PDA

View Full Version : Crime imbalance

Knimrod
03-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Crime imbalance
March 09, 2006
The Saginaw News

Violent crime is so bad in Saginaw, Bay City's criminals are afraid to ply their crooked trade here.

Unfortunately, that's not the punch line to a bad joke.

It's what a deputy chief in the Bay City Police Department told The Bay City Times in an article Feb. 22 about the crime problem in the South End of Bay City. Saginaw County Prosecutor Mike Thomas related that shameful news nugget to Saginaw City Council members Monday night.

Not only are Bay City's thugs and gangs a bunch of pikers, the deputy chief said "drug dealers are forced almost to come to Bay City to sell their drugs because buyers won't go to Saginaw."

Thomas was stressing the notion that crime knows no boundaries -- and that Saginaw citizens have a responsibility to attack the city's violent crime epidemic.

Nine weeks into the year, guns have killed seven people and wounded another 19 in the city. Saginaw City Councilman William J. Federspiel, a Saginaw Township cop by day, emphasized the number is almost three gun victims per week.

"We need to get our city back from the criminals," he said.

And make no mistake. When crooks in other towns are afraid of Saginaw's violence, when it's too risky for drug users to feed their addictions here, there's little question who controls the streets.

Link to story (http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1141914118272790.xml?sanews?NESE&coll=9)

WOLVERINE
03-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Most of this started when G.M. pulled the auto jobs out of Saginaw. I was born and raised there and I lived two houses away from the police officer in the story. When crime in the city started to climb his family moved to the township to get away from it. When I was in junior high, at South Intermediate School we had 3 armed and in uniform sherrifs deputy's patrolling the halls. Yes I said armed. That was back in the 80's and it took them this long to figure out they have a crime problem, well it will be another 20 years or so before they figure out what to do about it. What a shame, now I know why I never go back there to visit. Looks to me like their trying to bump Flint and Detroit off the top of the murder list.(no pun intended)

glockgirl
03-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Most of this started when G.M. pulled the auto jobs out of Saginaw. I was born and raised there and I lived two houses away from the police officer in the story. When crime in the city started to climb his family moved to the township to get away from it. When I was in junior high, at South Intermediate School we had 3 armed and in uniform sherrifs deputy's patrolling the halls. Yes I said armed. That was back in the 80's and it took them this long to figure out they have a crime problem, well it will be another 20 years or so before they figure out what to do about it. What a shame, now I know why I never go back there to visit. Looks to me like their trying to bump Flint and Detroit off the top of the murder list.(no pun intended)

You know I grew up in Flint and then moved to Saginaw when I was 19 to get away from the crime. Then to A2-7 years ago. My best friend still lives there and she shakes her head that I didn't know that Saginaw had gotten so bad. My friend thinks she may have gone to school with you. Can you private message me and tell me your name? We're just curious...?

woody1960
03-12-2006, 04:28 PM
I also grew up in Saginaw," WOlVERINE" is my younger brother,by 8 years.I must say when I grew up there it was the best,we didnt even lock our doors{home or cars} but some where in the 80s-90s it went south fast.I havent lived there for 25 years.My best friend still lives in the same block we grew up in and tells me what its like all the time when we visit.Its just ashame.Although most of the crime is on the east side, it has carried over to the west.He said the schools are real bad now to.Maybe the new Mayor will help,we'll see.

45 acp
03-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Woody what high school did you go to ? My uncle was a teacher at Arthur Hill in the 70's
I hated visiting Saginaw even back then.

woody1960
03-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Arthur Hill.Class of 78. :| Man was that a long time ago or what!
The west side was the best side.