likely.

I would like to know what the charge actually is and why he is 'in jail'.

Scoop
03-04-2006, 05:25 PM
What was he arrested for and what is the evidence against him?

While I am a strong supporter of the 2A, I don't typically run around signing petitions and writing letters in support of someone, when I've been given very little (or no) information about what he or she has done. The articles provide NO background, and simply ask for letter of support for someone who's been arrested.

taurus92
03-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Hey can he get the same deal as Detroit's ex police chief?

Scoop
03-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Hey can he get the same deal as Detroit's ex police chief?I doubt he could be THAT lucky .... :)

Knimrod
03-04-2006, 06:40 PM
What was he arrested for and what is the evidence against him?

While I am a strong supporter of the 2A, I don't typically run around signing petitions and writing letters in support of someone, when I've been given very little (or no) information about what he or she has done. The articles provide NO background, and simply ask for letter of support for someone who's been arrested.

Being arrested doesn't make him a bad guy or guilty and I'm not interested in judging him. I don't know what he's done to deserve to be arrested (if indeed he deserved it) but I do know what he's done for us all in the past. He's a high profile gun rights activist with a track record longer than most. If his people are asking for a letter, then search your soul and send it or not.

It's my understanding that they're trying to get the charges dismissed.

Knimrod
03-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Update:

Angel is out of jail. He was charged with four counts of misdemeanor possession of unregistered firearms and one count of misdemeanor menacing. He was reportedly arrested in his home.

Statement from Angel:

To all the people expressing support or concern, just knowing that you are aware of my situation made it easier to bear. I do have legal representation thanks to the Second Amendment Foundation, to whom I am grateful. Alan Gottlieb and his team moved swiftly and deftly to secure counsel for me, the result of which got me out much sooner than I would have been able to do on my own.

jr-vass
03-04-2006, 08:10 PM
That tells me little else than the posting by Knimrod. Go look here:

http://www.oakgov.com/sheriff/jail/inmate_locator.html

Maybe this all happened in the last 24 hours?

Well he is listed on today's report, but with $0 bond. I assume it hasn't been set.

I'd think the first thing he wanted is "out".

James

WhoIsJohnGalt
03-05-2006, 09:03 AM
Maybe he was released on a personal recognizance bond? Hence the $0

Knimrod
03-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Posted on KABA:

More later. Need sleep. Much is happening. If justice exists in Michigan, I shall prevail. This legal battle was brought to my doorstep, literally. I didn't go looking for this. But I will have my say in court before it's done. Vindictive, dishonest, disturbed people risked having me killed by local machinegunners in Kevlar who looked like part of the ground assault team at Waco. If that makes you happy, don't help me.

--AS

Knimrod
03-05-2006, 11:30 AM
From MTSSA:

Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 22:52:12 -0700
To: mssa@mtssa.org
Subject: Update in re Angel

Dear Friends of Angel,

So many of you have asked for updates about Angel's situation, and I
am sooo swamped dealing with this situation, that the only way I
could hope to keep you informed is to add you all to a general email
list - my "Friends of Angel" list. That's why you are getting this email.

The information I broadcast here will be somewhat generic, because I
must consider it to be in the public domain.

Angel moved to Michigan to be close to his son, a very high priority
in his life.

Because of a malicious complaint (my opinion) that Angel was
dangerous and had unregistered guns, a SWAT team raided his domicile
yesterday. I was tagged to be something of a nexus in the recovery
effort partly because I was on the phone with Angel when the SWAT
team showed up at his door, partly because I'm also a friend of
Angel's, and partly because of the curse or blessing of my
get-it-handled-now personality.

As soon as I knew that Angel was in jail, I called Alan Gottlieb of
SAF to get a referral for a local attorney. I found one from the SAF
list who had his cell number on his office answering machine, and who
answered his cell phone promptly, a bit after 5 PM CST. This
attorney got after Angel's situation immediately, and I phoned Nicki
of KeepAndBearArms.com next to hatch a plan to get the word out and
start the reference letters coming. These letters will be delivered
to Angel's attorney electronically, Monday morning.

Today, an associate of the attorney I contacted yesterday appeared to
represent Angel at the arraignment, and got him sprung from jail on a
bond (the bond was not steep). I was out of the loop in the middle
part of the day today because it was the scheduled Annual Meeting for
MSSA in our State Capitol, Helena, Montana (yes, thank you, I am
still president).

I talked to Angel on the phone within 20 minutes of his release (and
several times since). Of course, he's angry, frustrated, bummed, and
distraught - who wouldn't be under these circumstances? But, he's coping.

Angel has an immediate need of protection from the consequences of
any more malicious police reports. We're working with some Michigan
folks to provide Angel with company to document his whereabouts and
activity until this is resolved. If you know anyone in Michigan
(Detroit/Pontiac area) who might help with this, let me know.

We are also sketching out a fundraising plan for legal expenses that
should come together within about 48 hours. Stay tuned for more about this.

In the mean time, Angel is facing four misdemeanor charges, three of
which are for guns that were not yet registered properly under
Michigan law, but which Angel was in the process of trying to get
registered. Bad timing and a malicious complaint - what can I say.

