PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy first gun!

mustangman95gt
07-06-2011, 05:13 PM
I have been researching for many months now on what I want to get. I am a full time student so by no means in my budget high. I have been looking at everything .22LR. This seems to be the cheapest ammo and I can get a Ruger 10 22 cheap and they are reliable.

Any advice on my first gun?

I've been looking at Ruger 10 22, Ruger Mark III, Taurus 94, Marlin M60, Savage, Remington 597 and more. I already know I am going to become a 'collector' by means of having many firearms and actually using them.

This gun would be used for target shooting only. I currently do no hunt and don't see myself doing it in the near future.

One weapon I can see myself adding is the Polish issued M44 Mosin Nagant. I have shot one and it would also be a part of my Polish heritage.

As for the .22LR, if I got a case of ammo, and a Ruger 10 22, that same exact ammo can be used in the Ruger Mark III or Taurus 94?

I'd like to keep my current budget under $400 and the LOWER the BETTER!

Hopefully you all can help!:banana:

dougwg
07-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Get the Ruger Mark III and stop thinking about it so much, this will give you more time to shoot :)

pgaplayerless
07-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Beretta Neos .22 can be had cheap used. I got mine for $150. LMK if u want to try it out.

BTW M44 and M91/30 are two different Mosins ;) Polaci only made M44s.

mustangman95gt
07-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Beretta Neos .22 can be had cheap used. I got mine for $150. LMK if u want to try it out.

BTW M44 and M91/30 are two different Mosins ;) Polaci only made M44s.

Is it accurate out of the box?

And thanks for the Mosin info, I thought it was the same but that would be a long name so it makes sense!

pgaplayerless
07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Is it accurate out of the box?

And thanks for the Mosin info, I thought it was the same but that would be a long name so it makes sense!

Very. it's a target gun/plinker

mustangman95gt
07-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Very. it's a target gun/plinker

Where can I look for those? And what do they cost new?

pgaplayerless
07-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Where can I look for those? And what do they cost new?

any good shop will have 'em. ~$200-$225 new

mustangman95gt
07-06-2011, 08:15 PM
any good shop will have 'em. ~$200-$225 new

what would you recommend, the 4.5 inch or the 6? I might have to have them in my hand first.

pgaplayerless
07-06-2011, 08:27 PM
what would you recommend, the 4.5 inch or the 6? I might have to have them in my hand first.

for me personally the neos was just going to be paper and small game puncher so for that I like the 6". Longer sight radius, little more weight up front for steady shooting. But it's all personal choice.

mustangman95gt
07-06-2011, 08:29 PM

so could I find a Polish M44 at a gun show? I doubt they would be found at a gun shop, only russian ones will be found there for the most part.

pgaplayerless
07-06-2011, 08:32 PM
so could I find a Polish M44 at a gun show? I doubt they would be found at a gun shop, only russian ones will be found there for the most part.

You could find them at gun shows but be prepared to gun show (rip off) prices especially here in MI.

You might come across one in gunshops that deal in used guns.

BTW Polish M44s are one of the most sought after M44s so be prepared for sticker shock vs Russian m44s :lol:

donald150
07-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Go with the Ruger MKIII or 22/45 :coolgleam:

jlucht01
07-07-2011, 12:56 PM
I also take a fancy to the S & W 22a. I have one, its easy to disassemble and its very accurate. I picked mine up for 180 with laminated over sized grips new. I have seen them as low as 159 new with standard black grips. My every week shooter is my MKIII with a 6" bull barrel. I can cover 10 rounds with a quarter @ 50ft off the bench with the MKIII. The 22a is more like a half dollar. Im sure part the the grouping is the shooter, so you might be able to do better with it then someone else. Go find somewhere to shoot both and make a decision. Either way, you will be having some fun. I sure silver bullet in GR will hook you up and check a couple of other local dealers, they might let you shoot them.

