PDA

View Full Version : Gun from car to house, etc...

Smithc11369
07-08-2011, 07:43 PM
I have a CPL and I was wondering what the law states about carrying a gun from my car to my house, a friends house, etc. Sometimes I like to carry my gun in my glove box and then bring it in the house after I come home. Is it legal to just carry it in the holster from my car to my house? Or should I put it in a bag or something first before transporting it?

Tyler
07-08-2011, 09:00 PM
You have a CPL, you can carry it in a holster.

A CPL doesn't JUST grant you the right to carry a firearm loaded in your car.

Tyler
07-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Even if you didn't, you are on your own property, and can carry however you'd like.

shurhouse
07-08-2011, 09:57 PM
I have a CPL and I was wondering what the law states about carrying a gun from my car to my house, a friends house, etc. Sometimes I like to carry my gun in my glove box and then bring it in the house after I come home. Is it legal to just carry it in the holster from my car to my house?

Yes

Or should I put it in a bag or something first before transporting it?

Only if you don't want your neighbors to know you are taking in a firearm. No legal reason you have to.

jrjg9r
07-08-2011, 10:15 PM
YES HE YOU CAN HAVE A LOADED GUN IN YOUR CAR IF YOU HAVE YOUR CPL!!!!!!!!!!

You have a CPL, you can carry it in a holster.

A CPL doesn't JUST grant you the right to carry a firearm loaded in your car.

45 acp
07-09-2011, 06:41 AM
I have a CPL and I was wondering what the law states about carrying a gun from my car to my house, a friends house, etc. Sometimes I like to carry my gun in my glove box and then bring it in the house after I come home. Is it legal to just carry it in the holster from my car to my house? Or should I put it in a bag or something first before transporting it?
Yes it is legal
"Or should I put it in a bag or something first before transporting it?"
Only if you are concerened about neighbors seeing you with a holstered gun in your hand.
The only concern I would have is if I did not know my neighbors and one of them called the cops and said you were out in the driveway waving a gun around. This could be a hassel as it would be a he said she said type of thing for a possable brandishing charge.

tech2b9
07-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Is this a joke?

Tyler
07-09-2011, 10:07 AM
YES HE YOU CAN HAVE A LOADED GUN IN YOUR CAR IF YOU HAVE YOUR CPL!!!!!!!!!!

I know that, I was saying that it wasn't the only perk of having a cpl. He can carry it also.

Dabears!
07-09-2011, 10:43 AM
who did your cpl class you should know this before applying for a CPL

ChaneyD
07-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Strange all the questions being asked from CPL holders as to how they can carry. Were they sleeping in class?

Big_Jim
07-09-2011, 01:04 PM
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Deadman2000
07-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Strange all the questions being asked from CPL holders as to how they can carry. Were they sleeping in class?

I think you give to much credit to some of the teachers out there. I learned more from my buddies cpl class (things he told me) than my own.

Dabears!
07-09-2011, 02:21 PM
i dunno about the OP
he has 4 posts but his history only shows this one...

TangoDown3727
07-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Is this a joke?

:yeahthat: ???

HOSS48604
09-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Come on guys! There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

richardj
09-07-2011, 11:14 AM
what did you say i was sleeping, i should have paid attention
this guy cant be serious ,hell its even legal to open carry in most places
someone needs to do some homework

Dynoguy
09-20-2011, 07:19 PM
I haven't posted here before, but have to add that just because someone took a cpl course doesn't mean it was actually useful. I took one and yes I paid attention through the whole thing.

I've been around long guns my whole life, but the hand gun thing was new to me, so I took the NRA basic safety course first (which was very good for me even though most was a refresher) I went to the range and practiced for a few months then I took the cpl course..... what a disaster. Half of the class had never shot a handgun before, the first 1/2-1/3 was basically just the basic pistol course all over again (which I thought people should already know but it had some stumped) I had a lady next to me grab the plastic practice pistol with both thumbs behind the slide to which my buddy promptly corrected her.

I always thought that the cpl course was for people who actually had shot before but I guess I was wrong. I've learned a lot more from people I know, one of whom has all the prerequisites for teaching the course but hasn't been certified yet, about the laws, and what to do/not do. I just needed that piece of paper.

ChaneyD
09-20-2011, 07:27 PM
When I took the course July the year it finally became law, my instructor stated in his ad for the the class that you MUST be somewhat knowledgeable with handguns or you couldn't take the class. Don't know back then if that was HIS rule or the legal rule. 2 people raised their hands when asked if anyone had never fired a handgun before and were then dismissed. It should still be the rule. CPL instructors should NOT be teaching anyone the functions of a firearm nor the use of one. Safety, sure, but not how.