But, I believe, your many and kind letters will help establish with
the court that Angel is an upstanding guy.

Thanks loads for your concerns, your help, and your many offers to
help more. I'm sure Angel would want me to go heavy on thanks to you too.

I am scheduled to teach the second day of a two-day precision riflery
class tomorrow, and will be out of the loop all afternoon. Other
than that period, I will keep you updated as new and significant
information becomes available.

Best wishes.

Gary Marbut, president

Knimrod
03-05-2006, 01:15 PM
From KABA:

...The mother of my son and her family decided to sic their hometown police on me because she was mad at me and because she can't handle her emotions (and because she is a convincing liar and actress/drama queen). She has threatened for years to "take your guns away" and decided to attack.

I came here to be near my son, whom I love with all my heart, even though she still will not allow my name on his birth certificate. It's a sad, ugly situation.

BTW, at my arraignment, I entered not guilty pleas to all 5 charges.

--AS

Jim Simmons
03-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Anybody know who his lawyer is?

RS2
03-06-2006, 12:37 PM

Oh Oh. You mean it's not you?

Knimrod
03-06-2006, 12:44 PM

PM sent

Knimrod
03-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Angel Shamaya Defense Fund

By Gary Marbut

Dear Friends of Angel,

As you would suspect, Angel is exhausted with anxiety - didn't sleep well last night, and didn't get much rest the night before on the concrete bed of the Oakland County jail. We're all hoping he will get some rest tonight. All of your thoughtful letters are now in Angel's email in-box, for printing and delivery to his attorney tomorrow.

Many of you have asked where you can send a contribution to help with Angel's legal expenses. Thank you!

I have suggested a first-step fundraising process to help defray Angel's legal expenses. Angel and David agree that this is workable as a beginning, although we reserve the prerogative to revise the method in a week or so (maybe to a tax-exempt entity).

Here's what you can do: Send a check for whatever amount you wish, made payable to MSSA, and put "Angel" in the memo blank. I will deposit this in our account for the Montana Shooting Sports Association. I will write MSSA checks against the amount received for this purpose to Angel's attorney(s) for verified legal expenses. None (zero%) of the funds donated will be used for any MSSA administrative or handling fees. For oversight of this, I will be glad to provide documentation of receipts and disbursements on Angel's behalf to Angel, David and Nicki. Send any check to my personal address at:

Gary Marbut
P.O. Box 16106
Missoula, Montana 59808

If you prefer to use credit card and PayPal, there is a PayPal donation button on the MSSA Website. Mark "Angel" under special instructions if you use this option.

PLEASE NOTE: MSSA is NOT a tax exempt organization, so your donation will NOT be tax-deductible. MSSA is deliberately not tax exempt because that would limit our ability to operate as the pro-gun junkyard dog of politics (what some call us here in Montana).

BTW, Alan Gottlieb of the Second Amendment Foundation is in Germany for an international gun rights conference. Until such time as we can find a more permanent process to handle funds for Angel, MSSA will fill that void.

Feel free to forward and cross-post this message.

Best wishes,

Gary Marbut, president

Scoop
03-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Being arrested doesn't make him a bad guy or guilty and I'm not interested in judging him.I neither called him a bad guy, nor stated that he was guilty. No more implying that I was, OK? :)

I don't know what he's done to deserve to be arrestedThat was precisely what I was asking.

I don't generally throw my support behind a boxer and THEN look into what kind of a fighter he is.

I just wanted to know who I was being asked to support and why I was being asked to support him. There was NO information provided, but there was a request to send $ to support. Thanks.

Autumnlovr
03-06-2006, 08:17 PM
ABC/Channel-7 Detroit local news sure made him sound like a bad guy tonight. They said he had a "large cache of unregistered weapons" and large amounts of ammunition. Also, that he had repeatedly threatened his ex-girlfriend andsaid he'd kill her if she did anything to have his guns removed. They didn't say his name until part of the way through their "story", so I wasn't paying 100% attention. I don't remember them saying anything about a child or that the "ex-girlfriend" was also the mother of his son.

Knimrod
03-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Being arrested doesn't make him a bad guy or guilty and I'm not interested in judging him.I neither called him a bad guy, nor stated that he was guilty. No more implying that I was, OK? :)

I don't know what he's done to deserve to be arrestedThat was precisely what I was asking.

I don't generally throw my support behind a boxer and THEN look into what kind of a fighter he is.

I just wanted to know who I was being asked to support and why I was being asked to support him. There was NO information provided, but there was a request to send $ to support. Thanks.

I didn't imply that at all. I was making a statement. The original post stated that he was "arrested for possession of firearms not properly registered under Michigan law.". This is indeed the case. The evidence? I suspect you have a better chance of finding that out than I would.

Regardless, the situation is what it is. For those of you who may not know Angel Shamaya, he is the founder of keepandbeararms.com and has a long history of being on the front lines defending our 2nd amendment rights. Google his name and you'll get the picture. That said, I feel I do know him and deeply appreciate all he has done for me and other gun rights activists across the US. He has always been there when someone else needed his help and now he needs help.

