PDA

View Full Version : Officers' joke turns painful

Knimrod
03-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Officers' joke turns painful
March 07, 2006
CHAD LIVENGOOD
THE SAGINAW NEWS

MOUNT PLEASANT -- Officer David VanDyke likely will never again hand a fellow policeman his revolver and utter the words "shoot me."

Superiors disciplined VanDyke and Officer Ronald Langworthy after an investigation of a Feb. 21 incident in which VanDyke "jokingly" handed Langworthy his gun and asked him to pull the trigger.

Thinking the gun wasn't loaded, Langworthy shot VanDyke in the foot.

Isabella County Prosecutor Larry Burdick decided not to file criminal charges after state police concurred with an internal probe.

"The filing of any criminal charges would be inappropriate and unsustainable," Burdick said. "VanDyke blamed the incident on himself."

VanDyke remains on light duty as he recovers.

Both officers, who have a combined 29 years of service, apparently forgot "some of the rules to gun safety, such as, never give someone a loaded gun, and always assume a gun is loaded," Burdick said.

When Langworthy discharged the gun, he believed it would shoot "blank" or "simunition," officials said.

"I did issue disciplinary action to both of the officers," said Police Chief Bill Yeagley. "Both officers are extremely remorseful for the accident."

Yeagley declined to specify the punishment.

The incident took place in the department's squad room.

Link to story (http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1141741300159300.xml?sanews?NESP&coll=9)

WhoIsJohnGalt
03-09-2006, 04:40 AM
:shake:

That's why Andy took away Barney's bullet.

Beretta151
03-09-2006, 06:45 AM
I think i'd have been the one to say over and over again how police officers get a bad rap, but honestly These people are cops .... i'll tell you i look at some of the students studying criminal justice at ferris state and i'm like wait them a cop hard to belive some people get a gun let alone a badge oh well i'm sure he learned a very valuable lesson that being don't be a Dumb@$$...

Just my Two Cents

Batman
03-09-2006, 02:46 PM
.....never give someone a loaded gun, and always assume a gun is loaded,"

How about never take a gun unless you know it's unloaded!!!

Now repete after me Officer Langworthy (The first rule of gun safety)...

The gun is always loaded!

So who is supposed to protect us from our protectors?

karcent
03-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Are police supposed to protect us?
There job is to write a report.

woody1960
03-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Well you know what they say...

"Stupid Hurts" :roll:

Tank
03-09-2006, 09:36 PM
:smoke:

I'm just speechless.

Cherokee
03-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Here is one that I dont think was ever reported in any news account. I know of a 2 Clare County Officer's who where showing off thier " Fast Draw ". One of them shot himself in the leg during his exibition. I have heard he might even lose his leg over it. Sad.....

Beretta151
03-12-2006, 04:39 AM
what is it with these officers just because they have a badge and a gun doesn't mean they can be morons about the gun... sadly it's all concentrated in this area the next county over ... haven't heard about either one till now