PDA

View Full Version : H.S. class for 8 year old

Quaamik
03-05-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm trying to find a Hunters Safety class for my 8 year old daughter. She is mature enough that my wife and I are considering giving her her first gun either for her ninth birthday or Christmas. However, I want her to go through hunters safety first.

I looked at the one offered in Novi, but I don't think her interest will be captured for two 6 hour days. Ideally I'm looking for something broken up into shorte class periods, or shorter overall ( I seem to remember my hunters safety only taking 5 hours total).

karcent
03-06-2006, 08:22 AM
My opinion: Nothing will turn an 8 year old off faster than having her sit thru a hunters safety class.
BORING.
And she'll learn next to nothing about safe gun handling.

Fiddler
03-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Jeff,

Actually, I don't know about the other hunter safety classes, but we emphasize the safe gun handling a lot, as well as giving the kids a lot of hands on time with the guns. As for the length, 12 hours is pretty average. I've seen some go for 14. However, you know your daughter, and if you don't feel the long sessions are quite right for her right now, that's understandable. Why don't you bring her out to the gun club, and I'll work with her one on one and give her a good foundation and understanding of safety and basic shooting principles. We can make it fun!

Also, don't forget about the Family Firearms Day at the Howell Gun Club on May 20. It's a great opportuntiy for the kids to come out and learn to shoot .22 pistols and rifles, plus we teach the child safety class. It's a great time!

karcent
03-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Karen, I'm glad to hear that you emphasize firearm handling and use in your HS classes.
I have sat thru 3 different HS classes and there was very little useful info or hands on with firearms.
I watched kids doze off over and over again.
Not all classes or instructors are created equal.

Fiddler
03-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Very true, Kurt. I believe that's the case with any class. This brings up an important question, though. This is not the first time I've read about young girls who need firearm safety training and/or some shooting fundamentals, but maybe the hunter safety class is not necessarily appropriate for them. Would anyone be interested in a basic introduction to firearms for young girls? Would there be enough interest? If not, one for youngsters in general? I'd be happy to put one one.
Let me know what you think.

Quaamik
03-06-2006, 08:03 PM
I'd definately be interested, whether for just girls or youngsters in general.

And thanks, Karen, for the one on one offer.

I've taught my daughter basic gun safety (she knows the 4 rules, but not verbatum). She's had practice shooting a spring action soft air pistol and a spring action bb gun, as well as a very small amount of trigger time (about 10 shots) with a Ruger Mark II. What I would like for her is a bit more formal safety teaching and a little more in depth firearms familerization / shooting fundementals.

I'm not wedded to the "hunters safety" course, it just happened to be my first introduction to anything firearm related.

Where is the Howell gun club?

Fiddler
03-06-2006, 10:58 PM
I'm not wedded to the "hunters safety" course, it just happened to be my first introduction to anything firearm related.

Where is the Howell gun club?

That's what led me to offer a different class. You're not the first person to express that sentiment to me. Hunter's Safety is important. Obvioulsy I think so, or I wouldn't be teaching it, but obviously not everyone who wants to shoot wants to go out and hunt, so it doesn't suit everyone's needs. If you want to take your child to shoot at some of the indoor ranges, they want your child to have a certificate showing they've had formal training and know about firearm safety.(No argument, there.) Naturally, the first thing everyone thinks of is Hunter Safety, but it isn't necessarily for everyone, and if you don't intend to take your child out hunting, I think there could be other options. The Family Firearms day in May is a great introduction to shooting, reinforcement of firearm safety, and it's lots of fun. I think a class could also be a good thing in addition to that.

The Howell Gun Club is located at 3210 Jewell Road, Howell, MI 48844. Here's a link to a map you can download and print as well.

http://www.howellgunclub.org/index.php?cat=15

Quaamik
04-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Did you get any response on the class?

If not, I'm still interested in setting up one for my daughter (1 on 1 or with other kids if their is interest).

Please e-mail me. jcolonne@flash.net

Fiddler
04-01-2006, 05:32 PM
No, not a lot of interest I guess, but I'd be happy to work with your daughter.