His situation is that he recently moved to Michigan to be near his son. He owns several handguns that were apparently not registered according to the law.

I spoke with Angel today and while not getting into any details here, I can say that he is indeed worthy of my gratitude and my support. I wouldn't wish what he's going through on anyone. He has not had much of an opportunity to make many new friends here yet and he can certainly use some friends now.

jr-vass
03-06-2006, 08:33 PM
http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15924_4519504,00.html

James

Ken P
03-06-2006, 09:31 PM
how long ago did he move here?

Knimrod
03-06-2006, 10:15 PM
how long ago did he move here?

It's not real clear when he actually established "residency" here. I think it's safe to say it can be measured in months.

One of Many
03-06-2006, 10:25 PM
WXYZ seems to be reporting spurious "facts" concerning the number of "illegal" firearms; 15 handguns, 10 long guns, and 17000 rounds of ammo - they make it sound as if every firearm was illegal and the ammo was a threat to the neighbors. The actual arrest was supposed to be for 4 unregistered handguns.

Then they claim he made threats against a woman, without mentioning a child visitation dispute. This is the worst sort of reporting; designed to slant the news and generate a false appearance of a violent criminal.

Uncorroborated threats are easy to make - but a conspiracy by her family members to file false charges may be difficult to disprove. He is in a precarious position, since the woman is the mother of his child, and she could file false charges of domestic abuse, and his guns would be gone forever if convicted.

Knimrod
03-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Yep.. I'm not sure of the actual count of guns confiscated but I know that there are 4 "counts" of possession of an unregistered handgun.

That story was definitely written to paint the circumstances in the worst light possible. I wonder how many other Michigan residents lawfully have that many handguns, long guns and that much ammunition in their homes?

MIGunOwner
03-07-2006, 07:33 AM
I was watching the WDIV Channel 4 news yesterday, when they had the story about Angel.

Yes they also tried to paint Angel as some sort of knuckle-dragging bad guy, up to no good. Of course Oakland County Sheriff Dept. had their media display of all the guns, just as they always do. It was horribly disgusting.

Carmen Harlan reported that, paraphrasing, a SWAT team raided a home in Lake Orion and found a cache of illegal weapons and ammunition and "police are unsure what Shamaya's intentions were with all those guns and ammunition".

Thanks for spinning the story WDIV so we all have a clearer picture of what happened. I feel so much safer now. :roll:

Mark

Kimber45
03-07-2006, 08:15 AM
The actual number of guns in his possession is unclear - 25 or 26. Channel 7 did not report the number of unregistered guns making it sound as though all of his firearms, handguns and long guns, were "illegal".

My thought was "poor guy only has 26 guns and 17,000 rounds of ammo". He needs to go shopping when this is all over.

If the police ever want to know what my plans are for all of my guns and ammo I'll just say "FUN".

RS2
03-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Here is an item from today's Free Press ...

ORION TWP.: Man, 37, faces charges in seizure of weapons cache

A cache of guns and ammunition was seized Saturday at an Orion Township home after a woman reported to police that her 37-year-old boyfriend threatened to kill her.

Angel S. Shamaya was charged with four counts of firearms safety inspection violations, misdemeanors punishable upon conviction by up to 90 days in jail and a $100 fine, and one count of malicious use of a communication device, a misdemeanor punishable by up to 6 months in jail.

He was arraigned Saturday in 52-3 District Court and ordered to have no contact with his girlfriend, whose name was withheld by police.

Shamaya was freed on $5,000 bond, police said.

Oakland County sheriff's deputies found 15 unregistered handguns, 10 long guns including high-powered semiautomatic rifles, and 17,000 rounds of ammunition in the home in the 200 block of Barrington Circle.

Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe said detectives did not know why Shamaya had the guns.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060307/NEWS03/603070365

goldwing2000
03-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe said detectives did not know why Shamaya had the guns.

WTF? Since when does an American citizen need a reason to own a gun??

sprink
03-11-2006, 10:14 PM
WTF? Since when does an American citizen need a reason to own a gun??

My thought exactly.

My thought was "poor guy only has 26 guns and 17,000 rounds of ammo". He needs to go shopping when this is all over.

Like I told my wife, I guess he was running low. Some folks just don't understand that a trip to the range takes a couple (few) hundred rounds.

karcent
03-12-2006, 12:28 PM
This link provides the history of Michigan's handgun registration laws for those of you who are not familiar with how the charade began.

http://www.lp.org/lpn/9908-guns-racist.html

WhoIsJohnGalt
03-12-2006, 12:53 PM
My kids were talking about that new movie "Crash" which deals with racism.
I brought up Dr. Sweet's travails and they were unaware of the genesis of Michigan's gun control.

(For more on this topic: http://www.conspiracyplanet.com/channel.cfm?channelid=30&contentid=754 )

karcent
03-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Any update on Angel's situation?

Knimrod
03-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Any update on Angel's situation?

Not really anything I can talk about. There's some legal "stuff" going on and it should be resolved soon.