PDA

View Full Version : This Year's Most Important Congressional Primary

Knimrod
03-14-2006, 09:08 PM
This Year's Most Important Congressional Primary
By Hans Zeiger
MichNews.com
Mar 14, 2006

The most important Congressional primary election this year takes place in Michigan’s Seventh District. There a liberal represents one of the most conservative regions in the country. The liberal Congressman calls himself a Republican, in a place where words still mean something. His name is Joe Schwarz.

The first time I saw Joe Schwarz was in a six-way Congressional debate at Hillsdale College. Republicans in the district made the mistake in 2004 of tolerating five generally qualified conservatives to run up against Mr. Schwarz and each other in the primary election. At the debate, Schwarz defended his pro-abortion position and his endorsement of universal health care. Those positions don’t resonate with the people of Michigan’s Seventh District. So the five conservatives pulled in 72 percent among themselves, handing victory to Mr. Schwarz with only 28 percent.

Needless to say, Joe Schwarz has been a disappointment.

The National Taxpayers Union recently assigned Mr. Schwarz one of the lowest ratings of any Republican in Congress. The median score for members of Congress is 48 percent. Schwarz earns a 47 percent or C- for his record on taxes and spending. According to the NTU, Schwarz’s rating “represents a minimally acceptable voting record on controlling taxes and spending.”

After Hurricane Katrina, Schwarz spoke of undoing the Bush tax cuts to finance the hurricane cleanup. He supported the $223 million “Bridge to Nowhere” in Alaska, part of the gargantuan Highway Bill. He voted to fund the terribly unnecessary Corporation for Public Broadcasting and the equally unnecessary National Endowment for the Arts. He even voted to federally finance the purchase of impotency drugs. Cutting spending does not seem an option to Mr. Schwarz. A little 1 percent spending cut proposal was met with his big no vote.

Schwarz’s record on private property issues is horrendous. After the Supreme Court’s Kelo decision that expanded eminent domain powers, Schwarz opposed a bill to protect private property rights. While the size and power of government has grown, individual ownership has become increasingly insecure. Joe Schwarz is actively helping to perpetuate that insecurity.

Gun Owners of America gives Schwarz a puny 50 percent rating (even though Schwarz represents a major hunting and outdoors constituency). Schwarz pulls in a mere 60 percent rating from Eagle Forum, and a 62 percent rating from Fa mily Research Council. Schwarz is one of the few Republicans who stands against a federal Marriage Amendment. He voted in favor of John Conyers’ bill that would deliver special punishments for so-called hate crimes.

Enough about Schwarz. He will likely be one of the few Congressional incumbents defeated in a primary election this year. He simply doesn’t represent his district.

Schwarz’s primary opponent is Tim Walberg. Walberg served for sixteen years in the Michigan House of Representatives, where he never voted to raise taxes and battled against existing taxes and spending. Even when other Republicans favored sin taxes, Walberg kept his principles. He devoted himself to the Michigan State Constitution and knew it through. He voted without exception to protect human life, and the National Rifle Association gave him it’s A+ rating. Walberg has been a pastor and community activist, and he understands the values and priorities of Michigan’s Seventh District.

Club for Growth, Michigan Right to Life, and Citizens for Traditional Values have endorsed Walberg. Supporters see in him a rare combination of principle, character, and constitutionalism that is desperately needed in Congress.

Walberg ran for Congress in 2004, the year Joe Schwarz won. In the same debate I mentioned earlier, Walberg was asked whether he might be too conservative. He replied that if being conservative means being pro-life, supporting the traditional family, and fighting for smaller government and lower taxes, why, he was guilty as charged.

So we need Tim Walberg in Congress. In the most important of Congressional primaries this year, Tim Walberg needs national support. Joe Schwarz needs to be expelled from Congress. Visit www.walbergforcongress.com.

Link to story (http://www.michnews.com/artman/publish/article_12093.shtml)

Dan
03-14-2006, 11:31 PM
This is an easy choice for gun owners. Joe's gotta go.

Barbara
03-15-2006, 06:37 AM
Yep, for sure. Joe is not a friend of gun owners, although he's made some noises this time around in Congress (I think he signed onto the DC Self-defense bill and National CCW.) but he's never made a secret of his disdain for regular folks wanting to carry. He told me once he had no problem with people in his district doing it (because he wanted their votes!) but no one in Wayne County should be toting a gun at all.

Tim Walberg is a little further to the right on a lot of social issues than I'm comfortable with, but he's a good guy and between the two, there's no choice.

I am happy to see the Club for Growth and RTL have already made their endorsements. Last year, one supported Smith and one supported Bisbee, and the other endorsements were divvied up between the other candidates and Schwarz won by default.

appliancebrad
03-15-2006, 09:30 AM
The problem is that the city of Battle Creek where Schwarz was mayor has enough votors to carry the 7th. Walberg has to turn out his base in huge numbers in the primary. Lots' of Dems came out and voted for him in the last primary and if there is no big contest in their party, they will again. Ti'ms got a tough race ahead of him. Also new IRS rules will hinder his efforts. Two years ago, Walberg was guest speaker/pastor at scores of churches. He spoke at numerous events. The IRS has issued new rules that basically say if a church allows this, they must give equal time to his opponent(s).

It will be an interesting campaign.

wwjmaj
03-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Joe certainly is a politician. I just went to his website after reading this article and he not only has a quote supporting the 2nd Amendment, he has a lengthy statement of his support for the bill banning manufacturer liability and DC right to carry....unfortunately those of us in the 7th MUST REMEMBER his actions in the past and not his current words!
Tim Walberg was my representative in the State House for many years. His ACTIVE SUPPORT is proven. Tim is a life NRA member and a permanent vote for our issues. Tim and I have not always agreed but his deeds and words match and have ALWAYS been consistent. NOT SO JOE!

It is time for change in the 7th!

Barbara
03-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Joe is NOT a friend of gun owners.

You should have been at the meeting in Jackson where Jordan Benzing kicked his butt in a disgreement about assault rifles. Pretty impressive. Jordo was what? 14?