Just my .02

stainless1911
07-08-2011, 09:58 PM
the ruger mark3 is accurate, and a good gun, but can be a stubborn little POS when it comes to re assembly. I was going to get one, but not after trying to put it back together. I wouldnt take a free one after that.

mustangman95gt
07-09-2011, 04:15 PM
the ruger mark3 is accurate, and a good gun, but can be a stubborn little POS when it comes to re assembly. I was going to get one, but not after trying to put it back together. I wouldnt take a free one after that.

I went to the range today and I rented a Ruger 10 22 and a Beretta 22 neos 6inch.

After that I decided I might eventually like a Ruger 10 22, but as I knew before, shooting a 22 pistol is better than the rifle. I would rather get a pistol first and then get an "on ocasion" rifle; like a Mosin or another higher caliber rifle to bring for fun.

With the Beretta, I liked the gun. Put about 140 rounds down range. I didn't like the sights. Can those be switched out? I noticed my first couple shots were high. I tried to correct but found it was the gun shooting high. I'm not sure if this is because it is a rental but after while I was putting 1-2.5 inch clusters on target at anywhere from 7-10 yards.

I decided since this place is closer to my work (8 min) rather than my current residence (42 min) I can hit it again after work and rent out the Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mark III and and S&W 22a. The best gun I've even shot with was a S&W .45. Not sure what model but it was great! If that 22a is similar to the .45 I shot, I may have found a winner.

stainless1911
07-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Have you tried the Walther (Smith&Wesson) P-22? Ive got one, and I like it.

stainless1911
07-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Ive got a 10/22. Dang things a tack driver. Never thought Id like a .22, but I got it for my daighter, and never dreamed it would be so much fun.

mustangman95gt
07-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Have you tried the Walther (Smith&Wesson) P-22? Ive got one, and I like it.

i forgot I need to try that one. I like to look of it more than the 22a

stainless1911
07-09-2011, 05:19 PM
me too. Its a pretty little gun, thought my daughter was gonna cry when I gave it to her.

fegPA63
07-10-2011, 02:39 PM
DON'T WASTE MONEY get a ruger Mark II target pistol they are great shooters reliable and inexpensive to fire. Take $75 and go get a Mosin-Nagant with your leftover money from Dunham's Sports when they have their sale on them (every few months). Any leftover money get some ammo for both to have a stockpile

Nra-Life-Member
07-10-2011, 03:07 PM
You really can't go wrong with the Ruger in .22 - nice accurate and cheap to shoot

skoltuniak
07-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Having worked with them all, I recommend the Ruger, hands down.

stainless1911
07-10-2011, 03:50 PM
The little ruger I had got smashed, got tired of trying to screw with it trying to put it together. The owner had no problems with this. POS.

donald150
07-10-2011, 03:54 PM
The little ruger I had got smashed, got tired of trying to screw with it trying to put it together. The owner had no problems with this. POS.

So many people say this and I can understand the frustration but they are no more difficult to reassemble than any other gun once you figure out the correct way to do it.

stainless1911
07-10-2011, 04:01 PM
I had it apart and put back together several times, before I got sick of screwing with it. Compared to other guns Ive dealt with, it was just, well, stupid. No point in making something like that when it can be done so much easier.

mustangman95gt
07-10-2011, 08:16 PM
DON'T WASTE MONEY get a ruger Mark II target pistol they are great shooters reliable and inexpensive to fire. Take $75 and go get a Mosin-Nagant with your leftover money from Dunham's Sports when they have their sale on them (every few months). Any leftover money get some ammo for both to have a stockpile

Dunham's carries them and has them on special for that price on occasion? What do they regularly cost? I looked at one out here in CO but the cheaper one they had was $179 and was littered with cosmoline and the bolt was a little troubling to get into shooting position and back out to chamber the next round. How do Dunham's compare?

skoltuniak
07-10-2011, 08:19 PM
I had it apart and put back together several times, before I got sick of screwing with it. Compared to other guns Ive dealt with, it was just, well, stupid. No point in making something like that when it can be done so much easier.
http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html

Makes life with a Ruger Mark Series easy. Highly recommended buy. If you're not handy with a set of punches, I recommend professional install though.

