PDA

View Full Version : CPL?

rsanagustin
07-29-2011, 02:33 AM
Heya, Im a 21 year old male, macomb township.

Id really like to get a CPL. There are some definite things I need to do in the course of my occupation (mostly to and from) where there could be some serious threat to myself.

I would like to apply to get a CPL, however...

Over the past few years, my brother has tried to kill himself over eighteen times. My uncle, who, in essence, is a father to me, is rapidly passing away due to bone marrow cancer. Because of this, I am seeing a doctor who has given me a low dose of xanax (one to two should things get bad) in the event of a panic attack, which can generally be described as not fear, but feelings of remorse, sadness, and unhappiness (obviously related to the stressors at home). Two doctors I have spoken to about this, both agree that I am not dangerous, suicidal, a threat to myself, or others, and I have not been institutionalized nor do I possess a criminal record, and I outright asked one if I had depression or anything like that, and he said "No, your problems are purely circumstantial." Neither think this could stop me from getting a CPL, and a lawyer agreed, but I wanted a more informed opinion, perhaps from someone who has been through something similar.

According to MI law, a mental illness is something that impairs judgment and behavior significantly, the ability to grasp and realize reality, or the ability to cope with the ordinary demands of life. The legal definition of "Mental Illness" does not apply to me.

This means I can safely answer "No" when they have asked if I have a mental illness, or could this stop me from getting a CPL?

pistoltraining
07-29-2011, 05:16 AM
Can you honestly answer the questions on the application and pass the background?

Heya, Im a 21 year old male, macomb township.

Id really like to get a CPL. There are some definite things I need to do in the course of my occupation (mostly to and from) where there could be some serious threat to myself.

I would like to apply to get a CPL, however...

Over the past few years, my brother has tried to kill himself over eighteen times. My uncle, who, in essence, is a father to me, is rapidly passing away due to bone marrow cancer. Because of this, I am seeing a doctor who has given me a low dose of xanax (one to two should things get bad) in the event of a panic attack, which can generally be described as not fear, but feelings of remorse, sadness, and unhappiness (obviously related to the stressors at home). Two doctors I have spoken to about this, both agree that I am not dangerous, suicidal, a threat to myself, or others, and I have not been institutionalized nor do I possess a criminal record, and I outright asked one if I had depression or anything like that, and he said "No, your problems are purely circumstantial." Neither think this could stop me from getting a CPL, and a lawyer agreed, but I wanted a more informed opinion, perhaps from someone who has been through something similar.

According to MI law, a mental illness is something that impairs judgment and behavior significantly, the ability to grasp and realize reality, or the ability to cope with the ordinary demands of life. The legal definition of "Mental Illness" does not apply to me.

This means I can safely answer "No" when they have asked if I have a mental illness, or could this stop me from getting a CPL?

rsanagustin
07-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I can honestly answer those questions truthfully and honestly. People might think it sometimes when they see me eying a cheeseburger, but no. No diagnosed mental illness, not threat to anyone else. Oh and no criminal recorded. Just see the shrinks cause my Pops is dying.

lwout65
07-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Being a lil stressed out is not the same as mental illness IMHO your good to go.

fbuckner
07-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Yes you are good to go. I do not take prescription medications for any of the above described things but know people who do. They do not pose a threat to themselves or others. I firmly believe there are a lot more people out there who are more of a threat and should be on them myself.

Ruger
07-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Xanax! the wonder drug of the new millennium!

Xanax in it's lowest dose (2.5) I believe has been known to impair some people.

As of late they've been giving the drug out to seniors to help them sleep.

It's a drug that can get out of control very fast. I know of one patient that is in his 80's and is dropping 3@day. He only gets out of his chair to get more coffee or to take a leak. He's happy and at his age I see no reason to try to break his habit.

Do what's right for you!

ranttrmike
07-30-2011, 06:26 AM
Xanax! the wonder drug of the new millennium!

Xanax in it's lowest dose (2.5) I believe has been known to impair some people.

As of late they've been giving the drug out to seniors to help them sleep.

It's a drug that can get out of control very fast. I know of one patient that is in his 80's and is dropping 3@day. He only gets out of his chair to get more coffee or to take a leak. He's happy and at his age I see no reason to try to break his habit.

Do what's right for you!
A bit of depression is not the same as mental illness. Everyone get's depressed, and some get a prescription for it. NOT mental illness.

However a family member of ours has had multiple strokes that have impaired his ability to make rational decisions (ie: should I shoot him or say good morning?). He also cannot think clearly long enough to cook for himself, and doesn't care how he looks or smells. That is mental illness, diagnosed.

You're good if you can honestly answer the questions on the form.

dragonGTR
07-30-2011, 08:30 AM
When I was 18 my parents were going through divorce and I saw a head shrinker and had been prescribed a couple different medications (till they found one I felt ok taking). One of these was xanax.

It was temporary, I was not diagnosed with any mental illness, nor have I ever been hospitalized.

I have taken xanax on one other occasion since then for anxiety while I was figuring out a better way to deal with stress, (work, parents, money).

All of this was years ago.

