PDA

View Full Version : Stack On 8 Gun Cabinet

M&P15
07-14-2011, 05:43 PM
I bought it from Walmart and had it shipped to my house. For $95 I figured it was worth a shot. Now, just to be clear this is not a safe. It will not protect anything from fire, water, or a burglar with a screwdriver. It's designed to keep small fingers away from danger.

Opening up the box, it seemed like it was well finished. The paint has a pretty nice shine. After looking over the parts a little more closely, I was soon disappointed by the packaging from the factory. There is a large 2" dent in one of the side and some scrapes in the paint. Two of the corners were bent over like it had been dropped. I'm not sure if this was poor handling by Stack On, Walmart, Or Fedex but either way it is not packaged appropriately for shipping.

Assembly went OK. You WILL scratch it and I had to bang the pieces together to get them to fit. It just isn't designed to fit like a glove. I was also disappointed with the shelf that is mounted near the top. It is so narrow that the only thing you are going to be able to store on it is a box of ammo and some magazines. I had assumed it would fit my hand guns but it's only about 3" wide. Maybe that's my fault for assuming but I figured it would be the length and width of the cabinet.

What I do like about it is that it was $95. It came out of the box with dents and scratches but it's going in my closet anyway. If you want a cabinet that looks pristine, find something else. If you just need a place to lock up your guns, it's not bad.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-8-Gun-Security-Cabinet/11071333?sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11071333#ProductDetail

JohnJak
07-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Dings and dents should have been discovered upon delivery from transporter. Always open package in front of the driver to make sure the goods were not damaged.

M&P15
07-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Dings and dents should have been discovered upon delivery from transporter. Always open package in front of the driver to make sure the goods were not damaged.

Agreed. But it's tough to do when they drop it off at your front door.

RifleGuy
07-20-2011, 11:52 PM

Agreed. But it's tough to do when they drop it off at your front door.
I ordered a desk for my kid that came in a flat-pack. It was a rather heavy package, and showed considerable damage. I asked the UPS driver to wait a moment while I inspected the contents; he laughed and told me, "That's what you get for ordering something so heavy!" He walked back to his truck and drove away.

The contents were damaged, UPS essentially told me 'tough luck', but the manufacturer sent me replacement pieces at no cost.

Inspecting with the driver present may not be a real benefit in some instances.

jmanz6
07-21-2011, 05:39 AM
Generally for residential deliveries the driver could care less and won't hang out. For business deliveries, especially when you have a UPS account and they pick up from you everyday, they will stick around and make sure it's all good. Not that he cares any more, just that he knows he can't escape you since he will be back the next day and the day after that and so on.

MLG
07-21-2011, 09:14 AM
I have daily deliveries and I am on good terms with all the drivers (FedEx, UPS and of course the good ol' USP) but if you think you are going to get one of them to hang around for you to inspect the contents... Good luck with that.

I would call Walmart, I'm pretty sure you would get a replacement cabinet.

I have the 14 gun version and it's okay and serves the purpose for what it's intended.

Porter
07-21-2011, 09:42 AM
I ordered a desk for my kid that came in a flat-pack. It was a rather heavy package, and showed considerable damage. I asked the UPS driver to wait a moment while I inspected the contents; he laughed and told me, "That's what you get for ordering something so heavy!" He walked back to his truck and drove away.

The contents were damaged, UPS essentially told me 'tough luck', but the manufacturer sent me replacement pieces at no cost.

Inspecting with the driver present may not be a real benefit in some instances.

shippng carriers don't care for **** about your package.

I used to get large pallets of product from Georgia, and the shipping company (Churchill) didn't care that the contents came off the pallet, and rolled around the entire truck.....sometimes as a whole unit as it was shrink wrapped. 85 boxes are beat to hell.....and all he said was "Good luck collecting from Churchill" and laughs and gets back in and leaves.

I called the company.....and asked to speak to his supervisor..........turns out....THAT WAS the supervisor!

A few years later, the company went on strike. The owners sat around and said they had done this long enough, and decided to close up and sell all the assets, and they all retired to a nice comfy life.

I couldn't stop smiling.

:D