..DETROIT..
09-21-2011, 07:45 AM
I also had to endure a dumbed down cpl course. The majority of individuals there had also never fired a gun. The range time was the worst part. The guy in the lane next to mine didn't know how to load a semi-auto pistol. There was another guy who got bit pretty bad by his slide, and a woman who couldn't hit the target until it was moved to about 20 feet away. To say I was leary of getting plugged at anytime would be an understatement.

ka64
09-21-2011, 07:59 AM
I know that, I was saying that it wasn't the only perk of having a cpl. He can carry it also.

I understood you.......

eightbit
09-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Some CPL classes are teaching once you get a CPL you have to conceal to the point that if you accidently show your gun you can get arrested for brandishing.

My CPL class was next to useless, it was the bare minimum required by law if that.

Michigan is an open carry state, there are less restrictions on open carry than on concealed carry. Most of the places you can't conceal carry into can be open carried into IF you have a CPL. Google "miopencarry", I can't post links because I have less than 10 posts.

As others have said on your private property your pretty much allowed to do what you want. I wouldn't be waving it around in the air if I were you but mostly anything short of that should be ok. Be careful on public property or on friends property. On the friends you should be ok as long as they don't object but you need to be careful handling it in public because you could get a brandishing charge. CPL classes should definately be teaching this stuff and some are, most are just out to make a buck.

paramaster
10-11-2011, 02:37 PM
You have a CPL, you can conceal to move about or open carry (no CPL needed for this). As stated before if your concerned about someone seeing you take you pistol into your or a friends house you can conceal, put it in a holster, bag, or other method to hide it.

FYI - - - - brandishing, tr.v. 1. To waive or flourish (a weapon for example) menacingly 2. a menacing or defiant wave or flourish

Notice the word 'menacing' if you simply carry a pistol in your hand you are not 'brandishing'! If a passerby has a problem with seeing your pistol it's 'their' problem.

Jerbear1098
10-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Just remember one thing about your friends house. If anyone that lives in that house doesn't want you carrying, you need to put it away or go off the property. I have a friend that doesn't care, but his wife is paranoid. I don't carry in their house. And she checks my holster.

Needless to say, I don't go over there too much anymore.

Just sayin....

Daniels
10-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Just remember one thing about your friends house. If anyone that lives in that house doesn't want you carrying, you need to put it away or go off the property. I have a friend that doesn't care, but his wife is paranoid. I don't carry in their house. And she checks my holster.

Just sayin....

I wouldn't say anyone living in the house. I'm guessing it'd have to be who's on the deed or lease?

Venator12
10-11-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm sure he's worried that it may be brandishing. Come on guys. You know how some CPL instructors scare the hell out of students by harping on about if anyone see your gun it's brandishing.

DBL Tap
10-11-2011, 03:21 PM

The last 3 or 4 hours of my cpl class had least 5 people that were sleeping:wtf:

eightbit
10-12-2011, 08:07 AM
The last 3 or 4 hours of my cpl class had least 5 people that were sleeping:wtf:
In my CPL class they sent us out to shoot in groups of 4 while the instructor was talking. On my way to the range (dirt pile behind the pole barn) I asked my brother(he took the class with me) if the stuff the instructor was talking about while we were out there was important?

Then the guy at the dirt pile asked why we were in a hurry to get back inside, wasn't being outside better than sitting inside listening to his dad? :doh:

langenc
10-15-2011, 08:45 PM

Maybe they had one of the 'questionable' instructors that have been pointed out in the last week or so.

Leader
10-16-2011, 08:54 AM

Just sayin....

I think I would tell the wife that women in clothes scares me & she isn't allowed to wear any at MY house.

G-lock
10-16-2011, 11:51 AM

Just sayin....

You should ask to check her holster, to make sure she's not a prostitute, since she has all the eqiupment and it might be used it for illegal activities. Clearly the mere presence of a vagina is proof of prostitution, since she so fears that your gun is dangerous, evil or prone to spontaneous crime. Many more vaginas have commited crimes than any of my weapons...

majorgibson
10-20-2011, 08:02 PM
I live in Detroit (gun needed) and with your cpl , you can carry your gun from your car to your house , friend's home or anyone else home. I recommend you have it in your holster or in the belt holster!

jmacsyodaddy
10-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Yes you can

AbsoluteCPL
11-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Having your CPL allows you to take your gun with you to most places, but to be clear you should get in contact with your CPL instructor. It sounds like your were left with many unanswered questions. You may also go to your local Sheriff's office to get form R1-012 Concealed Pistol License Guide. On the back of the form is a list of pistol free zones. You may also call Absolute CPL Training at 810 433-0707 and I'll answer what ever I can for you.

Carrying your gun should make you feel better not full of doubt

dougwg
11-05-2011, 08:47 AM
While going from the car to my house I balance my gun on my head.