As I stated I have never been diagnosed as having a mental illness, nor have I been hospitalized. I have always been fully aware of reality, and recognized what was going on. Those with mental illness (addiction, schizophrenia, bipolar, etc) do not realize they have a problem most of the time, and do not have control over their feelings or emotions.

I wouldn't carry while taking xanax, however as long as your doctors agree you are not mentally ill and are willing to put in writing that you are no danger, then you should be fine.

I do have my CPL, I did not have to jup through any hoops either. I applied and it arrived in the mail.

That said, your situation does pose a challenge if your brother lives in the same home, can you make sure he never gets his hands on your firearm?

Ruger
07-30-2011, 09:12 AM
A bit of depression is not the same as mental illness. Everyone get's depressed, and some get a prescription for it. NOT mental illness.

However a family member of ours has had multiple strokes that have impaired his ability to make rational decisions (ie: should I shoot him or say good morning?). He also cannot think clearly long enough to cook for himself, and doesn't care how he looks or smells. That is mental illness, diagnosed.

You're good if you can honestly answer the questions on the form.

Where do you see the words depression or mental illness in my post?

My point is that Xanax in it's lowest dose will still impair some (most) people! If your impaired from the use of said drug you shouldn't be carrying a gun!
You can spin it anyway you want to it still comes out the same, if you're taking a drug, prescribed or not and it impairs your judgment or even one minor motor skill you shouldn't be carrying a gun!
You can't answer the question "honestly" if your impaired! Or can you?

JohnJak
07-30-2011, 11:06 AM
How can we tell whether you are crazy or not. Maybe we should all get together and bond a bit so we can give you a definitive answer as to your degree of sanity.

Sorry for sharing my belief here on MGO.:neutral:

TAC
07-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Anyone who's not suffering some degree of anxiety or depression these days, are the insane ones! :scramble:

Actually you might find a CPL will calm you down and restore your comfort level!

rsanagustin
07-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Well, thankfully, your guys support meant alot. A Lawyer told me I did not fit the bill for mentally ill, and both my docs agree that Im not a danger to society and would be willing to put it into writing should that issue come up. Im moving out this week, so things should get alot better. So, Lawyer says Im okay, Docs say Im okay, asking you guys, with information you know and Im presented to you, Its safe to put "No" in response to that mental illness question and just get my damn CPL already? xD

PS. -And is there any way to speed up the process? Im going to be visiting a very dangerous part of town (weekly gunfights, rapes, murders) very often to go see my great uncle at the cancer institute. Takes 2-3 months for us.

Ol` Joe
08-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Well, thankfully, your guys support meant alot. A Lawyer told me I did not fit the bill for mentally ill, and both my docs agree that Im not a danger to society and would be willing to put it into writing should that issue come up. Im moving out this week, so things should get alot better. So, Lawyer says Im okay, Docs say Im okay, asking you guys, with information you know and Im presented to you, Its safe to put "No" in response to that mental illness question and just get my damn CPL already? xD

PS. -And is there any way to speed up the process? Im going to be visiting a very dangerous part of town (weekly gunfights, rapes, murders) very often to go see my great uncle at the cancer institute. Takes 2-3 months for us.

You might find your uncles cancer Institute is a "weapons free zone". I`d be sure to check before trying to carry there.

rsanagustin
08-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Yeah, its a weapon free zone alright. Doesn't extend to all the thugs who've been practicing their carjacking and raping skills on the road there. Way it appears, by the time they get done with the legal BS behind the permit the treatment will probably be over. Not to mention the whole "Open Carry" thing doesnt really fly in cars so thats out of the question.

ibanezfreak4
10-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Yeah, its a weapon free zone alright. Doesn't extend to all the thugs who've been practicing their carjacking and raping skills on the road there. Way it appears, by the time they get done with the legal BS behind the permit the treatment will probably be over. Not to mention the whole "Open Carry" thing doesnt really fly in cars so thats out of the question.

There is no way to speed up the process unfortunately... I had a friend wait 4 months to get his CPL and he FINALLY got it. With what happened over here in Grand Rapids with a schizophrenic psychopath killing too many people, Michiganders finally "found a reason" to carry a gun. Basically it's because of the laziness of our state and their liberalistic ideas behind the "shepards" carrying weapons to protect the sheep and fight off the wolves...

To your earlier question and your symptoms, take it as a day to day question to yourself: "With the amount of stress with life [today], am I able to make a life altering decision to protect those who need to be protected?" With everything you described, get a CPL before the libbys make it impossible...

Keep in mind what the CPL license gives you rights to. What I am referring to is the first statement on the card:

"This license allows the licensee to carry a pistol on or about his person anywhere in the state," <- Since MI is an open-carry state, this allows CPL holders to open-carry a pistol in an area until asked to leave by proper authorities (managers, officers, security).

BUT, make sure to not conceal in those areas for the rest of the sentence "except a licensee shall not carry a CONCEALED pistol at...."

Thanks man, good luck. My recomendation would be to carry a knife that makes crocodile dundee cringe. "That's not a knife.... THERE'S a knife!"

;-)