PDA

View Full Version : BP Revolver BOOM! Barrel shoots off (pics)

Greggos
07-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Pulled back the trigger and kaboom...away went the barrel! The end of the cylinder pin(?) broke away and took the barrel with it. Other than getting a spray of pyrodex in the face, all fine. Still: Factory defect? Overloading by a previous owner?
I've had more than a few of these pistols, nothing even close to a failure until now.

Mike in Michigan
07-11-2011, 06:40 AM
The cylinder pin will stretch with hot loading and/or many, many rounds. The punch marks at the front of the wedge slot indicate someone tried to "tighten" it up. The punch marks, combined with the natural stress risers of the wedge hole corners created points where cracks could not only form, but form quickly. One crack in the metal, and one crack from firing, and the rest is history. Have a competent gunsmith inspect it. The cylinder pin can be replaced and the revolver returned to service.

Greggos
07-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Nice catch on the punch marks Mike, I saw them but didn't "see" them, Maybe this is one of the reasons the Remington design is more popular (safer?) In any event, I'll do a bit of 'smith hunting.
Thanks for your note.

Dabears!
07-18-2011, 08:00 AM
colts have a weaker frame due to open top, they do however have the most powerful BP revolver on the market.
the walker.
but for normal sized guns and high power look to remington or a ruger new army, the rugers are TOUGH SOBS