PDA

View Full Version : Kansas House overrides gun veto

Knimrod
03-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Kansas House overrides gun veto
Mar. 23, 2006
By DAVID KLEPPER
Kansas City Star

TOPEKA — The Kansas House voted 91-33 this morning to override Gov. Kathleen Sebelius’ veto of a bill allowing Kansans to carry concealed weapons.
Following Wednesday’s vote to override in the Senate, the bill will now become law.

Kansas will join the 46 states that already allow concealed handguns.

A two-thirds vote was needed in both chambers to override the veto. The Senate voted 30-10 to override, and 27 votes were needed. In the House, 84 votes were needed.

The bill allows Kansans over 21 to carry a concealed handgun in public if they pass a background check and undergo training. Convicted felons and those with criminal histories of drug use, domestic violence or multiple DUIs would be barred.

Permit applications could begin in July. Applications would go to the local sheriff and would cost up to $150.

Concealed weapons would be banned at schools, bars, sporting events, libraries, courtrooms and places of worship, and any building posting a sign prohibiting them.

The Legislature has passed similar bills in the past, but they have been vetoed, first by Republican Gov. Bill Graves in 1997 and then by Sebelius in 2004. Sebelius said she shared the concerns of law enforcement groups, business owners and religious leaders who opposed allowing legal concealed weapons in “businesses, restaurants, malls and any number of other public places.”

“Hidden weapons make it harder for law enforcement to do its job, and they make Kansas’ workplaces less safe,” she said.

Link to story (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/14169014.htm)

WOLVERINE
03-23-2006, 03:44 PM
It just goes to show you, that governors arent KINGS or QUEENS and they should listen to the people who elected them. Good job Kansans!!!!!

Divegeek
03-23-2006, 06:40 PM
And apparently there is a reciprocity clause, so most likely we will be adding another state to the list that we Michiganders can "legally" carry in.

woody1960
03-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Good Deal!! :)

Scoop
03-25-2006, 02:04 PM
It just goes to show you, that governors arent KINGS or QUEENS and they should listen to the people who elected them. Good job Kansans!!!!!And if they are smart,the fine citizens of the state of Kansas will know just which lever to pull the next time this clownness is up for re-election.

BigBink
03-27-2006, 04:17 PM
And apparently there is a reciprocity clause, so most likely we will be adding another state to the list that we Michiganders can "legally" carry in.

The Kansas AG is empowered to recognize states with similar requirements. I have been told that the MI AG's office plans to contact it's KS counterpart.

Divegeek
03-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Of course, Mike Cox has been doing a very good job of championing our cause. I would probably vote for that man for just about any office.

taurus92
03-28-2006, 06:19 AM
Of course, Mike Cox has been doing a very good job of championing our cause. I would probably vote for that man for just about any office.

My issue with him is the constant BS with "Deadbeat dads" and CS collection. Yet nothing on equal parenting or enforcement of visitation. As far as I can say good riddance to him if another pro gun candidate runs.

Scoop
03-28-2006, 04:53 PM
My issue with him is the constant BS with "Deadbeat dads" and CS collection. Yet nothing on equal parenting or enforcement of visitation. As far as I can say good riddance to him if another pro gun candidate runs.As YOU personally know, I just scrawled my final check to "Fiend of the Court" ... err ... "Friend of the Mother" ... err ... "Friend of the Court", just last June.

As much as I hate to admit it, it's not the AG's fault that CS collection/enforcement is his concern and that parenting/visitation is not - that's the fault of our legislators. Apparently, the parenting side of divorce isn't as important to them (or to the Democrats getting elected in this state) as the money side is ... :|