PDA

View Full Version : Column: Though TB in herd decreasing, now's not the time to loosen deer regs

Knimrod
03-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Though TB in herd decreasing, now's not the time to loosen deer regs
March 18, 2006
By Bob Gwizdz
Booth Newspapers

ALPENA -- No topic inspires as much passion among sportsmen in this state as deer hunting. Seemingly harmless topics -- Should the limit be one buck or two? Should hunters be required to hunt minimum acreages to use antlerless permits? -- can turn normally rational individuals into fire-breathing zealots. Disagree and you are likely to be labeled ignorant or stupid, or -- my favorite -- a co-conspirator in some vague plot to destroy deer hunting for some equally vague purpose.

But as sportsmen argue amongst themselves about what policies will provide optimum numbers or bigger antlers, state officials are making decisions that have real-world consequences that many deer hunters rarely consider.

Take, for instance, the case of Kendall Sumerix, a chemistry teacher and beef cattle grower just inside the northeast boundary of Deer Management Unit 452, the tuberculosis zone.

Sumerix, who runs a cow-and-calf operation, has up to 230 head (after spring calving) on his 120-acre ranch. He owns two more pieces of property for hay production and leases more for the same purpose.

Sumerix estimates he spent $17,000 constructing a 4-foot woven wire fence -- with two additional strands of barbed wire on top -- around his cattle ranch and another $15,000 to build a 5-acre enclosure with a 10-foot fence for storing his hay.

Since the fence has gone up, Sumerix said, he's seen only one deer on his property -- during deer hunting season, an animal that was pushed from an adjoining place hopped the fence. By the time Sumerix got out there with his rifle, the deer had already left.

Sumerix walks the perimeter of his place every so often to make sure of the fence's integrity. "I never saw a (deer) track inside the fence," he said.

Then in February, Sumerix got the bad news: One of the cows in his TB-free accredited herd tested positive for M. bovis. All of his cattle will have to be destroyed, which is standard operating procedure.

Officials are uncertain about how Sumerix's cows were exposed. Elaine Carlson, the Department of Natural Resources' biologist in the area, said Sumerix did everything possible, short of enclosing his place in a 10-foot fence, to safeguard his herd. But it wasn't enough.

Although Sumerix will be compensated for his loss, he'll be out of business for at least two years, maybe longer, as he rebuilds a herd and his operation. But more tragic is what is lost in the interim; his 14-year-old daughter, who was planning to show her calf in the 4-H competition for the first time this year, is out of the game, too.

"My daughter is as much attached to her calf as most hunters ever were to their hunting dogs," Sumerix said. "She asked me why they had to take hers."

Fortunately, the methods used to address TB in DMU 452 appear to be working. Both the incidence of tuberculosis infection and the transmission rate of the disease are falling. State officials are optimistic that if they stay the course -- continue to maintain the herd at its present level (or lower) and continue to make baiting and supplemental feeding of deer illegal, the state's deer herd could be TB-free in a decade.

Meanwhile, as TB slowly begins to disappear, political pressure builds to allow the deer herd to grow (by cutting back on antlerless permits) and to allow hunters to begin baiting and feeding again.

That's understandable. Sportsmen are passionate about deer hunting.

But tuberculosis in the deer herd has been one long nightmare and while we could be on the verge of recovering from it, we're not there yet.

As sportsmen push to loosen the regulations, I would hope state officials would perform one simple function before they agree: Ask Kendall Sumerix how much TB in the deer herd is acceptable?

Link to article (http://www.mlive.com/sports/statewide/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/114237780567740.xml&coll=1)

woody1960
03-19-2006, 08:46 AM
If the state wouldn't have allowed "baiting" in the 1st place this problem wouldn't have happened.The state was just looking for a quick buck and it has cost everybody dearly.I grew up hunting the "real" way,my Dad taught me to scout and to look for signs, to look for tracks,rub,etc...I have never baited in my life.Hell, I bet most hunters now don't know how "real" hunting is done.Baiting is not hunting.IMHO I say 1 deer with a bow & 1 deer with a gun period.Dont matter in has antlers on not.If there get to be {to many deer},the yotes and wolves will eat good.

Quaamik
03-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Baiting by hunters is not the problem.

Few hunters put out near as much bait as ranchers used to put out food for cattle on unfenced or poorly fenced land prior to the TB scare.

Even now, many land owners bait for recreational viewing or hunting regardless of the restrictions. Yet TB is still going down. How? Could it be that the rnachers looking to protect thier investment have managed to quarentine areas by fencing them off, seperating cattle, and the elimination of TB infected cattle had something to do with it?

In the wild, TB would have run it's course and been gone before now. The deer with TB would have died out several years ago. Granted, there might have been a decimation of the deer population in that area for a year or two, but they would have rebounded and deer from other areas moved in.

"Something" has kept TB being re-introduced into the animals in the area. My personal opinion is it's the ranchers in the area using contamianted supplies / tools with the livestock. Why else would there be instances when a ranch that lost a herd to TB (destroyed when an infection was found) has another TB instance 2 or 3 years later? Yet the majority of the ranches aren't losing thier herds?

Just my opinion, but I think the TB problem in the deer herd is spill over from a problem the ranchers had prior. I don't have any proof, but the situation just doesn't seem to fit with any other explanation.

fbuckner
03-19-2006, 05:02 PM
TB decreasing huh. The state ag department had all the farmers have their herds tested for TB. The State paid for this one time only they issued ear tags and numbers for each of the cattle. Now they are telling all Ruminating animal owners that their animals will now be fitted with a radio ear tag. these tags can identify an animal in a trailer going down the express way. So here it is in a nutshell they have the means now to track healthy and sick cattle. Now they want to be able to track were and when and how much they are sold for. Running the family farm out and meanwhile these new mega farms in hillsdale, another in the thumb are owned by people from holland ( the country ) and givin 7 year tax abatements. they have been telling the farmer the TB is on the rise.

SIX29
03-20-2006, 01:09 PM
It the course of Nature, when a species of animal becomes overpopulated, Mother Nature takes care of it. Too many Rabbits, Coyotes move in. To many Coyotes, they get the Mange(?)..... TB has been found in deer, way back in the 60's there were cases found. The TB scare was used to reduce the deer herd to Passify Farm Bureau, and the auto insurance industry.

The poblem started when Farm Bureau threated to sue to DNR if they did not get rid of a million deer. DNR offered to put out unlimited doe permits in the effected counties (lower tier of counties, ie, Jackson, hillsdale, etc....). The farmers rejected this, because they didn't want strangers on their land! So, the DNR cuts a deal with the Feds, clear out a million deer in The Huron National Forrest, where a few cases of TB were found!

Our herd of Cattle, in 452 was taken because the test COULD NOT prove our cattle did not have TB. We had a calving operation. They paid us a flat fee per cow, but this did not copensate us for the next 8 to 12 calves each cow would have in the future. Those funds are needed to pay the taxes, while we are out of the cattle business.......

I talked to Tom Wright, owner of Williams Gunsight Company over in Davison, Mi. Tom hunts in the Big Rapids area. Tom stated that the DNR has intiated the same deer management techniques in his area, as that were used in are 452. Doe tags over the counter for a few dollars each, as many as you want. Is your area next?

This is not about TB, it's about crop damage and auto claims.

Randycad
03-20-2006, 08:15 PM
I have not met a insurance company I liked.