PDA

View Full Version : Braided fishing line?

Daniels
07-18-2011, 12:52 PM
I've always been a mono user but over the last few years I've grown to hate it. I got some highly recommended and reviewed Sufix mono a couple months back and used it for the first time this past weekend. I'd say I had maybe 4 hours total TOPS of fishing on it. Maybe an hour of casting and 3 hours of using a bobber and worm. This stuff just did not work well for me. It knotted up so freaking easy it ticked me off. I've never had line do that while just still fishing. The other mono I was using, Berkley I think, held up much better but still got twisted and knotted after a few days of casting.

I'm really interested in trying some braided line. For those of you that use it do you get the line twist and knots with it?

p.s. I use a spinner reel 95% of the time.

miked
07-18-2011, 01:01 PM
I love Spider Wire.

I've never had issues with twisting or knotting. The lines does seem to soften up over time, it seemed really stiff when I first put it on. If you go too long it will start to fray, at least mine did, that was my sign to replace it.

Daniels
07-18-2011, 01:07 PM
I love Spider Wire.

I've never had issues with twisting or knotting. The lines does seem to soften up over time, it seemed really stiff when I first put it on. If you go too long it will start to fray, at least mine did, that was my sign to replace it.

Thanks Mike!

About how long would you say yours lasted? I was changing my mono once a year but was told braided would go a few seasons.

TomE
07-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Until it frays ,it depends if you leave it out in the sun ,how often you use it . I used it for 5 years and took it off for mono.Its great for whipping ,as the line cuts through the water easier per # rate because its thinner ,you can use less bass sinker. The only issue I experienced is that sometimes while trolling ,walleyes stay away ,because maybe the braid makes a different noise going through the water .I used 115# Gorilla Braid for Sturgeon by Johnny Lega's ,20# Spider for bass ,perch and walleye . It will cut your hands ,so don't lift a wiggling fish out of the water by the line,unless you have good gloves on.It will wear your pole guides also ,unless your have Spider Proof Guides

Daniels
07-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks Tom!

miked
07-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks Mike!

About how long would you say yours lasted? I was changing my mono once a year but was told braided would go a few seasons.

Not sure exactly, I had it on for many years, but I don't make it out that often (4-5 weekends a year). I'm guessing I had more damage from sun exposure and time then actual wear from fishing use.

I never noticed wear on the equipment from it. I use the 20# test line.

Daniels
07-18-2011, 01:46 PM
I think I'm going to use 20 pound if I go braided as well. I use 8-10 now but 20 would be great if I could use it and have it be super thin.

zigziggityzoo
07-18-2011, 01:48 PM
I use 8lb braided spider wire for the light fishing I do (10-12 times a summer, lots more casting than catching!). Two years in and it's working strong ever still.

miked
07-18-2011, 01:51 PM
I think I'm going to use 20 pound if I go braided as well. I use 8-10 now but 20 would be great if I could use it and have it be super thin.

Per my experience after a few trips out the 20 pound line softens a bit (more flexible, not stretchy) and makes casting smaller light panfish baits easier.

Daniels
07-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks again guys.

I think my problem, or one of my problems LOL, is that I want a line that I can use for anything from catching some bluegill on worms to casting for bass and pike. I think I'm going to give braided a try and see how it goes. I sort of really want to try this new Sufix 832 line but it's expensive. Spiderwire was actually the one I was leaning toward just because I used to fish with a guy that used it a lot and he never had the problems of line twist we would all get after a day of trolling.

Toledo Kid
07-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Don't waste your time unless you are going upwards or 35# with a mono leader and need a smaller diameter line.

Just stick with Mono. Knots tie and hold better. Plus the cast of Mono is smoother and farther.
Ande, Spiderwire and Trilene you will find the best.

C-SqIsZaE6s

miked
07-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Spiderwire was actually the one I was leaning toward just because I used to fish with a guy that used it a lot and he never had the problems of line twist we would all get after a day of trolling.

Have you tried just using high quality swivels? That can help a lot with line twist as well.

Daniels
07-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Don't waste your time unless you are going upwards or 35# and need a smaller diameter line.

Just stick with Mono.
Ande, Spiderwire and Trilene you will fines the best.