bsf
07-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Slightly different angle. I very much support the responsible possession and use of firearms for personal defense. Coupled with good mindset and skills, a firearm can serve an integral role in the lifestyle of the person who refuses to be a victim. Even though firearms in the US are used more frequently in the taking of game and target shooting, I believe their most important use is in defense of life and liberty. Considering your limited budget, if the defensive application of firearms is at all something you are considering, a handgun in 9mm may be more appropriate. Furthermore, consider taking NRA’s Personal Protection in the Home, or whatever the current iteration is before purchase of a handgun. It can serve as a good primer to handgun possession and use, and will satisfy the training requirement for Concealed Pistol License application. A good instructor(s) should be able to lend you a firearm for the class and provide you with some additional knowledge and experience that will aid you in proper selection of a handgun.

mustangman95gt
07-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Slightly different angle. I very much support the responsible possession and use of firearms for personal defense. Coupled with good mindset and skills, a firearm can serve an integral role in the lifestyle of the person who refuses to be a victim. Even though firearms in the US are used more frequently in the taking of game and target shooting, I believe their most important use is in defense of life and liberty. Considering your limited budget, if the defensive application of firearms is at all something you are considering, a handgun in 9mm may be more appropriate. Furthermore, consider taking NRA’s Personal Protection in the Home, or whatever the current iteration is before purchase of a handgun. It can serve as a good primer to handgun possession and use, and will satisfy the training requirement for Concealed Pistol License application. A good instructor(s) should be able to lend you a firearm for the class and provide you with some additional knowledge and experience that will aid you in proper selection of a handgun.

Thanks and I will take home defense into my thoughts eventually. I am starting with a .22 because of the affordability and to better teach my girlfriend how to use a pistol. She is already a good shot but I would rather waste .22lr ammo than 9mm or higher. I will be getting my CPL and future handguns. There is a chance that before I come home, I may have a .45 leaving with me which is my favorite shooter.

As of right now I live in an area of extremely low crime. I am not trying to ignorant thinking "that could never happen to me" but for right now I want to focus on the basics more and hone my accuracy and stability with a pistol.

stainless1911
07-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Schools and churches are areas of low crime as well, you know, nice areas, nice people, broad daylight, yada yada yada. Shootings happen in both places on the regular as they say. Thugs and thieves also know that there is more money and finer women in the "nicer" areas, so if they really want something, thats where they will go to get it. Pontiac and rochester are neighbors, only minutes away.

If money is a problem for you, as it is for me, try reloading. Yesterday I took back some pop cans and some change, managed to scrape together around $5 something. Went to bass pro, and picked up a pack of primers, now Im sitting on a hundred rounds for the .40. The other day, I bought a hundred rounds for the p-22 for 10$.

mustangman95gt
07-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Schools and churches are areas of low crime as well, you know, nice areas, nice people, broad daylight, yada yada yada. Shootings happen in both places on the regular as they say. Thugs and thieves also know that there is more money and finer women in the "nicer" areas, so if they really want something, thats where they will go to get it. Pontiac and rochester are neighbors, only minutes away.

If money is a problem for you, as it is for me, try reloading. Yesterday I took back some pop cans and some change, managed to scrape together around $5 something. Went to bass pro, and picked up a pack of primers, now Im sitting on a hundred rounds for the .40. The other day, I bought a hundred rounds for the p-22 for 10$.

Does somewhere offer classes on how to do reloading?

stainless1911
07-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Bass Pro does them on occasion. I would be happy to get you up to speed as well.

mustangman95gt
07-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Bass Pro does them on occasion. I would be happy to get you up to speed as well.

I may have to take you up on that. I honestly would love to have a 40 or 45 as my first. I mainly shoot a S&W 45 out here. I am pretty dead on with that thing. Hoping my cousin might want to do a hand-me-down. Who knows though because he loves his guns.

