PDA

View Full Version : Hi-DesertDog 10/22 Bull Barrel

ftopping91
07-22-2011, 12:53 PM
I recently purchased a Hi-DesertDog branded 10/22 18" bull barrel with spiral fluting and a threaded end.

I haven't utilized the barrel too much so I may change some things down the road and keep everyone updated. Will also post pictures!

Purchased from the hi-desertdog.com for $179.

I'd first like to start out by letting everyone know the negative things that are out there floating around about hi-desertdog. Many people have complained about poor quality products, bad customer service, slow order dispersal or just never receiving a product at all. These are all things that should turn you away from a company but the price and selection kept me convinced to take the risk.

After a few days of not receiving the order I got scared and checked my account online to see what the status was and it still said the order was processing. So I gave them a call worried I would become the next horror story and the person that answered the phone was very nice and actually recognized my name which shows that they are pretty small I guess. She said it was shipped out a couple days ago. Then 20 minutes later the mail came in and there was my barrel!

I opened it up and it was in no way professionally packaged or anything, in a usps box wrapped in cheap bubble wrap. However it looked perfectly safe for shipment.

Out of the bubble wrap the barrel looked and felt very high quality. It is very very heavy though, which is good for me but I know a lot of people don't want the extra weight so this barrel would not be for you. The threads we very nicely done which was a relief because of the reviews on that. Had no problem threading on a A2 flash guard right away.

Installation was smooth and I didn't even need to knock it in or do any sanding. The look afterwards was excellent as well.

I took it to the range today for a little while. The groups were pretty decent at 50yds. I didn't use match grade ammo or anything else performance, all other parts on my 10/22 are original. The groups were a little over an inch.

I'm going to do a little trigger work and maybe get another optic for it (currently ncstar)and some new rings. Then I'll take it again with some better ammo (used cci hp first time). After all that I'll revise my posting and put some photos up.

Overall: I'd buy it again if I had to go back. I may have just gotten lucky this time around but I didn't see any of the problems that people say are out there. It's a decent price and I imagine it will be pretty accurate once I shape up the rest of the gun. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a decent price on a 10/22 bull barrel!

matthew_h
07-23-2011, 10:25 AM
glad to hear you had a good experience with them ,and sounds like a nice barrel for the price . After you do some trigger work your groups should shrink quite a bit ,the stock 10/22 triggers are terrible .

agksimon
07-24-2011, 07:05 AM
I did nothing more than a 45 minute trigger job to my stock 10/22 and it will now shoot 1 inch groups at 50 yards with CCI Mini-Mags.