C-SqIsZaE6s

Well one plus, I think, to braided is it is abrasive resistant a lot more than mono. Another problem I have is we fish Fletcher's Pond and it's all stumps and heavy heavy cover and your line will get worn down fast there.

Daniels
07-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Have you tried just using high quality swivels? That can help a lot with line twist as well.

You know, I stopped using those cheapo gold colored swivels a couple of years back and went to these more expensive black ones but it did not seem to help.

CoponPatrol
07-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I use Berkley Fireline in freshwater and Power Pro in saltwater.

Depending on what knots you tie, they may not work using braided line. Braided line causes the line to slip and some knots won't hold. When braided line first came out we would use a bit of super glue to hold the knots.

I use the palomar knot to tie lures, swivels, etc to the line.

Re swivels: use the ball bearing type

Toledo Kid
07-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Well one plus, I think, to braided is it is abrasive resistant a lot more than mono. Another problem I have is we fish Fletcher's Pond and it's all stumps and heavy heavy cover and your line will get worn down fast there.Well he just showed you that Mono is the toughest.
Most the **** you see the pro's use on tv is just that...they are getting a check to make the show.

Spinning reel should not be loaded with more then 12# test per diameter.
Now your premium lines offer a higher test lines in smaller diameters that is the trick to making your system work for the performance.
Get a high test line in a diameter no bigger then standard 12#.

Ruger
07-18-2011, 02:40 PM
I buy Mono in the 1000 yard spools. Berkley or whatever else is on sale. I re-spool all my rods/reels every spring and my river rig gets changed 2 or 3 times a year. I've tried the braided stuff and didn't care for the texture or the knotting up all by itself.
I use 6/8lb test on all my reels. It's always worked for me so I likely won't change.

wadevb1
07-19-2011, 12:19 PM
I've tried braided and firewire, but ended up putting mono back on the reel.

Malathion
07-19-2011, 12:39 PM
With a spinning reel, you can put a ton of twist on the line when you originally load it on the reel if you're not careful.

pkuptruck
07-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks again guys.

I think my problem, or one of my problems LOL, is that I want a line that I can use for anything from catching some bluegill on worms to casting for bass and pike. I think I'm going to give braided a try and see how it goes. I sort of really want to try this new Sufix 832 line but it's expensive. Spiderwire was actually the one I was leaning toward just because I used to fish with a guy that used it a lot and he never had the problems of line twist we would all get after a day of trolling.

NOT TO BE A WEINNER.... but.. the line twist isnt a result of the BRAND of line... but rather..

the line twist can be caused by a few things....
- improper loading of the spool. VERY common... and once its on all messed up...
it does nothing but birds nest, knot, and tick you off....:cuss:

- bad swivels... nuff said there.... :banana:

fbuckner
07-19-2011, 03:38 PM
I love Spider Wire.

Just dont troll with it unless you have the proper rod guides. It will cut thru ceramic guides like a hot knife thru butter.

Daniels
07-19-2011, 03:40 PM
I've been reading and looking at more line over the past couple of days and P-Line Floroclear gets awesome reviews. I might try this route before I try the braided.

Malathion
07-19-2011, 04:31 PM
If you want to load a reel right, especially with the stupid-expensive line they sell these days, then you need one of these or similar.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=701894&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3 D702237%26type%3Dproduct%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26sea rchPath%3D%252Fcatalog%252Fsearch.cmd%253Fform_sta te%253DsearchForm%2526N%253D0%2526fsch%253Dtrue%25 26Ntk%253DAllProducts%2526Ntt%253Dline%252Bwinder% 2526x%253D19%2526y%253D10%26Ntt%3Dline%2Bwinder%26 WTz_l%3DUnknown&WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-113107

Alternatively, what I've always done is skewer the supply spool with a pencil or wooden dowel and then have someone else hold the dowel while I reel up the line. But the holder has to remember to keep their thumbs on the supply spool to maintain proper drag and tightness and keep the supply from free-spooling. A wrap of plastic electrical tape around their thumbs works well and keeps them from getting a friction burn.

I should probably just throw the $13 at the problem, but changing out line on fishing reels is a biennial event for me at the very least.

Also, lots of shops have this equipment as well, and many will load your reel for little or no charge if you buy the line from them.