His collection was 100 pistols, 40 rifles and 40 shotguns. He was in the Army, then did Cowboy action, and he recently "downsized" to about 60 pistols, 30 rifles and 20 shotguns.

stainless1911
07-11-2011, 12:38 PM
If you plan on casting your own lead bullets, (saves a fortune), or think that you might someday, then go with a .45. The .40 and the 9 are both a pain in the @$$.

I picked up 50 pounds of wheel weights for 25 dollars the other day. I can get almost 40 .40cal out of a pound. Thats about 2,000 rounds. I sometimes use a bullet trap, so some of these rounds get used again and again. There was recently a sale on midwayusa.com, for once fired .40 brass, they wanted around 45$ for 1,000 cases.

mustangman95gt
07-11-2011, 12:44 PM
If you plan on casting your own lead bullets, (saves a fortune), or think that you might someday, then go with a .45. The .40 and the 9 are both a pain in the @$$.

I picked up 50 pounds of wheel weights for 25 dollars the other day. I can get almost 40 .40cal out of a pound. Thats about 2,000 rounds. I sometimes use a bullet trap, so some of these rounds get used again and again. There was recently a sale on midwayusa.com, for once fired .40 brass, they wanted around 45$ for 1,000 cases.

Nice! I say until we get together and I learn how to reload, I may just come to you with money for ammo!

stainless1911
07-11-2011, 12:50 PM
lol,

You might go here : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php?, theres a lot to learn, and IMO its the single best place to go for reloading info.

mustangman95gt
07-12-2011, 12:02 PM
lol,

You might go here : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php?, theres a lot to learn, and IMO its the single best place to go for reloading info.

I have a lot of things to learn. I used to play on a paintball tournament team so I could take apart my gun and clean it in less than 10 minutes. I assume a handgun or rifle will be somewhat the same. Wherever I buy from I would want them to show me how to take it apart and clean it properly.

From what I have heard, cleaning depends on the ammo you use. If I buy a 525 box or remington, I should clean my gun after the range every time but if I buy CCI I could go longer without a clean?

stainless1911
07-12-2011, 12:17 PM
You'll have to make those decisions yourself. Some ammo is better, some worse. Some people say that your SD weapon should be immaculate, I personally like to keep a gun that will take a little dirt and keep going. If it functions properly, every time, and the dirt isnt causing undue wear, there is no need to clean it. With my M1A, the manufacturer actually discourages you from taking it apart and cleaning it until it needs it. Many shooters claim that some fouling actually improves accuracy.

The most important thing, besides reliability, is cleaning it properly. Each gun is a little different. Some guns want grease, the M1A for example, some like dry lubes, my XD doesnt function reliably with oil or grease in the striker assembly, you have to use powdered graphite in there. With oil, it will give light strikes, and wont fire every time. I use oil on the springs and pivots, and grease on the slide rails, and anywhere that the black is worn from friction. I trust that gun with my life.

mustangman95gt
07-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Any other input on guns.

Anyone own or use a Walther P22, Browning Buckmark, S&W 22a, Ruger Mark III. Pros and Cons?

stainless1911
07-13-2011, 04:13 PM
I have a P-22, nice little gun, a great plinker. Not for self defense though. Has a couple bugs to work out, google "P-22 bible" and you'll get a great PDF showing everything you need to know about this great little gun.

mustangman95gt
07-19-2011, 10:35 PM

stainless, pm me what you would charge for some .45 and if you reload any 9mm or know anyone that does?

stainless1911
07-19-2011, 11:01 PM
IIRC, that would be illegal. Besides, right now Im only set up to reload .40.

You can get into it for a couple hundred dollars, these tools pay for themselves VERY quickly. A set of LEE dies, a bullet puller a reloading manual, and either a single stage press, or a hand press is all you need to get started.

LEE dies are around 30$, the bullet puller is around 20$, a manual, about 25$, a single stage press is about 60 t0 80$, and the LEE hand press is around 30$. Primers are 5$/100, and powder is about 25 to 30/lb. You'll get around a thousand rounds out of a pound can.

go to midway USA for your tools, buy primer and powder in person to avoid hazmat fees, and go to castboolits.com if you want to learn about reloading.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php?