Lastly, from just looking into my tackle box, it looks like I'm using SpiderLine 10# test on the bass/pike rod, the good ol' classic green Stren at 6# on my ultralight. There's also some no-name 30# on my catfish/carp rig.

They all work the same, IMHO. Just gotta keep the twist out of them. :shrugs:

Daniels
07-19-2011, 06:50 PM
I actually made something to hold the spool and keep pressure on the spool via a spring and a nut to adjust the tension. Works really well. I always keep it tight though because they say on spinning reels you don't want the spool to move. I had pics of what I made but can't find them now.

Malathion
07-19-2011, 07:03 PM
I actually made something to hold the spool and keep pressure on the spool via a spring and a nut to adjust the tension. Works really well. I always keep it tight though because they say on spinning reels you don't want the spool to move. I had pics of what I made but can't find them now.

In a pinch I've held each side of the dowel solution pinched between my big toes and used the carpet to put the drag on the spool. Mixed results, depending on how many beers I had to make me attempt the effort in the first place. :lol:

Baas140
07-20-2011, 03:48 PM
I use 8 lb. braided spider wire and 10 lb fireline on my poles for bass/pike/walleye. I love the stuff. I never use a leader or a swivel, and never have problems with twisting line. I use it to troll and cast and reel. It doesn't stretch so it's great for setting hooks. I've never had a fish break my line like I used to with mono. I change my line every year, but I get a lot of use out of it and the sun really does a number on the line. For panfish, I just use mono on my ultralight.

As far as spooling, I stick a pencil through the center, and hold it on the carpet with my feet. It holds the line tight enough to be able to spool it tight. I put my reels on one of my two piece rods, take the top piece off, and spool it that way. Works great for me.

Phelptwan
07-20-2011, 06:19 PM
After years and years of dinking with every braided line on the market (available at local stores) I've come back to good ole trilene mono at 8lbs. I also have about 4 spools now for my Sahara that I've been trying different lines on this summer to see what it likes, and as of now, I think I still like Trilene the best (tried spiderwire braid, fireline, power pro, and trilene).

TomE
07-20-2011, 06:27 PM
With a spinning reel, you can put a ton of twist on the line when you originally load it on the reel if you're not careful.

It don't matter how you put line on them ,there is a reason they are called line twister's

TomE
07-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Until it frays ,it depends if you leave it out in the sun ,how often you use it . I used it for 5 years and took it off for mono.Its great for whipping ,as the line cuts through the water easier per # rate because its thinner ,you can use less bass sinker. The only issue I experienced is that sometimes while trolling ,walleyes stay away ,because maybe the braid makes a different noise going through the water .I used 115# Gorilla Braid for Sturgeon by Johnny Lega's ,20# Spider for bass ,perch and walleye . It will cut your hands ,so don't lift a wiggling fish out of the water by the line,unless you have good gloves on.It will wear your pole guides also ,unless your have Spider Proof Guides

This quote is for the people that didn't read all the posts

langenc
07-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Sounds like twisting etc..

Set the pole/reel down w/ bail open. "walk the line out" about 10 yards farther then you will be casting. Make sure all hooks/sinkers/ swivels etc are removed/ Wind the line onto the reel while running it thru your fingers-do that several times.

That removes twists (esp after casting/trolling) and over time will help your line get more flexible. It sounds like it is stiff.

Mi500
07-26-2011, 08:56 AM
on my Bass and panfish rigs i used mono. i do like braid on my trolling and cat rod. if you do try braid use mono backer if you have a plastic spool. both have thier advantages and disadvantages tho. i say try it and see. i love the feed back you get with braid.

TomE
07-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Sounds like twisting etc..

Set the pole/reel down w/ bail open. "walk the line out" about 10 yards farther then you will be casting. Make sure all hooks/sinkers/ swivels etc are removed/ Wind the line onto the reel while running it thru your fingers-do that several times.

That removes twists (esp after casting/trolling) and over time will help your line get more flexible. It sounds like it is stiff.

After a long day of trolling and twisting the line . Remove all terminal tackle ,spool out as much line as you have used that day down behind the boat while at trolling speed , not MGO troll speed .Let the line run behind the boat for awhile ,lettine the water remove the twists . Slowly wind the line back in . Re-attach terminal tackle if so desire . Your line will be mostly twist free . Repeat as neccessary . This can be done in a flowing current off a seawall or riverbank if you're careful